diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

DIY Tools you'll Need:

XtremePower 3.5 CFM Pump and Gauge Set
- I used this but sent it back because the Gauges were pretty crappy and the pump did not seem strong enough ... but the A/Cs has worked perfectly for 3 months so I must have done it right.

I Replaced the Gauges with ...
Master Cool 59161 gauges
- Excellent for the DIY'er
- Made in USA
- I have since used these gauges to service 2 other A/C units for friends

And when I need a pump, I will most likely get ...
VIVOHOME 1/2 HP 5 CFM
- Yes the combo is less, but I think you are getting better product with these 2

Pump Oil

I got This Reamer for the Copper Pipe, but I think the "Typical" Style Reamer might be better. But this worked fine for all sizes

Wostore Eccentric Flaring Tool Kit
- This is an excellent tool and worked perfectly EVERY TIME
- Make sure you put a drop of Nylog Blue on the cone of the tool for each flare
- Makes a very clean and perfectly shaped flare

Nylog Blue
- This is a MUST
- Put a drop on the Flare tool Cone before each flare
- and then a drop on the back of the flare between the nut and flare
- and a drop or 2 on the fitting
- Make sure you "smear" it in and around the surfaces
- This is a MUST to prevent leaks

Ridgid Pip Cutter
- You might want the larger one with the spring
- But this is a great Little Cutter

Vacuum Port Adapter
- These are the one's for 410a and the EG4 units
- Your size needed may vary

Extra PVC Wrap
- If you run out, or need more, or what came with the EG4 does not match your house color

Good Tape to Start and End the PVC wrap
- I used this tape to start and then overlapped so you did not see the tape
- Then at the end, I taped it and the taped end is up in the Line Set Covers

Various Size Air Conditioning Copper Pipe Extension
- If you need to run the line set further than what you have
- I used these and worked perfectly
- You can get copper at a home center or AC supply house
- But if you have multiple units, Install the shortest run first, and save all the copper for the longer runs
- This is what I did and worked out so I did not have to buy extra copper

Last edited:
Oh I love a Pirate solar install. Asķ my Electric Co op. ?‍☠️

Linked this thread to Australians. Hope they show. Americans like Australia IMHO. I wonder if they like us??

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ?
Don't make it Political. This board amazing at Californians chat with Texans, no problem :)

Can confirm Kansas unliveable at the moment. Heat Dome.

I'm interested in installing one of the EG4 24K units to use mainly off grid to supplement the current heat pump. I'm still in the shopping around for solar panels phase of the project so i was wondering what numbers besides the Voc I should be looking out for while sizing the array?

Currently I have no solar at all so I'm looking at this as a way to get into it so i can hopefully expand to a larger system some time in the future.

I'm interested in installing one of the EG4 24K units to use mainly off grid to supplement the current heat pump. I'm still in the shopping around for solar panels phase of the project so i was wondering what numbers besides the Voc I should be looking out for while sizing the array?

Currently I have no solar at all so I'm looking at this as a way to get into it so i can hopefully expand to a larger system some time in the future.
You want to look at VOC and for that not to exceed the input voltage, and ISC and that not to exceed the input amps

Also, use a VOC temp calculator to determine the low temp VOC (if I am using the terms correctly)

And Visit Page 1 Post 1 of this thread. I Indexed the entire thread

Thanks! The ISC was what i was overlooking. Sadly it rules out the best local deal i found on panels so I'll go on searching.

A few Santan Deals that might work. Easily could do 7 in string

$134 for 380w

$115 for used 365w

$144 for 400w

Thanks for the links. I'm also looking at some distributors within driving distance to save the shipping.

Thanks for the links. I'm also looking at some distributors within driving distance to save the shipping.
Just FYI ... I am running 7 each 370w REC panels on my 24k units. Here in FL right now on a good day I am seeing those panels produce over 2300 watts at times to the A/Cs

Great thread! I read the discussions in earlier posts on the EG4 ISC limit and how it would only cause an issue if theres a short circuit. I’m considering using four 48v 445w bifacial panels with the EG4 12k unit. The panels have a potential to provide ISC of 15A at 30% gain. I’m guessing they’ll probably never reach that due to how low I’m thinking of mounting them to the ground and angle.

But in case they do or even go over 12A. Would using a 12A 300Vdc breaker ie: MidNite Solar MBEPV12-300 help to mitigate this? And if that happens and it trips to just reset the breaker?

Thanks!

Great thread! I read the discussions in earlier posts on the EG4 ISC limit and how it would only cause an issue if theres a short circuit. I’m considering using four 48v 445w bifacial panels with the EG4 12k unit. The panels have a potential to provide ISC of 15A at 30% gain. I’m guessing they’ll probably never reach that due to how low I’m thinking of mounting them to the ground and angle.

But in case they do or even go over 12A. Would using a 12A 300Vdc breaker ie: MidNite Solar MBEPV12-300 help to mitigate this? And if that happens and it trips to just reset the breaker?

Thanks!
You night be right. @timselectric could tell us more.

But in my testing the past week, I WOULD NOT use any cheap Chinese DC breaker. USE MIDNITE gear.

My Chinese dc C20 20 Amp would not trip at 28 amps, it just got hotter and hotter. Up to 140F. It may have tripped eventually.

But my Midnite 15 amp tripped consistently, 6 tests in a row at 15 amps. Stayed right at ambient and cool to the touch

So, plot thickens. Our two vendors of Deye equipment, SS and AC/DC (giggle..⚡) now have DIRECTLY conflicting info in their manuals for Isc for the same units.
Per Signature: 12A
Screenshot_20230824_070520_Drive.jpg
Per AC/DC: 16-18A
Screenshot_20230824_064914_Drive.jpg

Back