diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18kpv question

Zeebest001

I have been researching away on auto transfer switches and manual switches etc. it seems most these switches, switch when losing grid power, makes sense.

My question is, with the EG4 or any other hybrid, is it smart enough, am I able to tell it to pull from solar first, then battery, then the grid if need be?

If it can do this, which I think I can, why would I need to get an interconnect with my electric company? They wouldn’t even know I have the unit, besides my bill being way less.

Second question, are there any videos showing how to set this up into my breaker panel.

Thanks

My question is, with the EG4 or any other hybrid, is it smart enough, am I able to tell it to pull from solar first, then battery, then the grid if need be?
Yes
Most AIO's have the settings for this. (Off grid or hybrid models)
If it can do this, which I think I can, why would I need to get an interconnect with my electric company? They wouldn’t even know I have the unit, besides my bill being way less.
No grid-tied hybrid system is 100% foolproof for not exporting.
Second question, are there any videos showing how to set this up into my breaker panel.
Probably several

Thanks, I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, I will just keep searching until I plug in the right keywords to find the best videos, thanks everyone for the help

Yes
Most AIO's have the settings for this. (Off grid or hybrid models)

No grid-tied hybrid system is 100% foolproof for not exporting.

Probably several
It isn’t 100% fool proof I understand. But I still won’t need to let my electric company know, right? Or is it necessary for them to know?

It isn’t 100% fool proof I understand. But I still won’t need to let my electric company know, right? Or is it necessary for them to know?
They do require it. (Legally)
If your equipment is capable of exporting. (Whether you choose to use it that way or not)
It's up to you to decide if you want to risk it.
It might be a good idea to find out what they will do, if they catch you.
To help you determine if the risk is worth it.

They do require it. (Legally)
If your equipment is capable of exporting. (Whether you choose to use it that way or not)
It's up to you to decide if you want to risk it.
It might be a good idea to find out what they will do, if they catch you.
To help you determine if the risk is worth it.

Seems like the fine is pretty significant from what I have read. They can pull your meter and force you to meet all their requirements, permits, and NEC before they reinsert the meter.

If there is an outage and your unpermitted change harms or kills one of their workers while they are fixing it I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

My twice cents.

Seems like the fine is pretty significant from what I have read. They can pull your meter and force you to meet all their requirements, permits, and NEC before they reinsert the meter.
Yup, it's different from one utility to another.
This is why it's important to know the risk, before you take it.

If there is an outage and your unpermitted change harms or kills one of their workers while they are fixing it I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.
This is a non issue with UL listed equipment.
(As long as it's connected correctly)

I have been researching away on auto transfer switches and manual switches etc. it seems most these switches, switch when losing grid power, makes sense.

Thanks

Through the monitoring system or on the display you can configure the settings for different work modes.

One more question, maybe I should make a new thread.

I really want my solar to be on a gazebo (pretty big one). The only issue with this is it isn't permitted, Green Lancer charged us $1500 to draw up prints to make it pass inspection. The amount of work required is crazy, we were told we need to remove the foundation basically to physically show the foundation setup with the wood going into the concrete. Also we would have to install more beams ontop etc etc. A huge job.

So my question is, since we are going to grid tie this. Can we just have the electric company sign off on the install or whatever they do? Will they also inspect the solar panels? Or do they just look at their box. Basically I want to do this right but at the same time not to rebuild this huge gazebo that is structurally sound.

Back