diy solar

diy solar

Hello from sunny Spain

Finca Life

Hi all - I would just like to say hello from sunny Spain and what a great forum this is. I made a mistake with my handle lol, it should be Finca Life but I can't change it until 4th November... We are 100% off grid and have a self installed 4.2kw panels, with Growatt 5kw inverter and 5.12kw Pytes battery, all backed up by an auto start diesel generator. I have had a few issues in the past (especially with LA batteries) but all is absolutely great now! I am in Jumilla, close to the Alicante border and we are very fortunate to get around 320 days of sunshine each year, making solar here a no brainer. I have no questions (I have learned a lot over the years), will chip in where I can but otherwise enjoy reading the posts - Cheers all!

Hi Finca,
Im close to Torrevieja and am planning an off grid system but still retain grid electric for high power things like the electric hob. My system would be independant from my current house electrics.
I've looked at getting a fully installed system but I don't want to pay 5600 for a system as im getting on in years and the grid tide system pay peanuts for imported units.
Do you know if i want to install my own system, independent from the grid do I need to get it signed off as well as getting the ayuntamiento building consent.
As you may know the install charges and permission to grid tie are quite expensive here at 1100 and 500 euro for 3 kw grid tie system.
If there are other spanish diyers, I would love to hear from you.

Tony

Hi Finca,
Im close to Torrevieja and am planning an off grid system but still retain grid electric for high power things like the electric hob. My system would be independant from my current house electrics.
I've looked at getting a fully installed system but I don't want to pay 5600 for a system as im getting on in years and the grid tide system pay peanuts for imported units.
Do you know if i want to install my own system, independent from the grid do I need to get it signed off as well as getting the ayuntamiento building consent.
As you may know the install charges and permission to grid tie are quite expensive here at 1100 and 500 euro for 3 kw grid tie system.
If there are other spanish diyers, I would love to hear from you.

Tony
Hi Tony and apologies for the late response... I didn't see it. I'm really not sure about the regulations in Torrevieja (we're in Murcia). I would still consider a grid tied system, even if you only get a little back you would still be saving by producing your own power during the day. Depending on when you use it, the hob would work off the panels, or even partially off them. A decent inverter, you can set to solar first then when there isn't enough solar, it would pull the rest in from the grid. It's not strictly all solar or all grid - they are clever pieces of equipment. We have 4kw of panels and can easily produce 10+ kw a day (that's all we can manage to use!) and probably a lot more. Not sure what your rate is but at 0.30c (plus IVA, more tax and now the gas charge) per kw that's a saving of bought electric of 3€ a day nett or 90€ a month. I'm sure, if it's within your remit, you could do the install yourself and just get the final connections done professionally and signed off.

Hi Tony and apologies for the late response... I didn't see it. I'm really not sure about the regulations in Torrevieja (we're in Murcia). I would still consider a grid tied system, even if you only get a little back you would still be saving by producing your own power during the day. Depending on when you use it, the hob would work off the panels, or even partially off them. A decent inverter, you can set to solar first then when there isn't enough solar, it would pull the rest in from the grid. It's not strictly all solar or all grid - they are clever pieces of equipment. We have 4kw of panels and can easily produce 10+ kw a day (that's all we can manage to use!) and probably a lot more. Not sure what your rate is but at 0.30c (plus IVA, more tax and now the gas charge) per kw that's a saving of bought electric of 3€ a day nett or 90€ a month. I'm sure, if it's within your remit, you could do the install yourself and just get the final connections done professionally and signed off.
Hi Finca, Good to hear from you and glad you're happy with your system.
I know grid tie is the easiest route to go and the grants make it cheaper but at my age 70, didnt want to commit too much money. We are like you and our average daily consumption is about 10 kws a day.
My system would be 2.6kw panels, a Thus 3 kilowatt hybrid inverter and 8 x230 amp lifeop4 cells to make a 24v battery. The inverter had a mains input which can charge the batteries when they are getting low but is not grid connected.
I have spoken with two solar parts companies and they say as long as my inverter is not grid connected then it doesnt need permission but I will inform the local townhall. As Im in a residencia I need a 33% vote in my favour to install panels on the roof. Im not sure about the residencia rules but would have thought solar panels correctly installed on a roof wouldnt need permissions.
My findings in the area is that all the solar companies are not interested in helping diyers as they want their full slice of the cherry, which I understand.
I would hope my system would provide most of my electric for 8 months of the year but might struggle in the winter months to get more than 50% of my electric for free. Im also east west facing, not the best situation, but with a low sloping hip roof so that will enhance the situation. I will not bother about feeding the hob and oven because we dont use them much and they are hard wired in. All the other loads will have a seperate cable fed from a switched and fused distribution board.
In my case its not about saving a bob or two but it really concerns me that its an abuse of free power when im running my summer air conditioners and the sun is raining down on my roof.

Tony

Hi Finca, Good to hear from you and glad you're happy with your system.
I know grid tie is the easiest route to go and the grants make it cheaper but at my age 70, didnt want to commit too much money. We are like you and our average daily consumption is about 10 kws a day.
My system would be 2.6kw panels, a Thus 3 kilowatt hybrid inverter and 8 x230 amp lifeop4 cells to make a 24v battery. The inverter had a mains input which can charge the batteries when they are getting low but is not grid connected.
I have spoken with two solar parts companies and they say as long as my inverter is not grid connected then it doesnt need permission but I will inform the local townhall. As Im in a residencia I need a 33% vote in my favour to install panels on the roof. Im not sure about the residencia rules but would have thought solar panels correctly installed on a roof wouldnt need permissions.

My findings in the area is that all the solar companies are not interested in helping diyers as they want their full slice of the cherry, which I understand.
I would hope my system would provide most of my electric for 8 months of the year but might struggle in the winter months to get more than 50% of my electric for free. Im also east west facing, not the best situation, but with a low sloping hip roof so that will enhance the situation. I will not bother about feeding the hob and oven because we dont use them much and they are hard wired in. All the other loads will have a seperate cable fed from a switched and fused distribution board.
In my case its not about saving a bob or two but it really concerns me that its an abuse of free power when im running my summer air conditioners and the sun is raining down on my roof.

Tony
That sounds fair enough, although I'm not sure how much aircon you could run of 2.6kw of panels as they tend to be from 2.2kw upwards per unit. An east / west situation isn't going to provide you with full power from the panels either although you will benefit earlier in the morning and later in the evenings. Also, the benefit of grid tie is you don't have to spend thousands on batteries and you still get the same benefits from your panels, enabling you to use all your generated power, backed up when necessary by partial grid substitution. In any case, you will still have the grid, so seems pointless to buy expensive batteries. I hope that makes sense...

Andy

Andy,
I tend to agree with you re using gridtie, so much less fuss.
Re the air conditioning, I put a watt metre on my old, 18years, aircon and was amazed at how low it actually took in the heat of summer, it took about 1.2 kilowatt for the first 15 mins and then dropped to about 800 watts. So I expect my new mitsibuti inverter air con to take less than that.
The only good thing about west facing panels is they give a lot of power when most needed in the afternoons and early night time. I will put 1.8 kws of panels on the west roof which should run an aircon and put some charge back into the battery.
I was told when I got my Ibredrola quote for grid tie for 5600euros, for 3.6kws, that I should get nearly some 1600 euros as an eu rebate. Did you recieve any rebate, it can take 18 months.?
I would hope I too could claim rebate on batteries and the equipment, but as you know paperwork and technicalities can be difficult in Spain.
As an aside, I have an 1000watt, 48v ebike and cycle some 60kms on a charge and an amazed how good lithium batteries are. Ive done nearly 2500 kms in the 18 months Ive had the battery. So I have confidence in lit. batteries.

I have sourced a supply of batteries from china, Docan, Jenny Wu, who comes well recommended on Utube. 8 cells, 3.7volts at 230ah and 8 in series give you 24v at some 5.8kw, but you also need a BMS, battery management system at 120euros and the total cost would be 1100 euros.
Yes, I know, gridtie is less fuss and not much more expensive., especially if grants are guaranteed
Thanks for your thoughts.

Tony

Hi Andy,
Keep well and once I get townhall and my residents permission I will update my plans. I have to wait until february for the residents agm so have plenty of time to ponder.
Tony

Back