diy solar

diy solar

help on Auto Transfer unit.

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and first-time post.

I've watched a ton of DIY videos as know nothing about solar systems. But I have a reverse issue with respect to an Auto Transfer unit.

I need a unit that is on Grid power by default and when I lose Grid power (that happens several times a month where I live in California) it will switch to the solar system. I live in a 1200 sq ft home and don't want to spend the money on a Solar system at this time.

My home pulls on the average 500 watts (things that are on all the time) and up to 2k if microwave in use and the coffee pot is one or charing my car.

So does anyone know of an Auto transfer switch that is reviewed on DIY videos that can be on-grid then switch to solar/battery when I lose grid power?

I might be misunderstanding, but your scenario is the usual function of a transfer switch. Historically, generally, it switches over to a generator, but it can just as easily be solar. There should be lots of those switches on the market, with reviews.

Also, when you do install a solar system, you could get an inverter (or a "combo" unit of charge controller+inverter) that has a transfer switch built-in.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back