diy solar

diy solar

Simple Solar to power LED lights in a cargo trailer

racer47

Hello all and TYIA for any advice.

I may have made mistakes already but here goes....

I bought a 100 watt solar panel to mount on top of a cargo trailer. Inside I have 4 small LED light bars mounted to the ceiling rails. I also have bought a Renogy 30 amp Wanderer solar charge controller. All I want to do is power the LED lights for possibly a 12 hour time period. I am not looking to have an inverter installed and power any 120 Volt devices.

#1, is the 100 watt panel enough to do this?
#2, is the Renogy 30 amp controller OK for what im doing?
#3, Do I need a deep cycle 12 volt battery or will any 12 volt battery be ok?

Again, keep in mind, Im only powering LED lights. I have a generator that I use to power my tools.

Thanks

I bought a 100 watt solar panel to mount on top of a cargo trailer. Inside I have 4 small LED light bars mounted to the ceiling rails. I also have bought a Renogy 30 amp Wanderer solar charge controller. All I want to do is power the LED lights for possibly a 12 hour time period. I am not looking to have an inverter installed and power any 120 Volt devices.

Again, keep in mind, Im only powering LED lights. I have a generator that I use to power my tools.

Thanks
#1, Maybe. Depends on how much power the lights use, and how long you use them, and how much sun you get.
#2, Probably. Would have to know model of panel and controller to be 100% sure.
#3, Yes.

Thanks
If I had a username name and cargo trailer like yours, I might be only using said trailer on weekends and such at the track. But those kinds details may make a difference.

#1, Maybe. Depends on how much power the lights use, and how long you use them, and how much sun you get.
#2, Probably. Would have to know model of panel and controller to be 100% sure.
#3, Yes.
For question #3 are you saying that either battery will work ok? Not sure ill need a deep cycle as the charging would be semi constant as needed .... sort of like an alternator on a car .... which does not require a deep cycle.

Yes, Its just used on weekends at the race track. Nighttime races and would like to have the lights be able to be on for 5-6 hours.
Your panel and charge controller are probably up to the task as long as you don't have shade on the panel all week.
Starting batteries are easily damaged by low voltage. I would probably opt for a small deep cycle agm and call it good.

An AGM or LFP will be your best bet. If freezing temps are a concern, go AGM. As a rule of thumb the LFP has double the capacity of AGM on dollars per usable watt

The controller is good for 300w of panel so you're plenty good there.

Look at the wattage rating of your lights, add them up, multiply by hours, add 10% and that's how many Usable watt hours you'll need.

An AGM or LFP will be your best bet. If freezing temps are a concern, go AGM. As a rule of thumb the LFP has double the capacity of AGM on dollars per usable watt

The controller is good for 300w of panel so you're plenty good there.

Look at the wattage rating of your lights, add them up, multiply by hours, add 10% and that's how many Usable watt hours you'll need.
Good info, thanks

Back