diy solar

diy solar

Help with Growatt SPF 5000 ES

huwatt

Hi Guys,
i have 2 spf5000es in parallel + shine card + 15kw of growatt ark lv1 battery

host inverter have firmware version ( 040 05 701 and 041 05 701 )
slave inverter have firmware version ( 067 01 104 and 068 01 104 )

battery connected over can bus

in both inverters the follow settings:

001 = SBU
002 = 50
003 = APL
004 = dl5
005 = li
006 = ENA
007 = ENA
008 = 230V
009 = 50
010 = 4
011 = 0V
012 = 30% back to ac
013 = 35% disconnect from ac
015 = OFF
016 = ON
017 = OFF
018 = dl5
021 = 10% (cut)
028 = 1
019, 020 an more = can't set because connected over can bus

my problem regarding discharge of battery, when back to ac utility both inverters get around 90w from battery and in morning of next day i have always battery with 3% and still get energy from battery

of course this problem in winter time

why discharge battery if back to ac ?

solution would be if i charge battery in the night by utility ac but why i must to do that?? I hope something wrong in my settings

thx

The battery supplies the AIO with operating current. So with no solar or no utility charging it will eventually get drained. You can allow for that by setting a higher transfer to utility setpoint leaving more battery capacity to take you through when no solar. You can also watch the level of battery voltage and manually intervene to start utility charging.

in SBU set 2A or higher for P11. Your battery will not get drained anymore as the inverter should charge as soon P12 is reached. Don´t worry if the inverter will not reliably switch to grid. This is a known issue of the growatts and most people who are using SBU are suffering from this problem unitl now.

btw. in your parameter settings you list P11 as 0V this is not right P11 is restricting the amperes not the voltage.

As a side note...I've installed the Growatt SPFs and actually met with some company folks. I won't have anything to do with Growatt anymore. A large dealer here in Arizona won't sell/install them anymore either. There are issues.

in SBU set 2A or higher for P11. Your battery will not get drained anymore as the inverter should charge as soon P12 is reached. Don´t worry if the inverter will not reliably switch to grid. This is a known issue of the growatts and most people who are using SBU are suffering from this problem unitl now.

btw. in your parameter settings you list P11 as 0V this is not right P11 is restricting the amperes not the voltage.

Yes thx, P11 i wrong, is A.

P11 2A and charge solar+utility solve my question

Thx

As a side note...I've installed the Growatt SPFs and actually met with some company folks. I won't have anything to do with Growatt anymore. A large dealer here in Arizona won't sell/install them anymore either. There are issues.
I don't know why you say this, you did not say anything to back that up. I have been running 3 paralleled for a year now running my entire home, deep well pumps, heat pumps, freezers, no change in lifestyle with virtually no issues, I could not be happier.

What exactly are you saying is the fix for that?

no fix until now. Report it to you local Growatt representative and or the support. Growatt will only take action if enough people report the same issue with their inverter.

Only thing you can do when it overides P12 to manually disconnect the grid input for a few seconds and reconnect itagain - then it should start to switch to bypass

I don't know why you say this, you did not say anything to back that up. I have been running 3 paralleled for a year now running my entire home, deep well pumps, heat pumps, freezers, no change in lifestyle with virtually no issues, I could not be happier.
I am glad you are having great luck with them!! Nice to hear your system is up an running and meeting your needs. Well done!
Unfortunately that has not been the case in this area either with me personally or with a large major installer here as well. But, the systems I am referring to are all older than your year-old system. Sounds as if they may have fixed the issues...glad to hear that. Sadly, they lost the confidence of many in this area. The last system I did was finally able to stabilize to be useful for the customer after numerous firmware updates and manipulating settings. Looking at the large number of Growatt threads regarding problems they may not have resolved all of the issues as of yet. Then again, which brands are fault free.

Hi Guys,
i have 2 spf5000es in parallel + shine card + 15kw of growatt ark lv1 battery

host inverter have firmware version ( 040 05 701 and 041 05 701 )
slave inverter have firmware version ( 067 01 104 and 068 01 104 )

battery connected over can bus

in both inverters the follow settings:

001 = SBU
002 = 50
003 = APL
004 = dl5
005 = li
006 = ENA
007 = ENA
008 = 230V
009 = 50
010 = 4
011 = 0V
012 = 30% back to ac
013 = 35% disconnect from ac
015 = OFF
016 = ON
017 = OFF
018 = dl5
021 = 10% (cut)
028 = 1
019, 020 an more = can't set because connected over can bus

my problem regarding discharge of battery, when back to ac utility both inverters get around 90w from battery and in morning of next day i have always battery with 3% and still get energy from battery

of course this problem in winter time

why discharge battery if back to ac ?

solution would be if i charge battery in the night by utility ac but why i must to do that?? I hope something wrong in my settings

thx
Hi,
did you try to set parameter 14 to CSO ?
Then battery will be recharged only by the grid when SoC will be below 30% and charging stops at 35%. (With your settings)
I configured this way.
OSO remains in discharge the batteries for pwr supply for the inverters. It's just bypassing the grid on the output.

But I'm faced with another issue:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/3...n-us3000c-charging-interrupts-suddenly.53959/

Nice to read your charging seem to work correctly, cause my FW versions are identical.
Now I think my 3x US3000C could be the reason.
Got reply from Pylontech today...

BR
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Thomas, sounds for me like a faulty panel or PV cable. I have to admint the mppt´s of the SPF inverters are constantly switching between idle and charging when there is not enough power from the panels especially at dusk, dawn and cloudy days this happens. Do you experience this also when the sun is shining? btw where are you located in Germany? Gruß aus Oberfranken!

Hi kirkdis,
I'm located near the dutch border, west of düsseldorf. The weather is very poor for solar power currently...
But on last saturday we had sunshine and this toggling occurs also. Input pwr rises up to ~1.2kW on each string. (3.4kW nominal rating, 9x JAM60S20 on each SPF)

Yes you're right to consider cables so I already rewired one SPF to single mode only with it's 9x JAM60S20 on the 3x US3000C. As of this moment charging works correctly.
In my opinion this means: solar cables / panels are ok and cabling to the US3000C is also ok.

Reseller replied today: Fortunately they confirmed this issue ! They asked for P/N & S/N now.

Meanwhile I do update the US3000C. (Incorrect "Internal fault" alarm caused by buggy FW !)

Beste Grüße und einen schönen Abend vom Niederrhein

Hi guys,
regarding my initial post i solve but is not perfect.

Randomly aroud 1 time every 5/6 weeks both inverters locked to by-pass utility and battery is fully of charge.

For back to use the battery i must turn off both inverters, PV, battery and utility. Turn On everything and ill back to work correctly

Is it a normal management? To Someone happen like me?

Thx

It´s an issue with their SBU mode. As far I investigated this is not addressed by any actual known firmware. It seems to me that the frequency from the input is not correctly synched to the output in SBU mode. Once this situation happens the inverter refuses to switch back to AC which causes full drain from the battery.
I found an easy workaround by using the dry contact which switches a contactor 63A to activate and deactivate the AC IN power. I switched to SUB mode but SOL also works... P12 and P13 will activate/deactivate the input power via the dry contact and this works since 2 months very reliable... say goodbye to SBU mode and be happy

Back