diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Hybrid Mini Split 12k/24k - Wiring Question

I would like to install the EG4 Hybrid Mini Split 12k (considering 24K) and see that solar can be directly connected to the unit.

My question: Is it at all possible to use existing solar running to EG4 6000XP inverter to power the mini split? In essence, shared solar for both the EG4 6000XP and the EG4 Hybrid Mini Split. If so, how would something like that be wired up? In other words, does the hybrid mini split need it's own dedicated solar panels? The setup is completely off-grid and will never be tied to the grid.

I would recommend a dedicated array if you were wanting to power the mini-split off of DC. Otherwise, you can connect the mini-split to the loads panel and power it off of AC with the 6000XP.

Solar panels are cheap compared to batteries, if you have unobstructed space for panels size accordingly and and you can run basically free all day and just use your batteries at night.
If you DC couple to the battery bus you can still run during the day from excess solar. And avoid the 💩 show from attempting to have two MPPTs driving the same array or switching.

Same with tapping in after the inverter.

DC coupling adds the extra complexity that the AIO may get confused as to the SoC because, from its POV, there’s a 👻 stealing energy. Running it off the AC stays within the normal operating lines of the inverter, at the potential cost of extra equipment to support the additional watts.

Back