diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

MrM1, I just found this thread and wanted to say what a nice job you did on the install of your mini splits. I have one as well and make youtube videos on it. I am an HVAC professional but only a beginner when it comes to solar so I have joined as a way to gain more info on the solar side, and offer technical assistance on the HVAC side. Here's a link to my channel, anyone with any install related questions feel free to contact me.
https://youtube.com/@SmitHVAC.

MrM1, I just found this thread and wanted to say what a nice job you did on the install of your mini splits. I have one as well and make youtube videos on it. I am an HVAC professional but only a beginner when it comes to solar so I have joined as a way to gain more info on the solar side, and offer technical assistance on the HVAC side. Here's a link to my channel, anyone with any install related questions feel free to contact me.
I have watched your videos......good info there.

Thanks so much ... And great channel . Yeah your videos on the install were some of the ones that help mean along the way.

Subscribed

My channel is here. Have a series on an off grid farm is installed back last yearu. Hope to have a video on the EG4s soon

That's a great setup you have on the pole barn, I subscribed. Hope to see another video soon.

Subscribed to both :)

@SmitHVAC had seen and appreciated your videos, also commented on "Rinnai code 11" as I have a Rinnai RC98 (tankless water heater for others). 12 yrs no problems. Would buy Rinnai again if it died tomorrow...

Subscribed to both :)

@SmitHVAC had seen and appreciated your videos, also commented on "Rinnai code 11" as I have a Rinnai RC98 (tankless water heater for others). 12 yrs no problems. Would buy Rinnai again if it died tomorrow...
Oh that was you! I remember your comment. Rinnai makes great products, especially for the people who work on them. I've worked on many brands and I would never buy anything but a Rinnai.

Oh that was you! I remember your comment. Rinnai makes great products, especially for the people who work on them. I've worked on many brands and I would never buy anything but a Rinnai.
I don’t think I have seen another brand in my 20 years (off and on) in Korea. They power both hydronic heat and instant hot water. Almost every house/apartment has hydronic heat there (with the exception of the few remaining houses that have charcoal “ondol” floor heat).

Well for no reason at all today, my other 24k unit (not the one with the MPPT issue) ... Decide it was going to drop wifi. The indicator light on the front of the unit was off, and the app said the unit was disconnected. I tried turning it off and back on, I tried the connect to network method with the remote and Nothing I did would cause the indicator light to come back on.

Finally went outside to the disconnect and turned off AC and DC power for a minute. Came back in and, after deleting the unit from the app, using the remote network set up procedure got it connect back to the network

But pretty sucky it just dropped for no reason.

Just an FYI, Been working with SS on the MPPT issue of the one 24k unit. They got back with me about 2 weeks ago, and we have been corresponding and I sent some pics. The indication right now is SS does not feel like this is normal behavior and asked for the serial number so they could get me the MPPT.

So the bottom line is this is not an off-grid capable heatpump/airconditioner.
It needs alternating current to do. Which means that you/we/me are only saving the inversion loss by being batteryless.

i.e. buying an a/c only heat pump that is most efficient and running from your main solar array through an inverter and battery is likely a better choice.

Signature solar is maintaining that these will not work with*OUT* (without alternating current) alternating current, which is basically true, but not the premise I bought 3 units under.

Last edited:
Signature solar is maintaining that these will not work with alternating current, which is basically true, but not the premise I bought 3 units under.
I do not understand this statement. Mine work on AC alone.

And as far as off grid DC solar is concerned, I had one unit hooked up DC only and it worked. It just timed out after heavy clouds.

SS said this was not normal and is replacing the MPPT. Well see.

Did anyone else see the Android app, Solar AirCon, got updated earlier this month? I forgot to look at the improvements and now cannot find a list of what has changed. As far as I can tell they made no real improvements, just some cosmetic things and graphics. Anyone else find any real improvements in the new app?

Sorry, I missed a word above, it should have read "will not work without alternating current".

One of the 24kbtu units today would NOT start drawing dc/solar on the airconditioning/cool setting. Despite turning off, disconnecting pv, reconecting and connecting pv again.

However, in frustration cycling through to run the fan only, the dry/raindrop setting did immediately illuminate the solar icon on the head unit, and the compressor started outside. So I have cooling.... but not under the cool setting.

What do you think the dry / raindrop does? Or is supposed to do? I've not messed with the remotes much.

Back