diy solar

diy solar

Half-cell panels better than full-cell panels for shading?

sidpost

I keep seeing half-cell panels being recommended over full-cell panels to deal with shading issues. If you have any shading issues, won't the entire cell be affected? I am assuming that the paired 'halves' are adjacent to each other and are not a top versus bottom split of the panel.

Actually half cell panels are a top and bottom type of relationship, half cell is a bit of a misnomer as to the orientation and relationship of the cells.

Half cell panels are essentially a large panel made up of two smaller panels of smaller cells divided by a break in the middle of the panel. The top half and bottom half effectively act as separate panels and have their own diodes so while shading on the top half of the panel definitely cripples it’s production the lower half is not as effected as it would be if it were a standard panel.

Actually half cell panels are a top and bottom type of relationship, half cell is a bit of a misnomer as to the orientation and relationship of the cells.

Half cell panels are essentially a large panel made up of two smaller panels of smaller cells divided by a break in the middle of the panel. The top half and bottom half effectively act as separate panels and have their own diodes so while shading on the top half of the panel definitely cripples it’s production the lower half is not as effected as it would be if it were a standard panel.
A common half cell config is effectively 2p3s with a single bypass diode across each group (3 total). The bypass diodes are placed in the middle between the two halves.

Vs 3s with full cell with bypass diode across each third (also 3 total).

Another way to configure half cell is to double the module voltage with half current but that’s not what most people on this forum mean.

I expect these panels to confuse many MPPT so with a bit of shading the string produces only half the power it could.
I don't see the benefit, except for certain special shading situations (like along one edge of all panels in a string.)

I did buy pallet of 24 REC 325W half-cut. For $0.11/W (before shipping), how could I not?
Plan is to use them with Sunny Boy.

Back