diy solar

diy solar

24K BTU EG4 solar mini-split sizing questions

Ah some how I didn’t think you had a ridge vents due to you having the attic fans.
Another pointer the roof is not setup correctly...
Ridge with soffit vents is the best a ventilated can get.
Attic fans work fine with a ridge, but attic power ventilator fans are a shortcut that defeats the value of the ridge.

Ah some how I didn’t think you had a ridge vents due to you having the attic fans.

I actually don't have conventional ridge vents, but I do have powered vents at the very top of the back(one)side of the roof (not both sides like in the diagrams). This gives essentially the same eave(low), ridge(high) venting (without short circuiting). The fans evacuate the highest point of the roof line where the hot air rises and pools.

This configuration also works in conjunction with whole house fans. It creates a push/pull configuration until the ridge heat cools down enough to turn off the powered vents. Then it turns into a push configuration until the house is cooled down.

The second diagram shows how short circuiting could happen with both ridge vents and high vents which is not my case.

short-circuiting.png

For some reason, I haven't seen conventional ridge vents used here (possible wild fire/blowing ember code issues).

The best roof is probably a SIP roof so the attic space does not reach (or exceed) outside ambient temps and roast HVAC ductwork.

sip-roof.png

Last edited:
I have 2 locations for ground mounts. One favors morning/mid day, one favors afternoon, later evening
I was just going to say using mine here, as you might imagine you don't need much A/C in the AM, but need Heat then if your location favors Heating.

Secondly, just like any Solar installation, consider the performance bell curve of due S = low production early AM / late evening and rotate from due S with the first item in mind. These mini splits are kind of a special individual application of Solar of sorts (?)

oh yeah? got a link to the one you are ordering? I'd like to do the same

thank you! what website did you get that from? sorry, I may be dumb, all I see is a screenshot

Back