diy solar

diy solar

Handling a 40"x80" panel alone?

VincentRapide

Manufacturer warns against handling these panels by one man, but I am what I am :) Also I have a 17ft assistant (forklift) that could help lift these panels off the trailer where they are stacked. So first decision is to always keep the panel in Landscape Mode with a separate sling at each end just as if there was a crew of 2 men. To stabilize this I'm thinking to use a 6ft 4x4 crossbar with the 2 slings hanging near each end and the forklift lifting at the center. Ratchet straps hung on large eye hooks at either end of the crossbar - large enough to allow the nylon to slide thru only when pulled and not by gravity alone. We want this to be a safe journey from stack to ground mount.!!

Hope this makes sense.
__

Manufacturer warns against handling these panels by one man, but I am what I am :) Also I have a 17ft assistant (forklift) that could help lift these panels off the trailer where they are stacked. So first decision is to always keep the panel in Landscape Mode with a separate sling at each end just as if there was a crew of 2 men. To stabilize this I'm thinking to use a 6ft 4x4 crossbar with the 2 slings hanging near each end and the forklift lifting at the center. Ratchet straps hung on large eye hooks at either end of the crossbar - large enough to allow the nylon to slide thru only when pulled and not by gravity alone. We want this to be a safe journey from stack to ground mount.!!

Hope this makes sense.
__
No teens around that want to make a few bucks?

I have 2, 4x4 arrays in landscape with Ironridge rails. If you can get them laid down on the rails, you can slide them up to the top, secure (partially) and then slide the next one up to it. Use ladder between the rails and you can reach over the last one to put the lock down between it and the one above it. Then work your way to the bottom. Much easier with another set if hands, even if they have no real skill other than, "hold this right here".

I have not begun to decide on the framing since I need to clear trailers etc completely from the south side of the house. My framing will need a ledge or maybe just bolts on the bottom row to temporarily lay the lower panel onto. The upper row can be laid on top of the first row initially as it is being disconnected from the 4x4 support beam. First I need to know how deep I can pound barb-wire fence posts into the ground, two feet would be a minimum. If so they could be cut off and used to support the framing. Otherwise I'll need to dig holes and use pre-cast concrete piers.

Doing this writeup has helped me figure out how to mount these monster panels myself without cracking them (with luck!!). Btw the seller emphasized the importance of using 2 persons to handle them in the strongest terms, he must have had some buyer failures :(
--

Hope this makes sense.
__
I’m gonna have to do similarly. Hoping my forllift (tractor forks) will aid in lift and me - on ladder - sliding panels into uni-struts. Like you, I hope this makes sense.

Back