diy solar

diy solar

Homemade solar generator issue

saswok

Built this temporary solar generator for my off grid property so my wife can work from there while I build the leanto for our permanent solar setup. My issue is when the charger is not plugged in and just turning on that lower 300 amp circuit breaker nothing will start or work until I plug in the charger. Have not tried solar pv input at the top yet. I'm hoping it's something simple I missed?

Attachments

• 17149435426483097137803279000928.jpg
    17149435426483097137803279000928.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 18
Please describe that 300A circuit breaker, the black thing with red switch below the MPPT?

You appear to have:

MultiPlus 24/3000
Lynx Power In
MPPT 100/50
BlueSmart 24V
DC Two Pole breaker for future Solar PV
Shunt with fancy LCD display

A brief schematic or description of what's connected to what would help.

From your description, you are saying that the MultiPlus will not start up unless the charger is on.
Is that correct?

And what power source are you using to power the BlueSmart charger? (PLEASE don't say the MultiPlus!)

Last edited:
I have read so much over the last 10 years it hurts my head. I feel like I read somewhere that the sok batteries need voltage in to wake them maybe? I dunno...

Built this temporary solar generator for my off grid property so my wife can work from there while I build the leanto for our permanent solar setup. My issue is when the charger is not plugged in and just turning on that lower 300 amp circuit breaker nothing will start or work until I plug in the charger.
From your description, your battery is either completely dead or not connected. Use a meter to check battery voltage both at the battery and at the inverter input. If it's <10V at the battery, then the battery is dead. If the battery is 26V or so and the voltage is <10V at the inverter, then there's a wiring/breaker problem.

I assume there are no other fuses or breakers other than the solar DC two-pole and the 300A Black device with the red switch.
I assume the Lynx Power In simply combines all of the + on one busbar and the - on the other.
Are those lugs tightened down?

With charger off and unplugged have 24v at Batts and inverter
Do you have a load on the AC outlets?
The MultiPlus has the following power saving modes (are you using Search mode?)

AES (Automatic Economy Switch)
If this setting is turned 'on', the power consumption in no-load operation and with low loads is decreased by approx. 20%, by slightly 'narrowing' the sinusoidal voltage. Applicable in stand-alone configuration only.
Search Mode
Instead of the AES mode, the search mode can also be chosen. If search mode is 'on', the power consumption in no-load operation is decreased by approx. 70%. In this mode the product, when operating in inverter mode, is switched off in case of no load or very low load, and switches on every two seconds for a short period. If the output current exceeds a set level, the inverter will continue to operate. If not, the inverter will shut down again.

The circuit breaker I snagged from my sprinter vans old 12 v agm setup could that be a problem maybe the circuit breaker is 12v only?

Unplugged from ac charger and working fine. Just when I shutoff that 300 amp circuit breaker it won't start again until plugged into ac

Attachments

• 1714946639631777502808166984640.jpg
    1714946639631777502808166984640.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 7
The circuit breaker I snagged from my sprinter vans old 12 v agm setup could that be a problem maybe the circuit breaker is 12v only?
You won't find out until you put major current through it, and need it to trip.
If it is not rated for 24V nominal, it will burn up.

Fortunately, lots of vehicle gear out there frequently works with 24V systems.
Most people on the forum here have very little confidence in that style of breaker (depending on brand).

Unplugged from ac charger and working fine. Just when I shutoff that 300 amp circuit breaker it won't start again until plugged into ac
You shouldn't be using that 300A breaker as a switch, but since you are,
give the multiplus at least a minute to startup after turning the breaker on.

And put some kind of load on the AC outlets.

I have multiple switches I can hookup, let me try that I was just trying add another level of safety lol

Read this thread (it's for 12V but the same thing applies).
Capacitor pre-charge may be putting your batteries into protection mode, enabling the charger power brings it out.

I recommend that once it is up and running, leave the 300A breaker on.
If you are drawing too much power, you can enable Search mode.

27vdc at inverter
If you have 27V at the inverter TERMINALS and it's not starting it's an enable issue.

Is the green INVERTER light on when you are not seeing any output?

diy solar

diy solar
Back