diy solar

diy solar

Hi guys , Pierre here in Cape Town , South Africa.

Pierre

Somewhere down South
I am experimenting with LiFePO4 100ah battery packs and recently received my new Tenergy T180 balance charger for cell management.
The capacity can however only be set up to 50 ah and meter gave me an error message when wanting to balance 4 x 3.2v 100 ah cells in series.
Looks like I made the wrong purchase for my requirements.
Any comments / advice will be appreciate.
Regards.

I kept the T180 and just set it to the max battery capacity . All that that setting does is preset the charging current which you can alter anyway up to 10 amps. All other functions work great and I am very happy with the unit now that I have experimented with it and understand it.

Last edited:
I kept the T180 and just set it to the max battery capacity . All that that setting does is preset the charging current which you can alter anyway up to 10 amps. All other functions work great and I am very happy with the unit now that I have experimented with it and understand it.
Ok cool I am in Johannesburg and have 8 of the 60AH units but have been struggling to get something in country.

Where did you get the T180 from.

Bought it on Amazon. Pick the one that ships to RSA -- all duties , VAT etc included when you check out.

I build portable 12v battery systems for camping , RV , off road and off grid applications.
Typically 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 packs with BMS.
I use various test equipment including a 12 / 230v 1000VA Victron inverter and a 20amp Victron charger.
For testing battery capacity I built a test rack with 5 x BC lamp holders so that I can vary the load from 0 to about 800w by
adding / removing lamps.

I build portable 12v battery systems for camping , RV , off road and off grid applications.
Typically 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 packs with BMS.
I use various test equipment including a 12 / 230v 1000VA Victron inverter and a 20amp Victron charger.
For testing battery capacity I built a test rack with 5 x BC lamp holders so that I can vary the load from 0 to about 800w by
adding / removing lamps.
Ok sounds like fun.

Whats your current recommended setup in terms of solar system for off-grid

Solar will be my next field of interest.
I suggest buying Will Prowse’s book on this subject.

Back