diy solar

diy solar

Help needed please

Gadget.26

Hi all
I have a catering van. Currently using a generator to run it which costs me around 10-15 pounds a day. I run around max to max 2.5kva so looking to go batteries but want to run 3kva not that I’m probably guna anywere near that every day but just want to be in safe side in case I add extras later on down the line.

I have a fuse board in the back of the van. Can I stick an inverter in the back of the van or is it dangerous as I have gass bottles in the back. It it fire boarded off.

Also what inverter and batteries etc will I need to run a 3kva set up ? And will be be better to connect the battery to original battery ? Or direct to my alternator

Thanks zaf

It is best to first list what appliances that you plan to use in watts for each appliance and how long per use or day each appliance will draw power, as well as at what AC voltage.

Otherwise no one can give you helpful advice on inverter size, surge loads or battery capacities.

Appliance watts should ideally be measured in use with a watt meter though every appliance has a label listing the maximum watts and or amps at what voltage on the back or bottom of the appliance, which will give you the Max watts, then you input the time of use.

People put inverters in vans all the time.

Some inverters do create an electrical spark at some functions, so should not be close to abundant or perhaps any flammable gas. It depends on the proximity and gas concentration.

Creating high watt heat, for say boiling water, baking, using a toaster, microwave oven are all extremely energy intensive and can very quickly draw down a battery. How quickly depends on the appliance watts and time of use.

Maybe keep the the cooking batteries separate from the van battery. An automotive alternator is not designed for prolonged high capacity battery charging but can work short term.

Also search the forums for low frequency vs high frequency inverters. Not all inverters are equal.

A Victron inverter would probably do the job you need IF you have enough battery storage for the watts and hours of use required.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back