diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

Well I am in a Weird Place. After 8 months of operation, 1 of my 3 units quit "blowing"
- It was on and I had not turned it off
- But the blower was not running
- Lights were on, but "no one was home"
- Compressor was on
- So I spun the "squirrel cage" and the blower started
- But the cage looks really dirty

So I guess I really need to take this unit apart and clean it per @SmitHVAC 's video.

I was surprised this was so dirty after only 8 months

Speaking of 1 yr anniversary, quick stats. This is for 1 24k BTU unit hooked to 7 385W panels, 38N latitude, fixed 25 degree angle ground mount. Pro tip: it's overpaneled (good news / bad news). Angle doesn't make much difference. Blows into 1000 sq ft 1st Floor of my 2500 sq ft place.

2.4Mwh Solar usage of 4.2Mwh PVWatts potential = 57.2% Solar harvest of potential

2.4Mwh of 2.61Mwh run on Solar = 92% of time operation on Solar

My annual total power usage dropped from 18Mwh to 12.6 Mwh for a 5.4Mwh savings, I pay $130/Mwh so $700 annual savings.

KEEP IN MIND comfort has increased since install, I (edit: PREVIOUS thermostat settings Lol. On Solar, i set it crazy warm or cold respectively) set thermostat at 58 winter / 81 summer during daytime and basically 68 otherwise. (I have an old school single stage Geothermal HP)

Last edited:
I installed 2 more 12k units on bedrooms, which, whether hybrid Solar or not, is a freaking fantastic idea - so little power is used one way or the other and comfortable as he11 as many of us here are discovering.

I have some kind of handshake disagreement going on with the 12k's as control is switched between
app<->remotes, degrees F changes to Degrees C. I guess I am going to have to get ahold of SS. Ugh. See linked video short.

The two 12ks are the old style non DIY lineset, I bought them on SS blowout sale when they rolled out the DIY .

EG4 remote problem

Edit: Signature Solar has (quite quickly and pleasantly, really) responded, and this is a known problem, remotes with this "bug". I am on a list to get new remotes when they get a box of them :)

Will update when that happens.

Last edited:
Well I am in a Weird Place. After 8 months of operation, 1 of my 3 units quit "blowing"
- It was on and I had not turned it off
- But the blower was not running
- Lights were on, but "no one was home"
- Compressor was on
- So I spun the "squirrel cage" and the blower started
- But the cage looks really dirty

So I guess I really need to take this unit apart and clean it per @SmitHVAC 's video.

I was surprised this was so dirty after only 8 months

I had one do that at my old house. After pulling it apart some I found the squirrel cage was full of dust and rabbit fur. We had long haired rabbits as pets one one point. Nothing sheds like a long hair rabbit. Nothing. The fur goes everywhere with a good bit being airborne apparently.

After cleaning it out it did fine.

Well I pulled it apart tonight. Got as deep as removing the "squirrel cage" fan blades. Was not that dirty at all. Coils were pristine. Blower motor was deeper behind more plastic, so I never got a visual of it. I cleaned everything. It's behaving ...

... But why did the blower motor just stop the other day . Odd.

Wait ... WHAT ? ...
THE APP Let's You SET SCENES ???
😲

OK ... Have I just been missing this? Did this Just Get Added to the App ? ? ?

I just saw tonight that the Solar AirCon app allows for the creation of scenes ... User defined "If - Then" IFTTT conditions.
- how long has this been in the app?
- Any body tried it? does it work?
- This would be a game changer fulfilling several of the app requests I had

If the out side temp is 80, set the unit to cool at 73
If the outside temp is 50 set the unit to heat at 68
If the time is 7pm then turn the unit down to 65

Lots of possibilities.

Last edited:
Others, please try it?? I set up a test Scene to turn unit on at a time and set temp to 75. DID turn ON, temp didn't adjust, just normal operation of coming on at whatever last setting was...
So, 0 for 1 on this. Ah, :poop:
Screenshot_20240126_073820_Solar Aircon.jpg

Just spitballing, but maybe try each command with its own "IF" condition. E.g., "IF TIME 0740 THEN ON" and "IF TIME 0741 THEN SET TEMP 75". If that works, try them with the same time (but still separate commands) to see if they both still happen.

Indeed!! Thx Gary. That works 💪
As you suggested, I did use different times 1 minute apart for the action.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_103232_Solar Aircon.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_103232_Solar Aircon.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 7
Indeed!! Thx Gary. That works 💪
As you suggested, I did use different times 1 minute apart for the action.
Nice

I tried a test this morning to try to and turn 2 unit on when the outdoor temperature hits 76, and I said a bunch of parameters,
- turn on at 79f,
- set the units to 73,
- cool,
- AC limit,
-fan speed low.

It got to 81° but the units never came on

By the way if you don't want to give the Chinese app your location, you can always use "select on a map" , and choose the location of someone you don't like.

I have nine conditions for two different units in my "if the temperature gets to 79°" statement. But I think I just figured out why it didn't work.

I had it set to equal to, you can also set it to greater than or less than. So I'm going to try less than is the temperature starts to fall again

1000005508.jpg

Well I just confirmed it works with a single time command, and it turned two units on. So it appears it will work with 1 IF condition and 2 THEN conditions. At least for time, I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for the temperature to drop

But, I just had it performed this group of three no problem. So maybe it's intermittent with the on command. Like you should set "NO" first and then leave a minute and then set multiple commands

1000005509.jpg

Here is what I have seen and tested so far. Still do not have anything solid set up, but there are a lot of possibilities

The Scenes control does seem to work though. Did they App Developer just add this, or did I just miss it in the App?

Anyway ...

CONDITION Statements

OutSide Temp
- I have gotten it to turn on (still reliability testing) IF you use Greater Than or Less than
- Seems if you use "= to" what Might happen is the outside temp changes quickly and the reporting site jumps from say 73 to 76 in reporting
- This would cause a = to 75 trigger to be missed
- I have gotten this condition to work with several different THEN statements included in 1

When Device Changes
- I have used this to set up ALL the OTHER desired Parameters AFTER the Device Switches on
- Works (still reliability testing) even with several THEN statements are included in 1
- So if the Unit is switched On for whatever reason (Scene OR Manually) it then meets all the Other THEN statements
- And this "When Device Changes" condition executes if the Condition is "Device Turns On"
- Useful if say it is proven that Scenes cannot reliability do ON and several other statements in 1
- BUT ... Ever notice how when you use the REMOTE to turn the unit on ... It Defaults to the last setting on the REMOTE?
- This is a pain if you mostly use the app
- BUT you could use this SCENE to set up your Most Likely Conditions and when switching the unit on via the remote, it will "default" to these settings
- This happened to us in the middle of the night once. Wife used the remote to turn the unit on, but made no other changes. Within an hour we were burning up

Tap-To-Run
- I am still testing this condition, but seems to be a good way to have multiple common changes rolled into one tap
- A Scene Named "Cool to 75" could be a 1 Tap Control to: Turn the Unit on / Set to Cool Mode / Temp to 75 / Fan to Hi / Lovers to Swing / AC Limiter On ... Etc

Schedule
- This is essentially an Advanced Timer that allows you to change All the units settings on a schedule
- Still testing if this has to happen in a minute by minute multiple settings change
- OR if it can have multiple changes in 1
- Worse case in my testing so far seems to be, you'd need to set 1 scene to get the unit on ... Then a 2nd scene with the rest of you settings
- BUT you can also use "When Device Changes" for the rest of the settings ... So this is kinda of a word of caution if you already use a "When Device Changes" scene for a Typical Setting Scene. It might mess up a Scheduled All in one scene.

See what I mean ?? 🤪

One thing I am seeing so far in testing the App is that TEMP settings default to Even numbers. A setting of 73 would set to 74 in cool mode. But I do not yet know if this is reversed in Heat mode. Say 73 setting to 72 in heat. Or maybe I am just losing it .... YMMV 🤣

I just Got TAP-to-RUN to Execute 8 commands in 1 Tap
- Switch on
- Temp to 70
- Mode Auto
- Light On
- Fans Speed Auto
- Horizontal On
- Vertical On
- AC Limiter Off

So there is that

Okay so today's test. I created one scene to turn one unit on at 81° f. Then I created a second scene to be triggered when the unit came on to set eight different parameters.

The scene that triggered the unit on was set to greater than 80°, and it worked and the unit came on at 81. But the eight other statements set to trigger when the unit came on, they did not fire.

So I am now testing a single scene with a trigger for the unit to come on greater than 82° with seven other conditions to see if that one fires all the conditions in one scene

Back