diy solar

diy solar

To buy or to build

crowTrobot

Building is much more fun...... but.

I want to power a cargo trailer (6x12) so the demands won't be great. Cpap, propane furnace, water pump.

OUPES 1200W Portable Power Station with 100W Solar Panel, Solar Generator 992Wh LiFePO4 Backup with 10 Output Ports(3600W Peak), Outdoor Power Generator for Camping Travel Emergency​

for $698 seams like a good buy (with solar panels)

Does this give me adequate power do you think?

Then theres this route: Which I assume has more capacity

12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery, 8000+ Deep Cycles Lithium Batteries, Smaller & Lighter 12 Volt Rechargeable Battery for Solar Energy Storage, Boat, Backup Power, RV, Camping, Off-Grid (Smart BMS)​

for $179
and battery box for $52.79
has on off switch
duel usb
switch control volt meter, with color voltmeter
power socket 12/24 volt
solar charge large anderson sockets

and then maybe add this: with Bougerv controller
I do have a charger I can use as well as an 800 amp inverter

I guess my question is, which is a better route
and any suggestion would be appreciated

Both options have their pro's and con's.

Pre-built:
Pro's - Smallest form factor per watt, warranty
Con's - Limited or no expandability, limited to what's in the unit, expensive per watt hour of capacity

DIY Build:
Pro's - Customizable to what you want, cheaper per watt-hour of capacity, expandable, more effective charging capabilities, more fun, get clout on the forum, can build a static system to have what ports you want physically where you want them
Con's - Larger footprint reducing mobility, everything outside the battery can start adding up the cost,

Because you've got such limited space to work with that really leans towards the pre-build option. If you already have an 800w inverter that's credit towards a DIY build, and if you're making a trailer into a camper, being able to have the USB and Cpap ports right next to the bed, outlets by the TV and over by the kitchen, USB by the other side of the bed really makes doing a DIY setup much more useful. Giving up on the idea that it needs to be "portable" and just building a system into the trailer's remodel makes the DIY a MUCH better option.

you already know the answer to this or forever complain about the limitations of what you bought off the shelf :)

DIY IS ALWAYS BETTER!!! - :love: :love: :love:
{ok, just had to say it.}
A big benefit to DIY - you will understand every component, how it works, how it is connected. You will be in control. You will learn a lot more, and will become confident in your work. You will be able to confidently trouble-shoot any issues that may arise in the future.
- And we will get to see the build as you post about it!

The DIY numbers don't add up anymore, at least for a smaller, generic installation. I'll give an example.

Bluetti AC200L - $1300 (I purchased one recently at that price)
2048 watt hour battery.
2400 watts continuous inverter
1200 watts max mppt controller PV input @ 145 volts max
bluetooth + wifi app control.
5 year warranty

DIY equivalent build - approximate ballpark.

2500 watt inverter: $500
200 ah lifepo4 battery $649
150v mppt charge controler $200
victron smart shunt $120
12V connections box $50
mounting box + hardware $100
Cables $50
lifepo4 battery charger $100

~$469 more for DIY, and you don't have complete control over the system from one app, i.e, you can't turn the inverter on/off, DC power, etc.
The prices I used were for generic, but reasonable quality components. If you went for an all Victron system, the gap gets even wider.

These are all one thing, and for a 2500W output isn't $800
example:
MPP 2724 is $285 plus shipping.
It has everything but the battery built in or supplied including the cables, and four 20A standard outlets, and three USB, all built right into the case.
Add a low cost 24v LFP battery (we see some listed on the forum in the $300 -400 range),
and you have a complete system for half the cost of the AC200 - but not the nice case.

The DIY numbers don't add up anymore, at least for a smaller, generic installation. I'll give an example.

Bluetti AC200L - $1300 (I purchased one recently at that price)
2048 watt hour battery.
2400 watts continuous inverter
1200 watts max mppt controller PV input @ 145 volts max
bluetooth + wifi app control.
5 year warranty

DIY equivalent build - approximate ballpark.

200 ah lifepo4 battery $649
victron smart shunt $120
12V connections box $50
mounting box + hardware $100
Cables $50

~$469 more for DIY, and you don't have complete control over the system from one app, i.e, you can't turn the inverter on/off, DC power, etc.
The prices I used were for generic, but reasonable quality components. If you went for an all Victron system, the gap gets even wider.
What if your systemm is 24v. You want a 3kw 24v inverter and way more battery capacity, say 400Ah at 24v. I can't see anything that compares to DIY

What if your systemm is 24v. You want a 3kw 24v inverter and way more battery capacity, say 400Ah at 24v. I can't see anything that compares to DIY
a 3000 W inverter running on a 24 battery = 125A
You can DIY a battery pack with 150A BMS and your good to go. Or use a 200A if you are worried about some start up surge loads like motors or chop saws etc.
My own 2724 is running on a 315Ah pack, with 150A BMS all good, I ran the MIG from it today working on the next PV array racking.

These are all one thing, and for a 2500W output isn't $800
example:
MPP 2724 is $285 plus shipping.
It has everything but the battery built in or supplied including the cables, and four 20A standard outlets, and three USB, all built right into the case.
Add a low cost 24v LFP battery (we see some listed on the forum in the $300 -400 range),
and you have a complete system for half the cost of the AC200 - but not the nice case.
I don't see anything on my list that is $800???? Look, I tried to be as conservative as possible with the estimated prices, just to avoid the niggling that you are doing right now. When the OP wrote about diy, he used an example of a 12v battery. A diy system is in any event, not even slightly portable. For smaller systems, the pre-made power station is hands down the practical, logical, and less expensive option. I am sorry to offend your DIY sensibilities, but I am making a valid point.

Also, the MPP 2724 is limited to 750 watts pv, and it's doesn't appear to have 12v outputs. And it appears to sell for $642, not $285.

Last edited:
The AC200L is already 48 volts internally. You can add additional batteries at will. The OP was looking for a small system. A quality power station is a simple and easy solution to the smaller needs the OP spoke of.

OP: "I want to power a cargo trailer (6x12) so the demands won't be great. Cpap, propane furnace, water pump."

Last edited:
1709556624152.pngI don't see anything on my list that is $800???? Look, I tried to be as conservative as possible with the estimated prices, just to avoid the niggling that you are doing right now. When the OP wrote about diy, he used an example of a 12v battery. A diy system is in any event, not even slightly portable. For smaller systems, the pre-made power station is hands down the practical, logical, and less expensive option. I am sorry to offend your DIY sensibilities, but I am making a valid point.

Also, the MPP 2724 is limited to 750 watts pv, and it's doesn't appear to have 12v outputs.
i disagree with astrobob wholeheartedly on everything :). DIY is cheaper, expandable/upgradeable and can be made to be as small as a whatever your buying. just buy the same or similar components and build a wooden case. wouldnt take much to add usbs or small inverter to this picture or whatever you need. (pic stolen from https://diysolarforum.com/threads/beginner-diy-eve-280ah-prismatic-lifepo4-cells-system.56043/page-2 )

the question is do you hae them time to build or intrest to build

Pros & Cons to Both;

AIOs are proprietary & some of them ( the older ones ) were difficult, more complicated, & slow to charge 12vdc from a vehicle.

Also, the earlier AIOs had a pretty high “self consumption” rate on standby. More of you get what you get & less options to turn items off like an inverter ,,, but it depends upon your use patterns if the AIO will “fit your needs”.

Then theres this route: Which I assume has more capacity

I guess my question is, which is a better route
and any suggestion would be appreciated

You don't have to assume. W=VA
997wh claimed for the power pack versus 1200wh for the battery. The odds are the power pack claims are exaggerated on top of this. Note the fact it is a 1200w inverter but make the spurious claim of 3600w peak from the 10 output ports. Not happening.

However on the subject which is a better route. The purpose for any power supply is to supply power to your loads. It can either do this or it can't. If it can't then obviously it was a worse choice. Thus any approach that fails to add up the loads is going to be fraught with error.

i disagree with astrobob wholeheartedly on everything :). DIY is cheaper, expandable/upgradeable and can be made to be as small as a whatever your buying. just buy the same or similar components and build a wooden case. wouldnt take much to add usbs or small inverter to this picture or whatever you need. (pic stolen from https://diysolarforum.com/threads/beginner-diy-eve-280ah-prismatic-lifepo4-cells-system.56043/page-2 )

the question is do you hae them time to build or intrest to build

Well, we are just going to have to disagree here. I have done both, I have both. For smaller systems, portable power stations are actually cheaper now than DiY. Things have changed quite a bit in the last year, even. I encourage you to do a little research, you might be surprised. The OP stated that he has a small trailer, and wanted a small system.

If you want a truly portable system that you can quickly move to another trailer when you get a new one, the answer is going to be a quality power station, not some hideous rube-goldberg looking device you cobbled together in a milk crate.

As I said, I have BOTH in my camper. I enjoy the diy where it fits the use case. The difference is that my diy is practical, not a passion to me.
That's great that you love and enjoy your diy hobby so much, but it's not a hobby to everyone. And it's simply not always the best solution.

Well, we are just going to have to disagree here. I have done both, I have both. For smaller systems, portable power stations are actually cheaper now than DiY. Things have changed quite a bit in the last year, even. I encourage you to do a little research, you might be surprised. The OP stated that he has a small trailer, and wanted a small system.

If you want a truly portable system that you can quickly move to another trailer when you get a new one, the answer is going to be a quality power station, not some hideous rube-goldberg looking device you cobbled together in a milk crate.

As I said, I have BOTH in my camper. I enjoy the diy where it fits the use case. The difference is that my diy is practical, not a passion to me.
That's great that you love and enjoy your diy hobby so much, but it's not a hobby to everyone. And it's simply not always the best solution.
Rube Goldberg. I'm almost 75 so there's a name that I'm familiar with
Appreciate all the answers that are helping me.

I have a small travel trailer. I diy'ed a small system to power the basic needs for the camper - water pump, propane furnace, fans, etc. 2 100 watt panels on the roof, 200ah lifpo4 house battery, 1000 watt inverter, 20amp mppt charge controller. I have a small inverter generator for emergencies and cloudy days

I camp for a month or so every year in an area that requires A/C for up to 5 hours during the day (not needed at night), and I don't want to run the genny unless absolutely necessary. My solution was a medium sized power station, (bluetti AC200L) and a healthy array of portable panels.

I am just slightly overpaneled for the ac200l (max 1200w), with the 4 320w panels. on a sunny day, the bluetti is maxed out, and no problems running ac all afternoon.

Attachments

• Bluetti_array_cabin.jpg
    Bluetti_array_cabin.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 3
  • AC200L_MS320_1200Watt.jpg
    AC200L_MS320_1200Watt.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
I don't see anything on my list that is $800???? Look, I tried to be as conservative as possible with the estimated prices, just to avoid the niggling that you are doing right now
No niggling intended, the 800 is the list of items you have that would all be part of an "All in One" inverter: ie the 2500W inverter + SCC, + battery charger as listed 500 + 200 + 100 = 800.
And I provided a real world example (the MPP 2724) which has all these items per your list for a total of $285 + shipping. Just to be clear, I used this as one example, and since I have the 2724 (see signature block below) I know what this model can do. As others noted, there are other AIO's that can do a similar role.
We all have our own experiences; the forum is the place were we can share them.

No niggling intended, the 800 is the list of items you have that would all be part of an "All in One" inverter: ie the 2500W inverter + SCC, + battery charger as listed 500 + 200 + 100 = 800.
And I provided a real world example (the MPP 2724) which has all these items per your list for a total of $285 + shipping. Just to be clear, I used this as one example, and since I have the 2724 (see signature block below) I know what this model can do. As others noted, there are other AIO's that can do a similar role.
We all have our own experiences; the forum is the place were we can share them.
Where is the MPP 2724 available as speced for $285?? Curious. Although it appears the pv voltage is limited to 50v? Wouldn't work with my portable array, at least not in series, anyways. I have a solar shed, this could be a good candidate for upgrading that. AIO's seem to be a good value.

Where is the MPP 2724 available as speced for $285?? Curious. Although it appears the pv voltage is limited to 50v? Wouldn't work with my portable array, at least not in series, anyways. I have a solar shed, this could be a good candidate for upgrading that. AIO's seem to be a good value.
Maximum solar (dot) online.
Yes, the 2724 is very limited on PV input 800W without overpaneling.
I use it for a portable unit - charges on a single PV panel until I need it, then unplug and move it to where it is needed.
The handy feature is the outlets built right into the inverter case. I have never seen any other AIO with outlets.
It basically gives you one portable 120v 20A outlet to go.

Last edited:
Maximum solar (dot) online.
Yes, the 2724 is very limited on PV input 800W without overpaneling.
I use it for a portable unit - charges on a single PV panel until I need it, then unplug and move it to where it is needed.
The handy feature is the outlets built right into the inverter case. I have never seen any other AIO with outlets.
It basically gives you one portable 120v 20A outlet to go.
Looks like a great deal, even though they are $299. But they are in Australia? I can't imagine what the shipping would be to the US. Can you get the 120 volt version from them?

Back