diy solar

diy solar

EG4 PowerPro WallMount - in Cargo Trailer. Safe mounting.

eXodus

Solar Addict
Hello,

I have a cargo trailer with many nice solar panels and I bought a EG4 PowerPro WallMount. Which will be connected to a 6000XP

Now need to figure out how to mount this heavy thing safely for one trip. The cargo trailer is used primary to support my move from one state to another and at my new place will be just standing around as off-grid workshop and PowerStation for my RV. Till my new house is built and I move the equipment there.

Options:
1. don't mount it to the wall and just setup when I arrive and the trailer is parked more permanent.

2. Mount it safe now and I can use it on the go :)
The cargo trailers wall are plywood over a steel frame on roughly 18-24 inch center. With the battery only being 20 wide - best case I find a spot where I can screw into two steel framing members. Worst, worst I try to get the bracket centered on a single metal stud and bolt through the outside.

I was thinking about adding D-Rings left and right of the Battery and strapping it additionally to the bracket.

Any other suggestions towards mounting.

Safety:
Definitely I need Cement board, does thickness matter? 1/4 or 1/2? (weight)
I was thinking about covering the whole wall (4x8 sheet) and also putting a small strip right above the battery and inverter on the ceiling. Not sure if it matters since - the uncovered ceiling is metal.
Should I also put a piece of Cement board on the floor where the battery is sitting?

Grounding - just add a ground lug to the trailer frame?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Can you just sit it on the floor and strap it to the wall? And then xp6000 wall mounted above?
sorry, not sure what you mean with sit it on the floor- it designed to be used only upright. Yes the 6000XP should go right above

Extra D rings or some of the plumbers strap would work.
You don't need cement board behind it, it is already double walled all round, hence why it is soooo extra heavy.
But I would add another sheet of thick ply under the general area to spread the load.
No need to bond the battery or inverter to the trailer frame, but it would be good to drive a ground rod and connect that to the inverter ground when in use.

Right, upright but with base on ground, versus actually hung on the wall like the inverter.
absolutely the battery will be sitting on the floor - the wall bracket is only to keep it from toppling over.

A couple strips a E-Track would make this really easy.
Interesting, I have to see E-track fits somewhere with the bracket.

But I would add another sheet of thick ply under the general area to spread the load.
That is a good simple idea, I have some 3/4 ply leftover from a different project which would spread the load over a much larger surface.
The trailer floor is 3/4 - that would add up to a solid 1 1/2 of wood.

No need to bond the battery or inverter to the trailer frame, but it would be good to drive a ground rod and connect that to the inverter ground when in use.
Why not? My RV battery system is grounded to the frame.

Interesting, I have to see E-track fits somewhere with the bracket.
I was suggesting using e track on the wall and wrapping a strap around the battery, I suppose you could use the bracket but think it would be easier to just strap it for transport.

the wall bracket is only to keep it from toppling over.
The wall bracket is actually designed for suspended wall mounting in stationary applications. But sounds like everyone agrees here, including you, that would not be a good idea in mobile.

Get a piece of plywood 3 beams wide and screw it into the metal frame through the existing plywood. Multiple screws all down each stud. Mount the inverter in the middle using the middle beam as additional screw points that go from bracket to new plywood to old plywood to frame. Then other screws to connect the bracket to the plywood.

I've seen people mount winches like this to pull cars and such on ramps.

I do similar with etrack on the wall and use a hook connected to my SxS winch and just winch it up into the trailer. Also done the same with thousands of pounds of server racks on wheels just strapping to etrack.

The wall bracket is actually designed for suspended wall mounting in stationary applications. But sounds like everyone agrees here, including you, that would not be a good idea in mobile.
yeah I don't want to suspend it. Just securing from tipping over in a bouncy trailer.

I can see - since it is only hanging on the wall bracket - in case it gets airborne - it would clip out.

Have to take the covers of and see if there are any screw holes at the back where I can prevent it from moving up.

Otherwise I might have to put some sort of bracket over it which prevents vertical movement.

Attachments

• 1711652918169.png
    1711652918169.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 4
yeah I don't want to suspend it. Just securing from tipping over in a bouncy trailer.

I can see - since it is only hanging on the wall bracket - in case it gets airborne - it would clip out.

Have to take the covers of and see if there are any screw holes at the back where I can prevent it from moving up.

Otherwise I might have to put some sort of bracket over it which prevents vertical movement.

It's not going to lift up off that bracket. My Victron Quattro inverters are on the brackets just hanging and there's no issues. You'd have to go airborne over and over to get it to move and even if somehow it get up it's almost impossible for it not to go right back.

Imagine a cup in your cars cup holder. An empty one might bounce around a bit but a full one isn't going anywhere.

Got the battery mounted.

After wrestling it upright I saw that bracket and was confident that it will not jump off as soon those 4 screws on the side are installed.

I've put it on top of a 3/4 plywood to spread the load on the trailer floor. And added 1/4 thick cement board. It's not tall enough for the inverter.. future project.

Further I got lucky: in exactly the spot where I wanted to mount the battery the steel wall frame was 16 inch on center and so fit perfect the bracket.

PXL_20240407_122859463.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_122954978.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240407_122954978.MP.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 1
Got the battery mounted.

After wrestling it upright I saw that bracket and was confident that it will not jump off as soon those 4 screws on the side are installed.

I've put it on top of a 3/4 plywood to spread the load on the trailer floor. And added 1/4 thick cement board. It's not tall enough for the inverter.. future project.

Further I got lucky: in exactly the spot where I wanted to mount the battery the steel wall frame was 16 inch on center and so fit perfect the bracket.

View attachment 208063
Why cement board over plywood?

I think it's cement board over drywall, and plywood on the floor underneath the battery.
It's cement board over plywood.
Why cement board over plywood?
yes just 1/4 thick. Not heavym I needed a spacer, there is a molding piece at the trailer floor sticking out 1/4 thick. Which did prevent me from getting battery all the way against the wall.

So I had two options. Adding another 1/4 plywood, or following the manual of the battery which asks for a non-combustible surface.

Back