diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

Great thread! I read the discussions in earlier posts on the EG4 ISC limit and how it would only cause an issue if theres a short circuit. I’m considering using four 48v 445w bifacial panels with the EG4 12k unit. The panels have a potential to provide ISC of 15A at 30% gain. I’m guessing they’ll probably never reach that due to how low I’m thinking of mounting them to the ground and angle.

But in case they do or even go over 12A. Would using a 12A 300Vdc breaker ie: MidNite Solar MBEPV12-300 help to mitigate this? And if that happens and it trips to just reset the breaker?

Thanks!
Yes, that is the solution.

We already had a nice discussion on this. The OFFICIAL answer is "consult your tax advisor".

Note, Air Source Heat Pumps are under the "Energy Efficient Home Improvement " section. The EG4s were AHRI certified as to SEER2 in mid July this year.

Geothermal Heat Pumps got lumped in with otherwise Solar equipment under "Residential Clean Energy" ?‍♂️

Spoiler alert, as to the units themselves, neither your tax advisor nor the IRS is going to have a clue. So, judgement call :ROFLMAO:

Speaking of pioneers...Member @hwy17 has pointed out our idle draw measurements are "apparent power" not "true power" so much ado about probably NOTHING.

We measured 30/120 VOLT AMPS for 12/24k BTU units respectively. NOT WATTS. Yes, we both have True RMS clamp meters but not the correct equipment.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te...ent/chpt-11/true-reactive-and-apparent-power/

Post in thread 'EG4 minisplit heat pump grounding question' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-minisplit-heat-pump-grounding-question.66112/post-849353

screenshot_20230825_092909_samsung-internet-jpg.164470

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230825_092909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_092909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 87
But what's really odd ... It can be approaching 90°F and 73% humidity outside, and my wife is out in the yard mowing the lawn, and I'm sitting here watching her out the window reaching for a blanket.

IMG_20230825_113351.jpg

Last edited:
Long-overdue update: After running my EG4 24K BTU (6 x 400w panels) and 12K BTU (3 x 400w panels) units all summer in off-grid mode only (i.e. powered only by the panels), and managing through the successive 15 + 30 + 60 minute waiting periods for the attempts to automatically restart the compressor and return the green light on the indoor unit after clouds had passed by and shut things down (and many times having to cycle power using the remote or app to get things back up after it ultimately never restarted automatically), I finally gave in and ran grid power to both units recently.

Observations:

a) As expected, the grid power keeps the MPPT constantly powered up, even when the PvInput goes to zero when clouds pass. It is a pleasure to not have to monitor the units for shutdowns and not have to manually restart them.

b) While running the AC Limiter, even during peak sun hours, the minimum AcInput draw I have seen is 40w on the 24K BTU unit; I sometimes see an AcInput draw of 0w on the 12K BTU unit while running AC Limiter.

c) As reported by MrM1 and others, the maximum inside unit fan speed while on AC Limiter mode is High (i.e. it will not allow Turbo).

d) I greatly prefer to run in Turbo mode, as the indoor air flow is much stronger (particularly on the 24K BTU unit) than the High fan setting. However, since the peak PvInput my 2400w of panels can generate for the 24K BTU unit is typically ~2100w (I have seen 2300w+ on very rare occasions), the unit will draw a minimum of roughly 640w of AcInput on Turbo mode (and much higher during non-peak sun). Interestingly, the 12K BTU unit often draws 0w of AcInput in Turbo mode (with PvInput in the 800-990w range).

e) Both units seem to typically draw considerably less PvInput than the panels / current sun level are capable of producing when running in AC Limiter mode. As soon as I change the Fan Speed from High to Turbo, the PvInput shoots way up (by several hundred watts). It would be great if the MPPT would fully maximize the PvInput draw during non-Turbo modes, but that has not been my experience. It appears that the only way I can consistently maximize the PvInput (while minimizing my AcInput draw) is to turn off my grid power (throw the breaker) and select Turbo mode. The downside to this is that the compressor shuts down when a cloud passes and I am then back to the waiting game for a restart.

As a result, I would love to see the app developers push out an update that allows the AC Limiter to run with the Turbo fan speed. This would seemingly provide the maximum indoor unit fan speed and the maximum available PvInput draw from the panels (and maximum cooling capacity of the unit) while limiting the the AcInput (~600w for the 24K and ~300w for the 12K).

P.S. These units are fantastic. The request above would simply make them even better.

Long-overdue update: After running my EG4 24K BTU (6 x 400w panels) and 12K BTU (3 x 400w panels) units all summer in off-grid mode only (i.e. powered only by the panels), and managing through the successive 15 + 30 + 60 minute waiting periods for the attempts to automatically restart the compressor and return the green light on the indoor unit after clouds had passed by and shut things down (and many times having to cycle power using the remote or app to get things back up after it ultimately never restarted automatically), I finally gave in and ran grid power to both units recently.

Observations:

a) As expected, the grid power keeps the MPPT constantly powered up, even when the PvInput goes to zero when clouds pass. It is a pleasure to not have to monitor the units for shutdowns and not have to manually restart them.

b) While running the AC Limiter, even during peak sun hours, the minimum AcInput draw I have seen is 40w on the 24K BTU unit; I sometimes see an AcInput draw of 0w on the 12K BTU unit while running AC Limiter.

c) As reported by MrM1 and others, the maximum inside unit fan speed while on AC Limiter mode is High (i.e. it will not allow Turbo).

d) I greatly prefer to run in Turbo mode, as the indoor air flow is much stronger (particularly on the 24K BTU unit) than the High fan setting. However, since the peak PvInput my 2400w of panels can generate for the 24K BTU unit is typically ~2100w (I have seen 2300w+ on very rare occasions), the unit will draw a minimum of roughly 640w of AcInput on Turbo mode (and much higher during non-peak sun). Interestingly, the 12K BTU unit often draws 0w of AcInput in Turbo mode (with PvInput in the 800-990w range).

e) Both units seem to typically draw considerably less PvInput than the panels / current sun level are capable of producing when running in AC Limiter mode. As soon as I change the Fan Speed from High to Turbo, the PvInput shoots way up (by several hundred watts). It would be great if the MPPT would fully maximize the PvInput draw during non-Turbo modes, but that has not been my experience. It appears that the only way I can consistently maximize the PvInput (while minimizing my AcInput draw) is to turn off my grid power (throw the breaker) and select Turbo mode. The downside to this is that the compressor shuts down when a cloud passes and I am then back to the waiting game for a restart.

As a result, I would love to see the app developers push out an update that allows the AC Limiter to run with the Turbo fan speed. This would seemingly provide the maximum indoor unit fan speed and the maximum available PvInput draw from the panels (and maximum cooling capacity of the unit) while limiting the the AcInput (~600w for the 24K and ~300w for the 12K).

P.S. These units are fantastic. The request above would simply make them even better.
Thx

I have been running with an AC in as well, but getting it from my inverter. So it's really solar either way for me.

Quick note: SS has told me the timing out of the MPPT on my 1 24k unit is NOT normal, and I am in backorder cue to receive a complete 24k A/C replacement with the new DIY version when they arrive.

Back