diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Farm ~ Mobile Power Cargo Trailer Build: Growatt 12kw Install

Absolutely love the build and the thread!
Did your SCC issues ever iron out? Curious if the cat5 connection to the AIO remedied the battery programming issue?
When your PV inputs are not generating at peak, is that typically because your batteries are already topped off or is it just seemingly erratic behavior?
Are they still happy with the 50a service or are the previously mentioned desires of larger still in discussion?

Absolutely love the build and the thread!
Did your SCC issues ever iron out? Curious if the cat5 connection to the AIO remedied the battery programming issue?
When your PV inputs are not generating at peak, is that typically because your batteries are already topped off or is it just seemingly erratic behavior?
Are they still happy with the 50a service or are the previously mentioned desires of larger still in discussion?
Mostly worked out and working closer to expected after swapping the Growatt SCC for the

Still not sure if I like the cat5 connection because if the inverter goes into Low Voltage Shut down, it will not allow the external SCC to charge the batteries.

But overall working well?

As to 50 Amp split phase? They've hardly tapped it's potential. They've added a new building at the farm with it's own sub panel, and no problem.

Biggest issue is they are in need of a much larger bank. So we'll probably double it to 280Ah x 4, or 56kWh of storage.

Guess I didn't finish my sentence above

I ended up using a Sigineer SCC (that look like and had the same menu and screen and specs as the Growatt) with communicate to the Growatt AIO and it worked fine

OK

New SCC installed. 1st one kept doing a Runaway Voltage thing. The new one is definitely newer stock. The manual went from version 1.0 to version 1.1

Won't know till I connect the whole array (all 32 panels in a 4s8p configuration, 2 stings on the SCC and 2 stings on the AIO) ... Won't know if it's working correctly until it's all installed. But also plan to connect the SCC to the AIO via cat5 for communication.

In other news, got the 1st of 2 roof boxes done. Just have to crimp on the MC4 connectors. I think these will work out well

View attachment 125907
View attachment 125908
Trying to figure out what cable/cord I need for my Growatt 12kw to communicate with the Growatt 48120...Where did you get yours?

Well the Install at the Off Grid Farm is Finally done, and the Farm is getting finished up in the next few weeks. Still dialing in the Growatt Gear. That is some very different Stuff than say Schneider Conext and Midnite Solar Classics (that I have at home). Very unpredictable in what it does with the sun and resting and charging etc.

t has taken me several months, a lot of trouble shooting, some SCC returns, and hair loss to finally get it kinda dialed in. I tried to get them to go Schneider or Victron ... or now even Midnite with the new Rosie (that I'm told will be stackable in the next month). They wanted to dip their toe first. And we did. But now they want to start over, with probably Victron. Mostly because the Growatt 12k can't be stacked and their needs have changed dramatically since we first sketched this system out on the back of a napkin 18 months ago.

That said we plan to stress test the Growatt Gear here in the next few weeks to its max to see how close it gets to their needs. But here is a few pics of where we are now. (I am working on the Install video now) The trailer as a concept has exceeded expectations and we'll probably keep it and the Growatt as a backup, mobile power situation.

The Farm is really not a Farm. Well it is, but the plan is to turn it into a fully off grid Event Venue. We already have 13 Brides looking to schedule weddings and pushing us for dates. The property is 10 acres with some cows, and pole barn and a tractor.

THE FARM
View attachment 135080

THE INSTALL.
The Trailer gets parked under a lean to and power from the array comes in to AIO PV 1 / PV 2 and SCC PV1 / PV2 via 4 #8/2 SOOW cables connected via 50amp Anderson Connectors. AC power is returned to the building via 50amp 240v split phase RV cable. This goes into a service panel for the building.

View attachment 135081

View attachment 135082

View attachment 135083

COMBINER BOXES 4 IN / 2 OUT X 2 ENDED UP IN THE LOFT
Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done

View attachment 135085
View attachment 135087

WELL IS DRILLED / PUMP INSTALLED / TESTED
Pump runs at just under 1900 watts. Growatt 12k starts it effortlessly.

View attachment 135084

THE FULL PROJECT IS COMING ALONG NICELY AND WE HOPE TO BE DONE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR LESS

View attachment 135088

View attachment 135090
View attachment 135091

I'll Try and post the video Install Tour in about a week. I'll probably do a stress test video and a final video once the Venue is completed.

Thanks for Following along and all the help and suggestions (see my other trouble shooting posts over the past year ?)

Mike
Where is your new venue? Have a daughter looking to get married. I am in Live Oak

Great off-grid project and that you made a business out of it is even more impressive.

I've been toying with the idea of putting all the solar tech into a trailer. Instead of installing it in the house directly.
Panels are so cheap these days. Most of the money is in the Inverters and batteries.

If you ever going to go to new place or need a backup system for the house (Hurricanes) - just hitch the trailer and you are ready.

More things to research now ;)

Great off-grid project and that you made a business out of it is even more impressive.

I've been toying with the idea of putting all the solar tech into a trailer. Instead of installing it in the house directly.
Panels are so cheap these days. Most of the money is in the Inverters and batteries.

If you ever going to go to new place or need a backup system for the house (Hurricanes) - just hitch the trailer and you are ready.

More things to research now ;)
That was / is the plan with the setup we built. Hurricane coming? Just get the batteries charged and pull the trailer to where the power went out.

Installing The Big Growatt SPF 12000T 12kw Inverter into a Cargo Trailer for a 12k watt mobile power generator. All the panels will be installed on a pole/post barn and I will connect the Inverter's Solar Charge Controller MPPT to the panels via 8 awg SOOW cable and Anderson Connectors.

First phase of the 11.8kw array pole barn install. Final setup will be the 11.8kw Array. A Growatt 12000T 250vdc input Inverter / Solar Charge Controller. And 2 DIY EVE 280ah 16 cell batteries with BMS.

There are 32 URECO Glory Bifi 370w panels pictured in 8 strings at a total of 189.4 vdc VOC each string. These will go into two 4 in 2 out combiner boxes (from Watts247)
- The first combiner will feed PV1 and PV2 of the Growatt 12kW SPF 12000T DVM MPV Inverter and MPPT Charge Controller 5920 watts from the array
- The second combiner will feed PV1 and PV2 of a Growatt SC48120 MPV 250V PV 120A Charge Controller 5920 watts from the array

I will be installing the Inverter, Charge Controllers, Batteries, and all connections inside a dual axle trailer (the one in the picture below) probably in a week or so.

This set up is for our off grid farm that has no grid power available. We were quoted $37k+ to run power on to the property. I will build this system out for less that $22k. Liking How it is looking so far. :)

View attachment 110392View attachment 110393

FROM THE MAIN ROAD AND WITH THE TRAILER I WILL BUILD OUT LATER

View attachment 110394View attachment 110395
MY wife and I (located in Reno, Nevada) have purchased a 30'x40' single slope steel building with a High Cube sea container behind the building for electrical equipment and battery banks. We ordered a altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP but will have to upgrade to a XW PRO 6848 because of the (2) Absolyte GX battery banks (48volt/2,000 Amp hour). I am trying to configure the system to charge each battery bank separately with one inverter (if possible). I am completely new to all of the off grid and need help configuring the system - how many kilowatt are you able to place on your roof in your present layout? Not sure how large your roof is - but it looks close to our size roof. Thank you for any reply.

I did just tested the inverter. I do not have an N/G bond in my panel yet (that will happen at the main panel, the one in the trailer is a sub).

But I did test the inverter powered off. There IS a bond between the Case ground and the Busbar Terminal Ground input.

BUT ... There is NO N/G bond between the Ground input and the Neutral output. And There is No N/G bond between the Case ground and the Neutral output.

So unless there is some kind of internal transfer switch that is closed when powered up and in Inverter mode ... there is NO internal N/G bond in the Growatt 12T that I can see.

What has been others experience??
I see that you are running a Conext SW 4024 inverter. We have a altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP. We were able to pick up (2) commercial AGM 2 volt battery banks (48 volt/2,000) for storage but I am being told the 4048 will not push enough power into the battery bank(s) to power our 40' Jayco Jayflight LOFT 50 Amp RV. Is this true or am I just being "up-saled"? We have the opportunity to pick up a Conext XW Pro 6.8kW 120/240 Volt Inverter 48V Charger and I am unsure if it has enough output to charge (2) 48 volt/2,000 Amp hour battery banks. I would like to get this system put together correctly in the first pass - I had a heart attack last year and I'd like to get this system put together for our off grid property in Northern Nevada if something should happen to my heart again. I don't want my wife being left in a lurch and I would like to install a system that will last her years after I am gone.

MY wife and I (located in Reno, Nevada) have purchased a 30'x40' single slope steel building with a High Cube sea container behind the building for electrical equipment and battery banks. We ordered a altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP but will have to upgrade to a XW PRO 6848 because of the (2) Absolyte GX battery banks (48volt/2,000 Amp hour). I am trying to configure the system to charge each battery bank separately with one inverter (if possible). I am completely new to all of the off grid and need help configuring the system - how many kilowatt are you able to place on your roof in your present layout? Not sure how large your roof is - but it looks close to our size roof. Thank you for any reply.
The XW PRO 6848 is not a solar charger. While it (I think) can charge from the use of grid power, it does not have a built in Solar Charge Controller (aka SCC) so I would assume you mean you also have at least 1 Solar Charge Controller?

Why would the SW4048 not work?

We ordered a altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP but will have to upgrade to a XW PRO 6848 because of the (2) Absolyte GX battery banks (48volt/2,000 Amp hour).
This statement is unclear to me what you mean? Batteries are not charged from solar panels by an inverter. So why would the SW4048 and CL150 not work with the batteries? Was it a communication issue? Because I can assure you, if you do not need more than 4000 watts of AC power at any given moment, and the SC150 is configured correctly with the number of solar panels, the CL150 will charge whatever battery you connect to it.

The SW4048 and the XW Pro 6848 are Inverters
- The "convert" DC power to AC Power
- They take 48vdc in and output 120vac on 2 legs ... L1 and L2 ... just like a grid input from the Power Company Transformer on the Pole
- The SW4048 has a max load of about 4000 watts AC output to loads ...
- Where as the XW Pro has a max load of about 6800 watts AC output to loads.
- The only reason you would need to upgrade from the SW4048 to the XW Pro would be if your expected AC electrical Loads are Larger than 4000 watts.
- This would have no effect on the SCC's ability to charge the batteries

And I assume from the Alt-E Store description, that the CL150 is the MidNite Solar Classic 150?
- This is Your Solar Charge Controller
- How Many Classic 150s did you get?
- Or what are you using now?

What you need to configure and determine is
1. What are my expected AC power needs for a given 24 hour period
- This is expressed in Kilowatt hours (kWh)
- This is needed to understand how much power your solar panels need to produce not per hour ... but per day
- to Charge the batteries AND supply the loads
2. What is the Max load I will be needed at any given moment
- This will determine the size inverter you need
3. My battery bank is charged by my Solar panels and controlled by my SCC
4. My loads are supplied either by my battery bank, my solar array or a combo of the 2
- This determines my Solar Array size
- How big of an array do I need to both Charge my batteries AND supply my loads

So this is just the start of my calculations

Last edited:
I see that you are running a Conext SW 4024 inverter. We have a altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP. We were able to pick up (2) commercial AGM 2 volt battery banks (48 volt/2,000) for storage but I am being told the 4048 will not push enough power into the battery bank(s) to power our 40' Jayco Jayflight LOFT 50 Amp RV. Is this true or am I just being "up-saled"? We have the opportunity to pick up a Conext XW Pro 6.8kW 120/240 Volt Inverter 48V Charger and I am unsure if it has enough output to charge (2) 48 volt/2,000 Amp hour battery banks. I would like to get this system put together correctly in the first pass - I had a heart attack last year and I'd like to get this system put together for our off grid property in Northern Nevada if something should happen to my heart again. I don't want my wife being left in a lurch and I would like to install a system that will last her years after I am gone.
Sounds like your are being upsold. But I have no idea of the scale of your project.
- Inverters do Not push power, they Supply Power
- A 50 amp RV only uses 50 amps IF you require 50 amps of power
- If you are running all LED lights You likely never need 50 amps
- 50 amps circuits are needed When ... you start to power things like Microwaves / Air Conditioners / Refrigerators etc.
- And typically these require higher amps to start the motors than to power the motors on going

@NevadAdobe
At it's basic Form ... A Simple Battery based "Solar System" for DC to AC electrical conversion and battery charging consists of:
1. Solar Panels - They convert power from the sun into DC power
2. A Battery Bank - A group of Cells connected in Series and Parallel to Achieve the systems needed DC Voltage (12v / 24v or / 48v) and the desired battery bank storage capacity (expressed Amp Hours)
3. A Solar Charge Controller - This regulates the DC power and is used to charge the battery
4. An Inverter - This converts the DC power to AC power for either 120vac or 240vac loads

You have to do load calculations and determine how much storage you need, BEFORE you start making purchases

@NevadAdobe
I think you might be getting confused because
1. Our Growatt Unit is an All-in-One (AIO) Solar Charge Controller AND Inverter
2. The units you listed (SW4048 and XW Pro) are just Inverter/Chargers.
- The do NOT have Solar Charge Controllers
- You must buy SCCs extra

Today ... as opposed to say 5 years ago ... with all the release of AIOs ... it is MUCH easier to install and connect an AIO than a component Solar System

The key is configuring the AIO to your needs (that is loads, battery bank storage, etc)

Can you tell us where you are at now in the process? Have you purchased gear yet?

The XW PRO 6848 is not a solar charger. While it (I think) can charge from the use of grid power, it does not have a built in Solar Charge Controller (aka SCC) so I would assume you mean you also have at least 1 Solar Charge Controller?

Why would the SW4048 not work?

This statement is unclear to me what you mean? Batteries are not charged from solar panels by an inverter. So why would the SW4048 and CL150 not work with the batteries? Was it a communication issue? Because I can assure you, if you do not need more than 4000 watts of AC power at any given moment, and the SC150 is configured correctly with the number of solar panels, the CL150 will charge whatever battery you connect to it.

The SW4048 and the XW Pro 6848 are Inverters
- The "convert" DC power to AC Power
- They take 48vdc in and output 120vac on 2 legs ... L1 and L2 ... just like a grid input from the Power Company Transformer on the Pole
- The SW4048 has a max load of about 4000 watts AC output to loads ...
- Where as the XW Pro has a max load of about 6800 watts AC output to loads.
- The only reason you would need to upgrade from the SW4048 to the XW Pro would be if your expected AC electrical Loads are Larger than 4000 watts.
- This would have no effect on the SCC's ability to charge the batteries

And I assume from the Alt-E Store description, that the CL150 is the MidNite Solar Classic 150?
- This is Your Solar Charge Controller
- How Many Classic 150s did you get?
- Or what are you using now?

What you need to configure and determine is
1. What are my expected AC power needs for a given 24 hour period
- This is expressed in Kilowatt hours (kWh)
- This is needed to understand how much power your solar panels need to produce not per hour ... but per day
- to Charge the batteries AND supply the loads
2. What is the Max load I will be needed at any given moment
- This will determine the size inverter you need
3. My battery bank is charged by my Solar panels and controlled by my SCC
4. My loads are supplied either by my battery bank, my solar array or a combo of the 2
- This determines my Solar Array size
- How big of an array do I need to both Charge my batteries AND supply my loads

So this is just the start of my calculations
MrM1 - sorry I didn't receive the notification of your responses. I apologize. I think you are correct - we are always seemingly being upsaled. As to the SW4048 - I didn't think that there would be any problem with charging with the Classic 150 but it may be that the Absolyte battery banks are too large? I am still learning about off grid power. Once the house is built we are looking at 20kw of daily usage (maximum) - the 4048 shouldn't have any problem keeping up with demand and we will have a backup generator to keep batteries topped of when solar isn't sufficient. Adding more panels and controllers should solve the problem of power. We have (12) QCell Q.PEAK DUO L-G5.2 390 watt panels (4680 watts total output) and will be adding more as is necessary dependent upon demand.

Back