diy solar

diy solar

Chicken coop 2

XtremeGT

Chicken coop door has a sensor to open when it's light out. Problem is some mornings the battery is dying and door doesn't open. Controller has voltage from solar panels. So why do I need a battery. Can't Controller give power directly from solar panel?
Is there settings in Controller for this type of setup? Do I need a different controller? or should I switch panel wires on controller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_084039_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_084039_Chrome.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 5
We have the farm lite chicken coop door with a 20w solperk panel and charge controller hooked to a 12v 10ah lead acid battery and our works great!! So I assume you’ll need a battery and controller if you didn’t purchase it with you panel?
Our system was very easy to install and set up.
I highly doubt you can run the door on panel alone as you’re seeing.

We have an automatic chicken door. Have put one lantern battery in it in 3 years. Works great. No AC or solar. Just battery

How do you have it wired now and what battery do you have?

Can you post a pic of the wiring?
12v fla deep cycle 95ah
Everything is wired correctly.
As shown on controller above. Panel, battery and door all wire into controller. Just wondering if there was another way without battery. Say wire panels into battery connection on controller. But those battery only doors look enticing.

Just wondering if there was another way without battery. Say wire panels into battery connection on controller. But those battery only doors look enticing.
There might be. I asked for what i thought i needed to know to see if i could come up with another way.

Chicken coop door has a sensor to open when it's light out. Problem is some mornings the battery is dying and door doesn't open. Controller has voltage from solar panels. So why do I need a battery. Can't Controller give power directly from solar panel?
Is there settings in Controller for this type of setup? Do I need a different controller? or should I switch panel wires on controller?
So you have 12V SLA 95Ah battery.
How much power does the automatic door use and how often is it activated?
It sounds like you are using more power from the battery than you are putting in or battery is dying or not properly charged.

There might be. I asked for what i thought i needed to know to see if i could come up with another way.
I put battery wires. Solar panel wires and then door wires where it shows light = load on. I guess my battery was just low on charge because one of the battery wires was pulled out. Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_084039_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_084039_Chrome.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1
Back