diy solar

diy solar

Overpaneling EG4 24000btu solar direct mini split

Cmiller17363

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m wondering if you can overpanel an EG4 solar direct mini split. I want to use 2 24000btu units primarily for heat in the winter so I’m trying to overpanel to produce decent heat even on cloudy days. Something like the talesun 400w bifacial panels from signature solar wired 10s2p for about 360voc. The Isc will be 22-24 amps due to parallel strings. Is this an issue? I know most SCC’s can be overpaneled pretty significantly and be happy as a clam but I don’t know about the mini splits.

I’m deliberating the chiko car port as a pergola and wiring direct to 2 of the 24000btu mini splits.

Suggestions including respectful criticism welcome!

I don't see any reason to not overpanel anything.
If you have any concerns, just install a fuse rated for the maximum it can draw. Then , even if something went wrong inside the MPPT, it's still protected.

When I bought the EG4 12k BTU solar mini-split, I was clearly told at the time of the order to not exceed the short-circuit current rating (Isc). The 12k unit's Isc is <12A. In fact, I was told to have a margin below that, if possible. My 1400W of PV has an Isc of 10A, and it works great. I had to choose my panels carefully.

The Isc of the 24k BTU unit is also <12A. I'd tread carefully with your panel configuration, and insure it comes in less than about 11.5A...under all conditions. Low temps can cause current to spike above nominal values. Panels usually come with a graph that shows temp characteristics.

Good luck!

Voltage is pushed, never exceed the limits.
Current must be drawn, you can make as much available as you want.
But at some point it gets wasteful.

I think the same as Tim, but read what recovering ee is talking about. The whole reason I posted this thread was for this exact conversation 🤣

I’m not interested in pursuing the project if the mini splits can’t be overpaneled.

FWIW, I recall reading that the folks at Solar ACDC in Australia commonly install two series strings of panels (one string facing east, one string facing west) in parallel feeding their solar hybrid mini-spit units to flatten and elongate the daily power curve.

I just installed my unit and I’m very interested in this thread. I’m very new so I’m a bit worried about making a mistake. I want to do two separate strings in parallel. One facing southeast and one southwest. The voltage would be a little over 200 which is fine. But with two arrays facing different directions It would be a bit over 20 amps.

signaturesolar.com

NE Solar 370W Mono Solar Panel | NESW 370MH-M6 (Black)

Signature Solar provides solar panels, off-grid solar systems, grid-tie, and hybrid systems. Quality solar inverters, bifacial solar panels, complete solar kits, solar batteries. Featuring brands such as EG4 Electronics with their solar battery, LifePower4 and EG4 LLifePower4 and EG4 LL
signaturesolar.com
signaturesolar.com
I have 10 of these and I was going to face 5 one direction and 5 in another to compensate for winter weather.

IMG_5935.jpeg

Back