diy solar

diy solar

To buy or to build

DIY IS ALWAYS BETTER!!! - :love: :love: :love:
{ok, just had to say it.}
A big benefit to DIY - you will understand every component, how it works, how it is connected. You will be in control. You will learn a lot more, and will become confident in your work. You will be able to confidently trouble-shoot any issues that may arise in the future.
- And we will get to see the build as you post about it!
AND you can always add more components to it if you find yourself needing more power. When I started out, I thought a 50w array would power my life out here (it didn't). So I added a 200w array to the Honda... still wasn't enough. Then along came two 175w arrays... it FINALLY does the job, and I don't use much power at night, lol.

If you know what your needs are and what you can live with/without, that will help you with your decision. I personally calculate for 10 days of absolutely no incoming power for my system, just to be safe.

EDIT: Or do both! Have a house battery with it's own system and run a power station alongside it. I'm ordering an EcoFlow River 2 because 1] I really need a PSW inverter and my PowerQueen hates inverters with a passion (endless sparking due to their cheap bms) and 2] if your main system goes down, the power station still has power to supply other components while maintenance is underway.

Looks like a great deal, even though they are $299. But they are in Australia? I can't imagine what the shipping would be to the US. Can you get the 120 volt version from them?

i still see it for $285 at 120v from google
1709664889029.png

here in the uk they are even cheaper tho ours are 240v at 253 dollars.

1709665289144.png

Too bad the max PV is 60v, that really limits you to parallel only if you get used panels. Anything outside about 100-ish watts will be too high to run in series.

If they had used the same SCC as almost all their other units, it would be a LOT more useful.

Too bad the max PV is 60v, that really limits you to parallel only if you get used panels. Anything outside about 100-ish watts will be too high to run in series.

If they had used the same SCC as almost all their other units, it would be a LOT more useful.
agreed but for the price point its good value. while 60 VOC is tiny its double what the device the poster was asking about.

OUPES 1200W Portable Power Station with 100W Solar Panel​

Q5: How to choose the solar panel?

A: OUPES has wide compatibility with other brands of solar panels, as long as the combined open rated voltage range is within 12-30V, 250w Max.

Looks like a great deal, even though they are $299. But they are in Australia? I can't imagine what the shipping would be to the US. Can you get the 120 volt version from them?
Taiwan - these are 120 volt AC, plus three USB outlets
If you plug in your shipping information their system calculates that cost for you.
I use a commerical address and this saves me the residential delivery charge that my rural address would otherwise add from the nearest City.

Yeah, to me this is a good mobile unit, where you have limited PV space in the first place. Camper, van-life stuff.
I run mine on a single 440 Canadian solar PV panel - mounted vertical on a wall no-less! but my uses for this unit are not every day, so solar always (ok not Dec 2023) but nearly always has time to recharge between my uses for the mobile unit.
I could put two 440W panels in parallel and be slightly overpanelled but not needed generally for my use.

The other option would be a separate SCC just for additional PV if you wanted to add.

Anyway, I have said before, this is a small easy entry level AIO with the unique feature of the outlets built into the left side of the case, and some USB's for a phone. It is very handy for my truck and for trips to the cabin. It even runs my small well pump (120v) at the cabin so does all I need from it in a very small portable package. Will it run a home ? No. Will it do stuff a 20A recepticle would do - Yes. There are other options I just know this one.

Yup and only a 1 year warranty. And no app that I can see.

AND you can always add more components to it if you find yourself needing more power. When I started out, I thought a 50w array would power my life out here (it didn't). So I added a 200w array to the Honda... still wasn't enough. Then along came two 175w arrays... it FINALLY does the job, and I don't use much power at night, lol.

If you know what your needs are and what you can live with/without, that will help you with your decision. I personally calculate for 10 days of absolutely no incoming power for my system, just to be safe.

EDIT: Or do both! Have a house battery with it's own system and run a power station alongside it. I'm ordering an EcoFlow River 2 because 1] I really need a PSW inverter and my PowerQueen hates inverters with a passion (endless sparking due to their cheap bms) and 2] if your main system goes down, the power station still has power to supply other components while maintenance is underway.
This is practical thinking. I do both, as fits the use case. ecoflow and bluetti have come up with some nice hardware, and good control apps. It's really hard to beat a tightly integrated and well functioning system used where it fits the bill. When you add up the warranty, 1 app control, good inverter and quiet fans, these things are a bargain for an RV application.

a 3000 W inverter running on a 24 battery = 125A
You can DIY a battery pack with 150A BMS and your good to go. Or use a 200A if you are worried about some start up surge loads like motors or chop saws etc.
My own 2724 is running on a 315Ah pack, with 150A BMS all good, I ran the MIG from it today working on the next PV array racking.
I have two diy batteries. Just saying that no AIOs at to suit that requirement

Back