diy solar

diy solar

Cargo Trailer Conversion

06RKguy

Greetings to everyone! I'm new to solar, but I am a retired electrician with some solar training. I have never had any hands on experience. I plan on installing a modest solar setup on my cargo trailer camper. It has a 30 amp RV input that I use with shore power, and a generator, but I want to power all the 12v stuff with solar when dispersed camping, and not using my generator. I have a "Battery Tender" LiFePO4 lithium charger that I plan to use to keep the battery charged and maintained when not in use, but it is a trickle charger so I will be upgrading it to something that charges a little faster. I use the Battery Tender when either plugged into shore power, or when on my generator. I do not plan on using the charger when on solar. I have a LiFePO4 100 ah battery and want to provide 12 volts for a 12 volt refrigerator, lights, a 12 volt tv, Maxx vent fan and for charging my cell phone. I also have a laptop and tv antenna signal booster that will be plugged into the inverter. Not all of these things will be running at the same time. I am planning on starting out with a couple of 100 watt solar panels for 200 watts total, and a 1000 watt pure sine inverter for the minimal 120 volt loads. Does this sound like a reasonable setup? Thank you for any input and suggestions...

Sounds good! I have a similar recharging station set up using 200 watts solar and a 200Ah LFP battery.

That runs one of my 12 volt fridges, laptop, 45 watt evap cooler, small microwave and cooking appliances and recharges my ebike and gadgets.

Like you said, you don't run all those things at once and some are used for just short period and have their own batteries.

You might want to add 200 watts more solar and another 100Ah battery for more night time capacity but see how the system works for you first and you can always add on later.

Better to start small and figure out what appliances work best and adjust your use than go overboard with a big expensive system IMO.

Post some pics of your build when you get a chance and I have designed cargo stealth trailers for other people and always wanted to build one of my own.

Sounds good! I have a similar recharging station set up using 200 watts solar and a 200Ah LFP battery.

That runs one of my 12 volt fridges, laptop, 45 watt evap cooler, small microwave and cooking appliances and recharges my ebike and gadgets.

Like you said, you don't run all those things at once and some are used for just short period and have their own batteries.

You might want to add 200 watts more solar and another 100Ah battery for more night time capacity but see how the system works for you first and you can always add on later.

Better to start small and figure out what appliances work best and adjust your use than go overboard with a big expensive system IMO.

Post some pics of your build when you get a chance and I have designed cargo stealth trailers for other people and always wanted to build one of my own.
Thank you! It is a 2010 Haulmark 7x14 toy hauler. I bought it from the original owner back in 2019 when I went to the Sturgis MC rally, and then went out west from there for a couple of months. It was already set up as a camper, and was never used for work. It has dual torsion axles with brakes on all 4 hubs. It is insulated with a RV rooftop ac, an 8x12 rv awning, and wired for 120 volts. I did extensive upgrades to it which are still going on. I do not want to mount the solar panels on the roof as I like to park in the shade when i can, and sometimes it is not an option.

Attachments

• 20190807_161048.jpg
    20190807_161048.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200725_135428.jpg
    20200725_135428.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200725_135504.jpg
    20200725_135504.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200725_135513.jpg
    20200725_135513.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200725_135553.jpg
    20200725_135553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200725_135444.jpg
    20200725_135444.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 15
Thank you! It is a 2010 Haulmark 7x14 toy hauler. I bought it from the original owner back in 2019 when I went to the Sturgis MC rally, and then went out west from there for a couple of months. It was already set up as a camper, and was never used for work. It has dual torsion axles with brakes on all 4 hubs. It is insulated with a RV rooftop ac, an 8x12 rv awning, and wired for 120 volts. I did extensive upgrades to it which are still going on. I do not want to mount the solar panels on the roof as I like to park in the shade when i can, and sometimes it is not an option.
Very nice! I designed one for the trailers with the drop down ramp. I made a 2x4 wall with sliding glass door on the back end that would be protected by the ramp when driving and then use that ramp as a deck when you park.

Enough room to throw in my ebikes and park it anywhere without drawing attention that I was camping.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Welcome.

I was a dedicated 12 volt guy for my cargo trailer conversion. When the 12 tv went tango uniform, I decided to get a little Victron inverter and a 120v TV. Reason was the 32” flatscreen was about $120 from Costco and it sipped watts.

The 12 volt tv’s (and other RV stuff) were pretty specialized and as I recall not cheap. And not that reliable. Now I have the Costco warranty.

Now I run my tv, lights, and fan on 120. Easy, cheap to replace when needed, and better selection.

Welcome.

I was a dedicated 12 volt guy for my cargo trailer conversion. When the 12 tv went tango uniform, I decided to get a little Victron inverter and a 120v TV. Reason was the 32” flatscreen was about $120 from Costco and it sipped watts.

The 12 volt tv’s (and other RV stuff) were pretty specialized and as I recall not cheap. And not that reliable. Now I have the Costco warranty.

Now I run my tv, lights, and fan on 120. Easy, cheap to replace when needed, and better selection.
Yea, I can do all the 120v stuff if on shore power or my generator. I want to start doing some camping/kayak fishing in the Ocala National Forest at some Forestry campgrounds that do not have electrical hookups, and I don't want to run the generator all the time. My 12 volt needs are very minimal.

Unless I don't get something, laptop only needs 50-70 watts and a 13 watt fan... Both pulling from the same inverter... That makes it let's say 83 watts, and IF the solar panel is functioning at full capacity more power should be going INTO the battery than going into the inverter

I would recommend getting a ~400w panel. They're typically about 40"x 80". If you can get one locally it's very cost effective, if not shipping a single panel of that size is probably not worth it.

have a "Battery Tender" LiFePO4 lithium charger that I plan to use to keep the battery charged and maintained when not in use, but it is a trickle charger so I will be upgrading it to something that charges a little faster.
LiFePo in storage doesn’t need tickling or maintaining. Best stored ~80% SOC
Yea, I can do all the 120v stuff if on shore power or my generator. I want to start doing some camping/kayak fishing in the Ocala National Forest at some Forestry campgrounds that do not have electrical hookups, and I don't want to run the generator all the time. My 12 volt needs are very minimal.
So vertically mounted panels may be one option. You won’t get the full potential out of them but you could get enough to extend days (other than the A/C) while still having them less inclined to become bored and walk away.
don't want to run the generator all the time
If you can pull off ~3-400Ah of LiFePo4 and somehow do 800W or 1200W of panels between side and top you will have A LOT of power and maybe just enough solar to eek by without needing the gen for anything but the a/c. Three of a 300- or 400W panel will still make ‘some’ charge even if not ideally configured or exposed.

That’s what I’d do

Ymmv

Back