diy solar

diy solar

Have I wasted a bunch of money on the wrong generator?

Of course I want to charge my two batteries up as fast as possible to minimize fuel consumption so I bought a PowerMax 12v. 100amp charger.
I see this confusion all the time. Generator fuel use is load based. a 1000w load on a 2000w gen uses the same fuel use on a 3kw or on a 5kw.
so generator fuel burn between 50% and 90% load is going to be the same across all similar types of generator.

I see this confusion all the time. Generator fuel use is load based. a 1000w load on a 2000w gen uses the same fuel use on a 3kw or on a 5kw.
so generator fuel burn between 50% and 90% load is going to be the same across all similar types of generator.

So a 10000 watt generator burns the same amount of fuel with a 3000 watt loaf as a 5000 watt generator burns with a 3000 watt load?

If this were true then different engine options in cars would all get the same fuel economy.

So a 10000 watt generator burns the same amount of fuel with a 3000 watt loaf as a 5000 watt generator burns with a 3000 watt load?

If this were true then different engine options in cars would all get the same fuel economy.
your car analogy is incorrect as it is ignoring the fact that the cars are shaped differently and MPG is rated at speed were air resistance is one of the largest factors for energy usage. (were power required aka drag is speed CUBED)

You forget that a gal of gas is defined as 114000 BTU/gal (as different formulations of gas have different amounts of energy/gal). so if you burn that in a 100% efficient way then yes they all get the same energy/gal. (which is why the efficiency of the generator matters) but for the sake of the discussion when talking about single cylinder rotating generators (or inverter types) the diffrences between 5-10-15hp versions is basically zero ie they have the same efficiency.

your car analogy is incorrect as it is ignoring the fact that the cars are shaped differently and MPG is rated at speed were air resistance is one of the largest factors for energy usage. (were power required aka drag is speed CUBED)

You forget that a gal of gas is defined as 114000 BTU/gal (as different formulations of gas have different amounts of energy/gal). so if you burn that in a 100% efficient way then yes they all get the same energy/gal. (which is why the efficiency of the generator matters) but for the sake of the discussion when talking about single cylinder rotating generators (or inverter types) the diffrences between 5-10-15hp versions is basically zero ie they have the same efficiency.
Actually, he specified different optioned engines in a certain car… so the analogy is fairly even…

The numbers prove otherwise.

The higher the load an engine is under, the more efficient (BSFC) it is. That's why engines have cylinder canceling systems and why most light duty pickup trucks have puny turbocharged v6's in them now.

Same applies to generators. You get a noticeable improvement in economy if you run it at the highest load possible vs buying one that's too big and under loading it.

Keeping it simple, I promise you that a 10k generator with no load burns far more fuel than a 1000 watt generator with no load.

Fuel economy ratings for cars are all determined using the same drive cycle.

The smaller engine option does better because it operates under a higher load than the larger engine option.

In addition to this, inverter generators are more fuel efficient because they decouple engine RPM from output hz.

This means less reciprocating losses associated with the high rpm.

This also means the engine can be loaded more (greater throttle plate opening) for the given RPM which increases efficiency.

Tapping away on my phone here so can't bore you to tears too much but that is how i understand it.

More BSFC: https://x-engineer.org/brake-specific-fuel-consumption-bsfc/
Above engine appears to be the smart forfour 3-cylinder Diesel engine with 1.5 liter displacement. Gasoline engines seem to have a max BSFC at around 70% maximum tq instead of 80% of the smart Diesel.

Ecomodders have BSFC graphs from many internet years ago.

Nissan in the last week or so, seem to have began selling their e-POWER Kicks in Mexico. Since nobody I have explained it to understood how it works here is another version: It's like a Leaf EV with an onboard Atkinson cycle gasoline/generator that charges a small battery. Since the gasoline engine isn't used to provide propulsion, the gas engine can run at it's optimum BSFC. Also Nissan said they have developed a gasoline engine that is 50% efficient. Don't know if it is being used in the e-power vehicles.

diy solar

diy solar
Back