diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

M]314.2.4.1Ductless mini-split system traps.​

Ductless mini-split equipment that produces condensation shall be provided with an in-line check valve located in the drain line or a trap.
You forgot the first part.

[M]314.2.4Traps.​

Condensate drains shall be trapped as required by the equipment or appliance manufacturer.

[M]314.2.4.1Ductless mini-split system traps.​

Ductless mini-split equipment that produces condensation shall be provided with an in-line check valve located in the drain line or a trap.

How about a complete IMC code reference for this. I didn't have time to dig up deets yet.

"IMC Section M307.2.4.1–Ductless Mini-split System Traps: “Ductless mini-split equipment that produces condensate shall be provided with an inline check valve located in the drain line, or a trap.”

Well, at least not a Safety issue as you won't be sucking sewer gas up a mini split condensate line unless you live next door to the treatment plant...or the killer bee hive flies up the line.

Anyone got a good check valve?? Wondering if this could contribute into turning the indoor unit/ condensate pan into your own indoor gooey green swamp :unsure:

When I was buying PVC for the condensate line, I bought a trap. Later, in the installation manual, I noticed they (Mitsubishi) had an illustration with an 'X' through a trap. Instead, they indicated straight piping (w/ drop, of course), so that's what I installed.

I just had a quick look online for the illustration but couldn't find it. So maybe the entire installation was a fever dream.

You forgot the first part.

[M]314.2.4Traps.​

Condensate drains shall be trapped as required by the equipment or appliance manufacturer.

[M]314.2.4.1Ductless mini-split system traps.​

So which is it, does 314.2.4.1 trump 314.2.4 ???

Gotta love regulations, they can mean anything anyone want's them to.

So which is it, does 314.2.4.1 trump 314.2.4 ???

Gotta love regulations, they can mean anything anyone want's them to.
Manufacturer trumps all. Pretty simple, they designed it and know what it contains internally. Some units have a P trap internally. So whatever the manufacturer specifies, just like UL listed trumps NEC.

314.2.4.1 is subset of 314.2.4

For the record the Section 307 reference, now that I had a chance to look it up, says exactly the same thing as Section 314:

Screenshot_20231023_151340_Samsung Internet.jpg

If the array for this unit were to be installed on a house then what would be the best way to install rapid shutdown when there is no inverter? I have a 12k btu unit on the way. I'm debating on having the array ground mounted or on the roof. The roof would be idea, but I'm not entirely sure about the rapid shut down requirements.

FYI

My DIY 24k warranty replacement is supposedly in cue for shipment. Guess SS got or is now expecting soon some stock.

If the array for this unit were to be installed on a house then what would be the best way to install rapid shutdown when there is no inverter? I have a 12k btu unit on the way. I'm debating on having the array ground mounted or on the roof. The roof would be idea, but I'm not entirely sure about the rapid shut down requirements.
I'm curious how the answer to this plays out

So can someone explain to me why a mini split does not require a u trap but a regular split system does.
Traps are required in split systems when the evap coil is in the negative side of the systems airflow, for example an air handler with the evap coil below the fan. If the evap sits on top of the furnace or air handler (in the positive side) it does not require a trap. The reasoning behind it is because if the coil sits in the negative side, air will be pulled in through the drain port of the coils drain pan and prevent water from draining, gurgling action coming into the pan. In the positive side it's forcing air out through the drain port and the water goes with it. Traps on mini split drains are functionally not required but are enforced by some municipal codes.

And the video reveals two things. I noticed, well, either Kelly is hobbit-sized, or the indoor unit looks REALLY big like my 24k.

So I looked it up, the non solar 9 and 12k featured in the video use the 42" inch wide head unit / indoor coil like the solar 24k (the solar 12k uses a 33" inch wide head). I guess that contributes to their higher SEER2.

Second, why there is no non-solar 24k in the line up - the SEER2 would be the same / don't hook up solar to a 24k and boom you have it ?

And the video reveals two things. I noticed, well, either Kelly is hobbit-sized, or the indoor unit looks REALLY big like my 24k.

So I looked it up, the non solar 9 and 12k featured in the video use the 42" inch wide head unit / indoor coil like the solar 24k (the solar 12k uses a 33" inch wide head). I guess that contributes to their higher SEER2.

Second, why there is no non-solar 24k in the line up - the SEER2 would be the same / don't hook up solar to a 24k and boom you have it ?
Never in my life have I seen teflon tape put around the outside of any fitting......pretty good video other than that. You notice they did not show her putting the head unit up while guiding the tubes/wire through the hole....almost impossible by yourself.

Never in my life have I seen teflon tape put around the outside of any fitting......pretty good video other than that. You notice they did not show her putting the head unit up while guiding the tubes/wire through the hole....almost impossible by yourself.
I did it. I first taped the refrigerant lines, com/power wires and drain hose together to make feeding easier. I pre-fed the long drain and com/power cable through the hole, and then lifted the unit up and guided everything through the wall hole, while holding the air handler unit up near the bracket. The weight of the cable and hose helped draw themselves through the hole. Once everything was through the hole, I hung the air handler on the top of the bracket, wiggled it around to get everything seated where it belonged, and it snapped it into the bottom clips.

I was surprised how easy it was for this 70-ish year-old man.

Ok quick FYI after 1 yr app starts a rolling delete of Data - so plan accordingly if you'd like to retain it. I know it was discovered our app is related to the "Tuya" suite of apps. I don't know if there is a way to import/export data from those??

See pic, I installed 1/1/23, now data deleted thru today's date from 1 yr ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_082842_Solar Aircon.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_082842_Solar Aircon.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
Back