diy solar

diy solar

Cargo trailer solar build

justinm001

Solar Addict
Finally getting around to installing solar on the cargo trailer (7x16) we tow behind the RV. The goal is to install some POE cameras and a NVR inside the trailer then use it as backup cameras over wifi when driving or as a security system when parked. On top of this I want the solar to keep the batteries topped off incase I leave the lights inside on (have multiple strips of LED lights). I plan on having a 1000w MSW cheap inverter or so with some power strips and connected to things like drill battery chargers so it can keep those charged. Currently there's 100ah 12v Renogy SLA battery although might upgrade this to 4x6v GC2's from my old rv in series parallel giving 460ah or so.

When driving or connected to the RV I want the panels to charge my 48V bank and then the RV provides 30a power from the 12V pin on the 7pin adapter.

Currently I installed 10x100w renogy panels on 1/2 height channel struts. I need to get more struts and hoping to get 2000w total solar.

I bought these brackets https://a.co/d/jaOxqfk but seems like there's just too much wasted space between the panels. looks like there's 28mm gap. I saw these https://a.co/d/5EpDfJY but looks like its a few mm smaller but still not happy with the gap. Any better options? I like the struts as they can easily be secured to the interior frame and holds the roof together better.

Haven't figured the best option to switch the solar from trailer mode to RV mode I'm thinking on putting 150v mppts on both the RV and trailer then using anderson plugs to just unplug from trailer mode and plug into rv mode. The problem is if the RV is off the 12V pin would be off and trailer batteries aren't charging. To combat this I have a Blue Sea M-LVD which will disconnect a device when the voltage gets low https://a.co/d/bQWI7pS This means I can shut it off at 30% or so and still use it for trailer breakaway brakes.

Another option is to just dedicate 1 or more panels to the trailer and the rest to the RV. The lights alone are like 90 watts and if the camera system is 60w thats 150w total or 3.6kw per day. guessing on these numbers.

I still need to add more struts and determine how many panels will fit and how to wire them up.

Ideally I'd be able to easily switch 5 panels from series to parallel then use a cheap 12V PWM controller for the trailer which I already have and then I could switch from using 1500w to the RV and 500w to the trailer or all 2000w to the RV. Even better if it was a digital relay then I could have something digitally send a signal so when the trailer battery is under 80% it'll take the solar but when its above it'll send to the RV. Any thoughts?

BTW we use the trailer only sometimes so most of the time its sitting in our heavily shaded woods at home. When we use it we're typically on a day/weekend trip at auctions where we'll be loading stuff up and boondocking all day. Also we have airbnbs and remodel them so use it to transport equipment and tools to work out of when we're remodeling for the weekend. Ideally we wouldn't need to plug in the RV and rely for the weekend on solar but its a powerhog and we have 15 amp socket and long extension cords to at least help keep the batteries charged.

And yes the trailers a bit banged up especially for a 21, driving a 40ft RV with a 20ft trailer through back country roads and old small towns is nearly impossible.

Attachments

• 20231206_105614.jpg
    20231206_105614.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231206_105604.jpg
    20231206_105604.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 34
plan on having a 1000w MSW cheap inverter or so with some power strips and connected to things like drill battery chargers so it can keep those charged
Your other stuff seems reasonable and has costs - don’t cheap out on the inverter which could kill more $$ in equipment you want to use it for when pure sine isn’t very expensive from Giandel, QZRELB, MPPSolar, Ampinvt, Epever… makes no sense imho. Mod sine cost me a refrigerator, computer monitor, other little stuff I forget now. Way more money than what I “saved” on a modsine inverter.
Look at the 1200W Giandel…
Even better if it was a digital relay then I could have something digitally send a signal so when the trailer battery is under 80% it'll take the solar but when its above it'll send to the RV. Any thoughts?
Don’t over complicate this. If you want separate systems do it. Use a DC2DC charger if you want to bleed from the trailer to the RV imho, or just separate them and use a Epever in the trailer. I wouldn’t bother with the pwm for that many watts required
Ideally we wouldn't need to plug in the RV and rely for the weekend on solar but it’s a powerhog and we have 15 amp socket and long extension cords to at least help keep the batteries charged.
what makes it a power hog?
Typically the onboard ‘converter’ and the fridge are the silent watthogs that thieve your charged battery; air conditioners can be managed while the prior two just sit there quietly sucking the life out of your boondock day 24/7

Your other stuff seems reasonable and has costs - don’t cheap out on the inverter which could kill more $$ in equipment you want to use it for when pure sine isn’t very expensive from Giandel, QZRELB, MPPSolar, Ampinvt, Epever… makes no sense imho. Mod sine cost me a refrigerator, computer monitor, other little stuff I forget now. Way more money than what I “saved” on a modsine inverter.
Look at the 1200W Giandel…

Don’t over complicate this. If you want separate systems do it. Use a DC2DC charger if you want to bleed from the trailer to the RV imho, or just separate them and use a Epever in the trailer. I wouldn’t bother with the pwm for that many watts required

what makes it a power hog?
Typically the onboard ‘converter’ and the fridge are the silent watthogs that thieve your charged battery; air conditioners can be managed while the prior two just sit there quietly sucking the life out of your boondock day 24/7

The trailer inverter is just for things like drill battery chargers or maybe jump packs or something that doesn't really matter. I have a few laying around so figured since they're free it'll be nice to always have batteries fully charged.

Trailer battery can only handle 30a/12v charge so I don't want to pump 2000w of solar through the system. using a small mppt/pwm for the trailer would let me overpanel and it'll limit the input power. A 12v-48v Victron DC-DC converter is $200 for 360w so I'd need 5 or $1000 to pull the 2000w into my RV. Even more so I'll lose 10% in conversion plus the heat and space.

I pull over 500w just at idle. My inverters pull 35w each just at idle and I have 3 of them. Fridge is only like 70w for a huge residential. The rest is communication gear (Starlink, T-mobile 5g, peplink router with ATT&Verizon, cell booster, 5 wifi APs, POE switch, and a laptop used for automation). The rest is little things like TVs on idle, IR extenders, HDMI matrix switches, smart outlets, firefly, dashcam. Also the coach was setup to run a 20kw genny the entire time and built as a commercial training bus so they didn't care about power conservation. Below is the sales link when I bought it.

Its not a big deal as I have 1800w on the RV roof and get 3kw from the alternator thru DC-DC converters and don't plan on boondocking over a weekend so with 20kwh of batteries it works pretty well. If any issues I just run that 20kw genny for 15minutes and get like 25% charge.

I have a TON of solar panels in 290w and 340w laying around and plan on adding to the RV roof and getting about 5kw solar there, plus 2k on the trailer should give me at least 20kw per day in charge.

Luckily with my coach basically every outlet is homerun to its own 20a breaker so if I need to conserve power I can just start flipping breakers. Also turn off the pair of split phase inverters and my 12V inverter runs all the important loads so I should be able to last a while.

The trailer inverter is just for things like drill battery chargers or maybe jump packs or something that doesn't really matter. I have a few laying around so figured since they're free it'll be nice to always have batteries fully charged.
It won’t be free if you fry one of your devices. I know from experience
12V inverter runs all the important loads so I should be able to last a while.
ok. I guess I don’t know what the question was after all.

One way to move power from the trailer to the RV is to use 120 vac.

It is actually the safest way as well since it can be connected or disconnected with the least flash risk and the connections are flexible and easily available.

The trailer pin connector is not capable of passing more than 5 - 10 amps of DC continuously at 12 volts.

You can put a low voltage disconnect in to cut off the inverter in the trailer as needed.

You could easily purchase a dedicated 120 vac to DC charger for the RV side so that the low power quality from the trailer inverter is not a factor. It most likely will not work to feed this into the quattro.

Last edited:
One way to move power from the trailer to the RV is to use 120 vac.

It is actually the safest way as well since it can be connected or disconnected with the least flash risk and the connections are flexible and easily available.

The trailer pin connector is not capable of passing more than 5 - 10 amps of DC continuously at 12 volts.

You can put a low voltage disconnect in to cut off the inverter in the trailer as needed.

You could easily purchase a dedicated 120 vac to DC charger for the RV side so that the low power quality from the trailer inverter is not a factor. It most likely will not work to feed this into the quattro.
That is a good idea to put a 2 or 3kw inverter then run 120v into the rv, although I'm concerned with efficiency of running from solar to 12v to ac then through the other inverter to 48v. I do this from my 48v inverter to my 12v inverter.

Trailer pin is capable of passing 30amps and even 24v per the specs I believe. Although I never understand specs when they say 24v as idk if that means 28v to charge the battery or if it's just so that you can pass 14v.

I know i have a 30a fuse on my pin but it looks like the converter put it in and not Prevost as it's a bit different. There's also some switch that changes the wiring. I believe there's a difference between truck and RV trailer pinouts. On a 7 flat.

I assumed it was nominal just wasn't 100%.
Apparently it's 7 round vs blade switch. Not sure why I have this and why they put it on a huge rocker switch without labels but first trip with the trailer it locked the brakes up when turning or something and didn't notice for a while.

Attachments

• Trailer-Wiring-Diagrams.jpg
    Trailer-Wiring-Diagrams.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 6
You are right - that is a nice heavy duty trailer connector.

There are multiple ways to pull it off, I am not sure that one method vs the other is going to be dramatically better in efficiency.

With the 120 vac method, the losses from power conversion will be somewhat higher, with the DC method, the losses in the wiring and connectors will be higher.

Disconnecting that trailer connector with 24 volts live will definitely spark so just have a handy method to cut it off. Personally I would use the AC method if it were me because if my wife unplugged that live it would cost me brownie points big time.

In this area, 1000 watts on a trailer roof can be counted on to produce perhaps 500 - 700 watts for ~ 6 hrs / day.

So the setup that I would put in the trailer would be 2 each, 100 amp-hr batteries coupled with a 1 kW inverter, unless you want to increase it to 4 batteries. That way you won't go over the battery charge / discharge ratings (for example with Lifeline GPLs or Battle born LiFe ) and it will operate with decent voltage stability. Perhaps a 500 - 600 watt charger in the RV.

One of my customers wanted to run 400 watts of solar from his trailer to the van (also had 400 watts ) and feed it into the charge controller in the van and make a switching setup. I talked him out of it and we put the same setup that I described (24 volt system ) in this trailer for his misc shop stuff. It works great.

You are right - that is a nice heavy duty trailer connector.

There are multiple ways to pull it off, I am not sure that one method vs the other is going to be dramatically better in efficiency.

With the 120 vac method, the losses from power conversion will be somewhat higher, with the DC method, the losses in the wiring and connectors will be higher.

Disconnecting that trailer connector with 24 volts live will definitely spark so just have a handy method to cut it off. Personally I would use the AC method if it were me because if my wife unplugged that live it would cost me brownie points big time.

In this area, 1000 watts on a trailer roof can be counted on to produce perhaps 500 - 700 watts for ~ 6 hrs / day.

So the setup that I would put in the trailer would be 2 each, 100 amp-hr batteries coupled with a 1 kW inverter, unless you want to increase it to 4 batteries. That way you won't go over the battery charge / discharge ratings (for example with Lifeline GPLs or Battle born LiFe ) and it will operate with decent voltage stability. Perhaps a 500 - 600 watt charger in the RV.

One of my customers wanted to run 400 watts of solar from his trailer to the van (also had 400 watts ) and feed it into the charge controller in the van and make a switching setup. I talked him out of it and we put the same setup that I described (24 volt system ) in this trailer for his misc shop stuff. It works great.

The plan was to run the solar wiring 150/250v in Anderson connectors that'll connect the trailer to the rv then have a mppt in the rv for the 48v bank. When not connected I'd have another mppt in the trailer for 12v

The plan was to run the solar wiring 150/250v in Anderson connectors that'll connect the trailer to the rv then have a mppt in the rv for the 48v bank. When not connected I'd have another mppt in the trailer for 12v

In that case, then you will probably want the SB 50 chemical resistant housing version. It is the only one rated for use in cold weather and the voltage that you are planning.

That anderson connector I pointed to is still not officially considered a "solar rated connector" because officially you are supposed to use a "tool" to disconnect them since there will be an arc unless it has been shut off.

The MC-4s meet this but they are not intended for regular plugging in / unplugging duty cycle wise.

I am honestly not comfortable with putting over 100 VDC on a mobile system. Might just be me but I have seen DC arc flashes at too close of distance to not respect it.

Maybe I am wrong but I would not do it this way.

That anderson connector I pointed to is still not officially considered a "solar rated connector" because officially you are supposed to use a "tool" to disconnect them since there will be an arc unless it has been shut off.

The MC-4s meet this but they are not intended for regular plugging in / unplugging duty cycle wise.

I am honestly not comfortable with putting over 100 VDC on a mobile system. Might just be me but I have seen DC arc flashes at too close of distance to not respect it.

Maybe I am wrong but I would not do it this way.
A lot of people have over 100 VDC solar strings

A lot of people have over 100 VDC solar strings

Yes they do, but most are not mobile or setting it up to be unplugged routinely like a trailer connection.

I saw someone on the forum post that they had a 500 VDC solar system on their RV and really wondered in my mind if they were brilliant or crazy. I am not sure. Hope that they don't need a normal RV or marine electrician to work on it.

Your system is only 1 kW on the RV and another 1 kW on the trailer. You are far from the 20 amp MC 4 limits. (now jacked up to 30 amps with no really useful improvements )

I am just giving you my own opinion - your approach is up to you.

Last edited:
Yes they do, but most are not mobile or setting it up to be unplugged routinely like a trailer connection.

I saw someone on the forum post that they had a 500 VDC solar system on their RV and really wondered in my mind if they were brilliant or crazy. I am not sure. Hope that they don't need a normal RV or marine electrician to work on it.

Your system is only 1 kW on the RV and another 1 kW on the trailer. You are far from the 20 amp MC 4 limits. (now jacked up to 30 amps with no really useful improvements )

I am just giving you my own opinion - your approach is up to you.
I have 1800w on the roof now and should have more like 5000w soon. The trailer should have close to 2000w.

1000w at 25v volts is 40a. In summer I get over 1800w and sometimes over 2000w as my panels are angled. Actually had to switch from 6s3p to 5s3p because when temps dropped I was getting close to the 150v. The other 3 panels are in series into my 12v system

Currently I installed 10x100w renogy panels on 1/2 height channel struts. I need to get more struts and hoping to get 2000w total solar.
did you space the strut channels of the roof or did you seal them?

I'm planning something similar and wonder if I should leave a gap underneath for water to drain - or just seal it up and let the water run to the front or back.

did you space the strut channels of the roof or did you seal them?

I'm planning something similar and wonder if I should leave a gap underneath for water to drain - or just seal it up and let the water run to the front or back.
I'm still looking for some way to use these struts and have panels touching so I can seal the top of them all together. Figured this is ideal so water can't get under the panels. I have like a 2" gap between each 100w panel so I could have like 9 panels instead of 8 on each side of the 16ft roof.

I haven't sealed anything yet but I'd put dicor lap sealant on all the holes under the strut, a strip all along the strut then a small bead on either side of the strut. This should help with vibrations and let the water run front to back

Thanks!
I'm still looking for some way to use these struts and have panels touching so I can seal the top of them all together

they make gaskets for between the panels. But those gasket would required rear mounted panels as I understand.
Which is an option when you can get in from underneath. But when mounting on top of trailer with little gap - the clamps would be problematic for water sealing.

I'd put dicor lap sealant on all the holes under the strut, a strip all along the strut then a small bead on either side of the strut. This should help with vibrations and let the water run front to back
that is what I am thinking about, just seal it all up and then make sure the trailer is either tilted forward or backward a degree or so that the water can drain.

Thanks!

they make gaskets for between the panels. But those gasket would required rear mounted panels as I understand.
Which is an option when you can get in from underneath. But when mounting on top of trailer with little gap - the clamps would be problematic for water sealing.

that is what I am thinking about, just seal it all up and then make sure the trailer is either tilted forward or backward a degree or so that the water can drain.
They also make solar panel sealant but I think it's just silicone caulk which should work fine if panels are basically touching.

I'm not too worried about water just sitting. The top is metal and water will evaporate as there's air plus the heat and such from the panels

That is a good idea to put a 2 or 3kw inverter then run 120v into the rv, although I'm concerned with efficiency of running from solar to 12v to ac then through the other inverter to 48v. I do this from my 48v inverter to my 12v inverter.

Trailer pin is capable of passing 30amps and even 24v per the specs I believe. Although I never understand specs when they say 24v as idk if that means 28v to charge the battery or if it's just so that you can pass 14v.

I know i have a 30a fuse on my pin but it looks like the converter put it in and not Prevost as it's a bit different. There's also some switch that changes the wiring. I believe there's a difference between truck and RV trailer pinouts. On a 7 flat.

I love this video ,,, Demonstrates what @HarryN is saying about 120vac trailer to RV ,,, along with the efficiency factors considered with both setups;

The difference between “Alternating & Direct”

It is eye opening, & I have not seen a better video “visual” which demonstrates the VDC hazard.

I realize you are thinking about lower voltage, but this gives you some idea on your connect / disconnect. Best done without load.

Back