diy solar

diy solar

Help using harborfreight 100w system to power chicken coop and pond

medeksza

Hello. I am new to solar, keeping backyard chickens, and ponds. Have a small flock of 6 chickens that we got in April and they just recently started laying eggs in the summer. Their coop is far away from the house and near a bunch of trees. Chickens need 14-16 hours of daylight for maximum egg laying and can stop laying if there is less than 12 hours. Currently as summer is nearing the end we are getting less than 13 hours of daylight, but I think due to the coop placement near trees the chickens perceive it as less as they go to bed early. So I need to give them supplemental light.

I also have a new small pond that needs a filter to keep it clean and looking nice.

I found a chicken lighting system that has 3 small LED lights on an automated timer that runs off of 12VDC. It draws 15 watts when the lights are actually on, and a very small amount to run the timer 24/7. I just need to run it 3 hours each day from about 4 am to 7 am.

Next I am still looking at different pond pumps, but leaning toward one that runs at about 50 watts. It doesn't need to run 24/7, just as much as reasonable. Maybe 8 hours would be good enough, and doesn't need to run when the chicken lights are on.

So I thought the harbor freight thunderbolt magnum 100W solar kit would fit the bill so I bought that yesterday along with a battery and set it up today. I'm waiting for the chicken light to come in the mail in a few days. Haven't ordered the pond pump yet, but will soon. I have a few questions/concerns about the setup.

The harbor freight solar controller has a setting called "output duration". It only accepts values between 0 and 15. Does that mean it can't run my chicken light? Does it start a 15 hour timer when it detects a load and then come back on again after 9 hours? Or does someone need to push a button on it each day to run a load? If it can't run off the controller, can I just run the chicken lights directly off the battery? What benefit/purpose is there to run the load thru the controller?

What about when I get my pond pump? Should I connect that directly to the battery or should I go through the controller? I could get a timer for it to run it just 8 hours a day or so, but what I would really like to do is run it as long as possible while ensuring there is still enough charge to run the chicken lights 4-7 am the next morning. Any way I can do that?

TL;DR
Make shit easy for people trying to help you (link the manual).
Check solar availability in your area with link #5 in my sig, and see if you produce at least 445Wh of energy from a 100W panel.
Ignore the lightbulb connection and attach timers/devices directly to the 12V

--------------------------

15W * 3hr = 45Wh
50W * 8hr = 400Wh

You need to supply 445Wh of energy per day.

Link #5 in my signature will allow you to determine how many equivalent hours of "full power" you can get per day with collection spread over the entire day, e.g., if it says you get 4.5 hours, you will collect 4.5 * 100W = 450Wh. You will want to look at the worst case months for your location. Make sure you get the panel facing and angle correct.

Did you purchase a 12V battery too?

Don't worry, since you didn't provide a link, I was able to find it myself (hint: make shit easy for people trying to help you):

You have 3 connections on your charge controller:

PV in
Battery
Load (light bulb)

Since the manual shows a picture of a light bulb, I interpret this to be means of controlling the LOAD output of the controller. Zero may disable the output altogether, or it may disable the timer and provide voltage to the load output at all times. You can simply bypass this by connecting your devices/timers directly to the 12V battery.

Great, thank you for your help. I will just try to wire my devices directly to the battery instead of the load output of the controller. And the solar calculator you linked to is basically telling me that before October I'll need to add a fifth 25 watt panel to increase the system to 125 watts total. Thanks again.

Back