diy solar

diy solar

Homemade lithium Jump Box or battery booster...whatever name tickles your fancy

Checkthisout

Solar Wizard
 So Im thinking. You need a bms for charging the thing up but there aren't really any BMS that can deliver the current I would want.

So I think the jumper leads should bypass the bms.

Has anyone constructed one of these things? A case for an old one would work great.

4 of these little guys right here.

Those type of Prismatic cells are typically for solar storage are rated at a relatively low 1C continuous discharge rate with momentary excursions up to 2C or maybe 3C. This would possibly be enough current for a 4 cylinder economy vehicle but undersized for larger gasoline engines and not usable on a diesel.
There are specialized high current LFP cells available such as these. Although they are only 40Ah so 2 cells in parallel would provide 400+ Amps at a 5C discharge rate.

Those type of Prismatic cells are typically for solar storage are rated at a relatively low 1C continuous discharge rate with momentary excursions up to 2C or maybe 3C. This would possibly be enough current for a 4 cylinder economy vehicle but undersized for larger gasoline engines and not usable on a diesel.
There are specialized high current LFP cells available such as these. Although they are only 40Ah so 2 cells in parallel would provide 400+ Amps at a 5C discharge rate.

105AH x 3 available for 30 seconds = 315 AMPS, yes?

So correct me but that's 315 amps for 30 seconds which is enough to start something like a Cummins, Powerstroke or Duramax. This assumes the starting battery is stone cold dead. I assume the terminals themselves are a limiting factor (heating)?

Wondering what "damage" would be done if you carefully go over that rating?

Fawk it, run it and see what happens?

105AH x 3 available for 30 seconds = 315 AMPS, yes?
Only if you're jump starting a 3v battery or have a 3p4s battery build. Remember, you need 4 of them in series to get up to a 12v battery, and the limit is still the 2c of the cell, so 105Ah cells @ 3.6v * 4 cells in series = 14.4v @ 200a for 30 seconds.

You might find these useful.
I've had 2 in series for months, I haven't tried starting a vehicle with them though.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
$32.96 42%OFF | Built-in BT JBD 3S 4S 12V LFP NMC Smart BMS 100A 150A Support Connected in Series Common Port Balance For Car Starting Power

Edit - it's been almost a year... Where the heck does time go.
Screenshot_20240229-174619.jpg

Only if you're jump starting a 3v battery or have a 3p4s battery build. Remember, you need 4 of them in series to get up to a 12v battery, and the limit is still the 2c of the cell, so 105Ah cells @ 3.6v * 4 cells in series = 14.4v @ 200a for 30 seconds.

The cells are 105ah so a 12V pack of 4 is 105ah @ 12 volts. The cells are rated to discharge at 3 X their ah rating for 30 seconds so that's 315 amps for 30 seconds, yes?

Per the Specs:

Maximum Charge/Discharge Rating (30 Seconds)1C/3C

Not against the idea but if you were trying to fit a lifepo4 replacement battery into the existing case of a jump box that used to have an SLA in it, you'd probably end up putting one of the many lifepo4 motorcycle starter batteries into it such as what i was playing with here: motorcycle battery in tiny tractor

The prices dropped to $39.00 per cell!

That's a fawk it run it and see what happens price.

Back