diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar and EG4 12k BTU Solar Mini-Split

Recovering EE

I just finished installing this mini-split, and it came right up, without any problems. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it *was* a lot of work for one person. My son helped me hoist the panels up to the roof, but I did everything else myself. I've had quite a lot of experience in household wiring, which can be daunting. I ordered it from SS in mid-September, and it arrived at the end of November. I knew it would be a long lead-time, because it is such a feature-rich and in-demand product.

While waiting, I found a source that was willing to sell me only four 360W Trina panels (A1 Solar), and I used the SS 6" mini-rail mounts to install them. I ran a dedicated GFCI breaker-protected circuit, and had it all ready to go, when the mini-split arrived.

I chose the Trina Panels, because they have a low short-circuit current (Isc). The EG4 mini-split doesn't want to see anything above about 11.5A, and the Trina panels are well below that. I wired the PV in series, and the open-circuit voltage (Voc) of the string was well below the maximum specified by the mini-split documentation (even in cold weather).

So far, so good. This was my first experience with Signature Solar, and I have zero complaints about their service. I called about the 10 panel minimum purchase limitation, and was informed why it's there. I was also informed about the strict necessity of the 11.5A Isc limitation on the mini-split's PV by the person who answered the phone, which was very helpful. I was never put on hold, and the call was answered immediately.

My next step is to place an order for 6.4kW of PV, an inverter, battery, and the entire kit to make it work. This installation will be a *lot* of work, but will be rewarding in the long run.

Congrats. I've had one 24k EG4 mini split for coming up on a year, and am finishing installing 2 more 12k units on bedrooms. Very satisfied with them.

What's your end game with multiple systems and with the hybrid mini split?? Most here say to just put it all on one big system and run conventional mini splits. I'm not entirely opposed to that, but thought to offload some wattage and or have the redundancy of the solar / grid hybrid splits... ?‍♂️ :)

Congrats. I've had one 24k EG4 mini split for coming up on a year, and am finishing installing 2 more 12k units on bedrooms. Very satisfied with them.

What's your end game with multiple systems and with the hybrid mini split?? Most here say to just put it all on one big system and run conventional mini splits. I'm not entirely opposed to that, but thought to offload some wattage and or have the redundancy of the solar / grid hybrid splits... ?‍♂️ :)

I'm going to take half my house completely off grid. When I did an 18 month to-the studs remodel on my single-story 1969 suburban 1500 sf house, I purposefully put the back half on a sub-panel. I'll be detaching the feed from the main, and attaching it to the 6000xp-based off-grid system. It will greatly reduce the utility load on the other half of the house that will remain grid-connected. I placed the order with SS yesterday.

I just liked the idea that in the summer, we can use air conditioning during the day guilt-free. I'm also going to run a 6" insulated duct from the bedroom with the mini-split to our great room, and using a duct fan, push air out of the bedroom to encourage circulation throughout the house.

With the exception of a north-facing portion of the roof, we'll be pretty much at PV capacity when I'm done.

I just finished installing this mini-split, and it came right up, without any problems. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it *was* a lot of work for one person. My son helped me hoist the panels up to the roof, but I did everything else myself. I've had quite a lot of experience in household wiring, which can be daunting. I ordered it from SS in mid-September, and it arrived at the end of November. I knew it would be a long lead-time, because it is such a feature-rich and in-demand product.

While waiting, I found a source that was willing to sell me only four 360W Trina panels (A1 Solar), and I used the SS 6" mini-rail mounts to install them. I ran a dedicated GFCI breaker-protected circuit, and had it all ready to go, when the mini-split arrived.

I chose the Trina Panels, because they have a low short-circuit current (Isc). The EG4 mini-split doesn't want to see anything above about 11.5A, and the Trina panels are well below that. I wired the PV in series, and the open-circuit voltage (Voc) of the string was well below the maximum specified by the mini-split documentation (even in cold weather).

So far, so good. This was my first experience with Signature Solar, and I have zero complaints about their service. I called about the 10 panel minimum purchase limitation, and was informed why it's there. I was also informed about the strict necessity of the 11.5A Isc limitation on the mini-split's PV by the person who answered the phone, which was very helpful. I was never put on hold, and the call was answered immediately.

My next step is to place an order for 6.4kW of PV, an inverter, battery, and the entire kit to make it work. This installation will be a *lot* of work, but will be rewarding in the long run.
This is the exact post I've been looking/waiting for!

Thanks for sharing!

I initially thought about going with an EG4 minisplit that had direct solar input, then I thought about it, unless you just have PERFECT SUN at all times it doesn't make sense, most people that get them (from what I saw) end up tying them back to the house grid so they don't shut off when a cloud blocks the sun.
Honestly the only reason I can come up with for going with the minisplit that lets you run solar panels directly into it would be you live in a state like Georgia that limits Residential Grid Tied solar to 10 kw and you need something to do with the panels that would put you in excess of that 10kw limit. Now if you could run that mini-split off a 48v battery and just keep the battery charged via solar with a small solar charge controller then things would be different, but those unit need a DC minimum input of like 96v or something IIRC so even thats not an option.

chose the Trina Panels, because they have a low short-circuit current (Isc). The EG4 mini-split doesn't want to see anything above about 11.5A, and the Trina panels are well below that. I wired the PV in series, and the open-circuit voltage (Voc) of the string was well below the maximum specified by the mini-split documentation (even in cold weather).
Deye Solar the company that manufactures the unit stated the following as a comment on this youtube video:
"Hello. The label marked ISC 12A but actually even u connect 15A panel or parallel solar panel make 20A the unit works. But maximum current allow to pass to the unit is 13A. This will not damage the unit."

I just installed my unit and I’m very interested in that statement from Deye. I’m very new so I’m a bit worried about making a mistake. I want to do two separate strings in parallel. One facing southeast and one southwest. The voltage would be a little over 200 which is fine. But with two arrays facing different directions It would be a bit over 20 amps.

I have 10 of these and I was going to face 5 one direction and 5 in another to compensate for winter weather.

IMG_5935.jpeg

I just installed my unit and I’m very interested in that statement from Deye. I’m very new so I’m a bit worried about making a mistake. I want to do two separate strings in parallel. One facing southeast and one southwest. The voltage would be a little over 200 which is fine. But with two arrays facing different directions It would be a bit over 20 amps.

I have 10 of these and I was going to face 5 one direction and 5 in another to compensate for winter weather.

View attachment 201617

I was planning on the same thing, half east half west. Did you hook yours up? I haven’t placed the order yet.

I was planning on the same thing, half east half west. Did you hook yours up? I haven’t placed the order yet.
Finished it all up today. All facing south, 1 series 320volts. I wanted to do 4 east and 4 west to catch the setting sun in the hot summer. But I was worried about amps in parallel so we will see how it works. Even with the clouds and rain I get a few watts. So far so good aside from the stupid remote reverting everything to Celsius so I have to use my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5999.png
    IMG_5999.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 5
Yes the more I read the less I think about doing parallel strings. I also read Deye actually manufactures these units and they clearly say to not do parallel. I might just do all east facing because that is the best shade free space I have.

Back