diy solar

diy solar

Solar Cargo Trailer Built - System Check Please

eXodus

Solar Addict
Currently planning a 7x14 or 7x16 Trailer - for towing behind my Class A RV to move to a new property.
There we are going to built a small house. During construction this trailer should also server as base of operations to support the whole thing.

Storing tools. Washing machine. Etc. Powering the RV where we are going to live.

Cargo Solar Trailer Built.jpg

I have not yet selected solar Panels - but likely some residential panels - somewhere in the 460-490W Range.
1702657213825.png

Those are local cheaper then freight.

I'm looking at the 6000XP - because it's 120/240V AC right away and I can expand later. Further it should already have all fuses and breakers included correct? I like the PowerPro Wall mount - it should fit nice against a trailer wall so I can still use it for storage.

Do I miss anything?

I have a 7x16 and doing something similar. Are you planning on leaving the trailer for storage or just using while you're there? It would be better to leverage your RVs system.

I used superstruts and 100w panels. The struts are screwed into the roof frame then panels are into the struts. I figured the smaller panels are better than larger on a cargo trailer incase of cracks. Just last week we needed to transport 40ft ladders and able to strap on top of the panels.

With I would have got 8.5x20. Glad I got extra tall though. The 16ft turns sharper than the RV.

Would it make more sense to build the solar array on the ground since it will be stationary?
Vehicle mounted systems are for traveling. Seems you need it to just sit near your house and trailer.

I have a 7x16 and doing something similar. Are you planning on leaving the trailer for storage or just using while you're there?
trailer is going to stay there as storage, all the solar parts are supposed to power the house down the line.
Basically a jobsite trailer.

My RV's system is small in comparison, just 1000w of solar and 10kWh battery. 3000W Inverter 120V.
Glad I got extra tall though, The 16ft turns sharper than the RV.
thanks for the heads up. Definitely need something where I can stand up with 6'2.
Not too much concerned about the turning circle - my Class A is shorter then yours and on a Workhorse P32 Plattform - the turning circle is spooky small. My Full Size Pickup has bigger turning circle.
Would it make more sense to build the solar array on the ground since it will be stationary?
Vehicle mounted systems are for traveling. Seems you need it to just sit near your house and trailer.
Building it on the trailer gives me the opportunity to built the power system on my old place before moving to the new.
One less thing to worry about during initial construction setup. But I definitely consider expanding with a ground mount array - at some point.
I think the 6000XP has 8000W of solar input and I would be using about 4000w on the trailer - so could add another 4KW on the ground, or house.

The second consideration - my new place is potentially seasonal. I might have the opportunity to work remote and Snowbird between south and north. So that trailer would need to be moved 2x a year.

Currently planning a 7x14 or 7x16 Trailer - for towing behind my Class A RV to move to a new property.
There we are going to built a small house. During construction this trailer should also server as base of operations to support the whole thing.

Storing tools. Washing machine. Etc. Powering the RV where we are going to live.

View attachment 183107

I have not yet selected solar Panels - but likely some residential panels - somewhere in the 460-490W Range.
View attachment 183109

Those are local cheaper then freight.

I'm looking at the 6000XP - because it's 120/240V AC right away and I can expand later. Further it should already have all fuses and breakers included correct? I like the PowerPro Wall mount - it should fit nice against a trailer wall so I can still use it for storage.

Do I miss anything?
You are pretty much an exact copy of Wills 48v off grid system. Just compare yours to his, done.

Ours is 12" extra height and it's perfect for everything. Nice to be able to stand up mattresses and stuff. The downside is I get 5mpg when pulling with my rangerover, assuming because of the height.

I also got a V-nose and regret that. Harder to fit and strap items since it's a v. Also bent both sides of the V on my old RV from having to make super tight turns. On a backup cam you see the a frame and all looks good

You are pretty much an exact copy of Wills 48v off grid system. Just compare yours to his, done.
I haven't seen that one yet. The video yes, but not the website.

Yes, I'm essentially planning half of that 48V Blueprint System. That is the nice thing - if I should need more power in the future I could just double.
But most of the time I'm living on less then 3000W, 6000XP is already double that.

It seems to be so easy, my current systems have a so many components and stuff - with the double MPPT and all the breakers and switches in the 6000XP already integrated - it seems that could be a very fast built.

Got the Signature Solar Components ordered. Free shipping end of year sale, yeah :)

Next steps:

1. Going to my local solar warehouse and getting some good deal surplus panels.
2. Buying a trailer to house all the components, and my moving goods.
3. Designing a tilt system, either for the roof panels, or the wing panels, or all of them.

1702755030502.png

If you can pull a slightly larger trailer with dual axle, it might be useful for your application.
Currently researching trailers, I'm genuine surprised how light those are. My RV can Tow 6000lbs / 600lbs tongue.

The Solar Setup 8 Panels (50lbs each) + 300lbs battery + 100 lbs Inverter and wire, adds up to a total of 800lbs.

From: https://www.usacargotrailersales.com/trailer-info/weights/

1703761174040.png

1703761222674.png

So even a double axle solar trailer would end up likely around 3000lbs. So I still got almost 3000lbs left for before I hit the motorhomes limit and I don't have that much stuff, at least not heavy - just volume.

Step 2. done trailer purchased, delivered and registered - sitting in my driveway. 7x14 trailer. White, flat roof. 2x 3500 lbs. axles. 2120 lbs empty

PXL_20240201_214958880.jpg

EG4 6000XP
EG PowerPro Wallmount 14.3 delivered

PXL_20240127_114624975.MP.jpg

Next, mounting all those things :) pictures about to follow

I am wondering if it would not be just as easy to just hard mount the panels on top and the sides vs dealing with tilting?

I am wondering if it would not be just as easy to just hard mount the panels on top and the sides vs dealing with tilting?
it is probably easier not to deal with tilting. Maybe I just got the lazy route and fix mount the panels to the sides.

But it would be so cool to have them deploy with the push of a button :)

I should have all the parts for the roof together beginning of next week. Will learn then how complicated the system is I came up with.

it is probably easier not to deal with tilting. Maybe I just got the lazy route and fix mount the panels to the sides.

But it would be so cool to have them deploy with the push of a button :)

I should have all the parts for the roof together beginning of next week. Will learn then how complicated the system is I came up with.
Oh heck, I thought this was another forum, Here! I got your answer for push a button! Go to this thread, watch this vid, roftop solar tracker unit!

Panels are mounted, on Unistrut.

Ended up just using 4. Will get another few when I know where I settle.

PXL_20240406_233617514.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_232042152.jpg
    PXL_20240408_232042152.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 6
Back