diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12kw Help ~ JK BMS Throwing "Discharge Short Circuit Protection"

@MrM1 according to @RCinFLA
"Messages seem to indicate the BMS is passing too much load current.
There are ten parallel chip resistors of 1 milliohm each that are for current shunt sensor reading. If one or more of these goes open for any reason the result is higher net shunt resistance with microcontroller ADC reading a higher voltage drop across shunt and calculating a higher current than actual."

Assuming I understand this correctly, my summary of the above is...
The BMS current sensor on one or both BMSs is/are erroneously reading too high.
lets test this hypothesis.
Because we can we are also going to compare the accuracy of both of your clamp meters.

For a test, run a large resistive load off of the inverter.
Measure dc current on the inverter branch circuit using both clamp meters.
To get a good measurement put the clamp meter in dc amps mode and put the clamp on its side so both jaws touch the wire and then zero it.
The put it around the wire to get a measurement.
Do this with both clamp meters and record the measurements.
Hope fully the meters read close to the same.

Now take a measurement on each of the battery feeder circuits.
The sum of the measurements on the feeder circuits should tally with the measurement on the inverter circuit.

Now compare the feeder measurements with the BMS current measurement.
If they hypothesis is correct one or both of the BMS will be reading higher than the clamp meters.

Report back with all measurements.

Last edited:
@MrM1 according to @RCinFLA
"Messages seem to indicate the BMS is passing too much load current.
There are ten parallel chip resistors of 1 milliohm each that are for current shunt sensor reading. If one or more of these goes open for any reason the result is higher net shunt resistance with microcontroller ADC reading a higher voltage drop across shunt and calculating a higher current than actual."

Assuming I understand this correctly, my summary of the above is...
The BMS current sensor on one or both BMSs is/are erroneously reading too high.
lets test this hypothesis.
Because we can we are also going to compare the accuracy of both of your clamp meters.

For a test, run a large resistive load off of the inverter.
Measure dc current on the inverter branch circuit using both clamp meters.
To get a good measurement put the clamp meter in dc amps mode and put the clamp on its side so both jaws touch the wire and then zero it.
The put it around the wire to get a measurement.
Do this with both clamp meters and record the measurements.
Hope fully the meters read close to the same.

Now take a measurement on each of the battery feeder circuits.
The sum of the measurements on the feeder circuits should tally with the measurement on the inverter circuit.

Now compare the feeder measurements with the BMS current measurement.
If they hypothesis is correct one or both of the BMS will be reading higher than the clamp meters.

Report back with all measurements.
Its going to take me a few days. Work the next 3 ... And the batteries are way down right now

As a favour to me could you also check your mastech clamp's dc voltage at cell level and pack level versus your Klein mm400?
If its fairly accurate I think I'll buy a Mastech 2108.

Too bad about the Klein cl-390.
The display is excellent, ac/dc current is great but the dc voltage is in the toilet.

Just FYI, this whole build is a temporary mobile application (might be installed permanently later) for my daughters off grid farm. They have no power there and the PoCo wanted 37k just to think about it. So we built this system up. 12k of Low Frequency inverter should work well for their early needs.

@John Frum
I will get to that test you wanted. 10 days of work this week.

Did get a few hours this morning. 400 Amp class T fuse installed on main 4/0 cable

IMG_20221105_124232.jpg

It is, that is the last run of 4/0 before the inverter busbar.
It's 2 ft from in cable from the inverter input
I guess its also in from of the CC so I see your point

It is, that is the last run of 4/0 before the inverter busbar.
It's 2 ft from in cable from the inverter input
I guess its also in from of the CC so I see your point
The fuse should be between the busbar and inverter as close to the busbar as possible.
I can't tell from your description or the picture if that is the case.
The main circuit typically refers to the wires between the battery and the busbar.

Specificity is a hallmark of effective communication.

The fuse should be between the busbar and inverter as close to the busbar as possible.
I can't tell from your description or the picture if that is the case.
The main circuit typically refers to the wires between the battery and the busbar.

Specificity is a hallmark of effective communication.
Yeah the inverter and CC are after the fuse, the busbar in the pic only adds the extra CC into the mix. But all the CCs (both the internal and external one) will both be fuse AND breaker protected on the solar panel side. Fuses in the combiners outside the trailer, and breakers on each string inside the trailers

Back