diy solar

diy solar

Help with choosing additional equipment and configuration

Rebar

Hey gang! New to the forum and would really appreciated some help. I run a small farm in Michigan and am currently building a honeybee therapy tiny cabin. It consist of two beds that have honeybee colonies inside. The beds have holes in them with screen covering so the bees can't get into the structure, but when you lay down on the beds, you are immersed in the scents, sounds, and vibration the colonies make. I have already built the beds and am planning the build of the cabin itself, trying to keep the area small, one story. The dream is to have a small sound system inside as well as ambient lighting, a fan for cooling on hot days, etcetera. I will build it in a location that would offer privacy if guests use it, which will be off grid on the back woods/ meadows of the farm. The lean-to style roof will be adequate to accommodate 6 solar panels and could be designed with optimal pitch and south facing in full sun. I came across a super deal on new solar panels last year and bought a pallet full. These are Q Cells, 340 watts each (no micro inverters). I was gifted two batteries, 12v, (specs attached). The cable length should be able to stay within 10 feet with a charge controller installed inside the cabin.
I was considering the Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT MC4 VE.Can 250V 85 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller. Although using the Victron calculator it seems that this wouldn't be enough for six panels. I am completely new to solar and am asking for advice going forward. Is this arrangement most likely overkill? Would you go with something smaller/ less panels? Would you configure in series or parallel or combination? Would a different type of CC make more sense? Is a very small basic inverter adequate to power just a few things?
Lots of questions I know, Thank you!

Attachments

• Q_CELLS_Data_sheet_Q.PEAK_DUO_BLK-G6_AC_340-345_2020-07_Rev01_NA.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ACMEsolarbattery.pdf
    552.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Interesting alternative therapy method. I'm a fan of NON big pharma techniques. I do a monthly, 90 min Biomagnetism session and have been quite pleased with the results.

First thing you need to do is take a step back and stop focusing on the solar equipment and do an assessment/estimate of the electrical needs of the structure. This would include heating/cooling, fans, lighting, sound systems Etc. With this info the system can be sized and designed. Then the equipment is selected.

Interesting alternative therapy method. I'm a fan of NON big pharma techniques. I do a monthly, 90 min Biomagnetism session and have been quite pleased with the results.

First thing you need to do is take a step back and stop focusing on the solar equipment and do an assessment/estimate of the electrical needs of the structure. This would include heating/cooling, fans, lighting, sound systems Etc. With this info the system can be sized and designed. Then the equipment is selected.
Hey thanks for the advice! I can definitely see the logic behind planning out the power consumption first. I've been attempting a different route because I generally piece things together as I find salvaged materials or good deals. I'm also trying to get as much in place during the winter because things get really busy on the farm during the growing season. I know that this structure will get occasional use. I need to keep it minimal, but I'd like to make it comfortable enough to offer guests use of the space for a day or weekend. Your advice makes sense though. I need to get a better understanding of what a few panels can produce. For instance, would a few 340 watt panels produce enough power to run a small space heater for a night? Heating/ cooling will need to be limited to very slight adjustments because it could have adverse effects on the bees to have wild temperature swings out of sync with the seasons. For now my thoughts on electrical needs would be power for lights, a room fan, perhaps a vented ceiling fan in a small bathroom that will have a composting toilet installed, a very small heater, a toaster oven, a medium size sound system, and an outlet for extra accessories and to charge computers and cell phones and such. Are you suggesting that I have a detailed plan, like adding up the wattage from each component used or will a general layout such as I described be enough to work on designing the system?

Last edited:
For instance, would a few 340 watt panels produce enough run a small space heater for a night?
Depends on the heater and how long you consider night.

My space heaters are about 1500W.
It needs at least a 2000W inverter.

340W panels x 2.73h solar = 928Wh produced in january each day by a single panel

1500W heater / .85 inverter efficiency = 1764W run rate

928Wh / 1764W = .52h (30 minutes very best case for each 340W panel)

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 2.51.31 PM.png

Depends on the heater and how long you consider night.
Yes the space heater I have is 1500 watts as well. The Space itself will be only around 1000 cubic square feet at most and the bees do generate heat as well. That's quite a serious amount of energy and equipment needed to run such a small heater for a short time though. Definitely puts things into perspective... Thanks so much for that info!

For now my thoughts on electrical needs would be power for lights, a room fan, perhaps a vented ceiling fan in a small bathroom that will have a composting toilet installed, a very small heater, a toaster oven, a medium size sound system, and an outlet for extra accessories and to charge computers and cell phones and such. Are you suggesting that I have a detailed plan, like adding up the wattage from each component used or will a general layout such as I described be enough to work on designing the system?
Yes, adding up the wattage is the first step. A toaster oven and space heater together are probably deal breakers. A toaster oven is 1200W to 1500W and the space heater, even one with 2 or 3 heat settings, is going to be 500W minimum which isn't much heat. With those 2 appliances the power demand is approaching 2000W. Guaranteed a "guest" is not going to remember to turn off the heater when they want to warm up their pop tart in the toaster oven. So in this scenario you really have to plan for the worst case when with everything on at once.

You mentioned 12V batteries. It requires 175A @12V to supply 2000W. As MisterSandals points out the run time is going to be too short to be meaningful.

You have a great project but perhaps somewhat unrealistic expectations of the performance of low cost, salvaged items. I would recommend considering a 24V or 48V system with a minimum of 3000W inverter.

Back