diy solar

diy solar

How are you charging your portable packs?

hour

I have two 10P4S Lifepo4 packs that I placed in pelican case knockoffs with 20a chinese bluetooth BMS units. I don't want to charge them in parallel btw - individually is fine. I used different 26650's in each pack and they're frequently at different SOC anyway.

Inconvenient charging method 1:
  1. Prop open case lid
  2. Fish out balance wire
  3. Connect hobby charger
  4. Plug 24v power supply in to hobby charger
  5. Do nothing because it'll charge, balance (plus BMS is balancing), and shut off on its own
More convenient but bulkier charging method 2:
  1. Connect Victron 75/15 MPPT (LFP profile, 13.9v absorption) to battery box
  2. Plug 24v power supply / solar / USB-PD trigger set to 20v + Macbook charger to PV input
  3. Do nothing because it'll charge to 13.9v which gets each cell to at least 3.45v - both packs are well balanced (plus BMS is balancing)
I'd like a more self contained method... like plug one wire in to the box and forget about it, without lugging the MPPT around (which I also put in a knockoff pelican case with ventilation fan) I suppose this could be done with a finely tuned power supply but I lose the benefit of both approaches in that charging terminates when the magic # is hit.

Is there some module my googling is missing that does this? Accept either the perfect voltage or step it down - but mainly terminate when the pack reaches a certain voltage?

I've seen the red 5 amp lithium MPPT modules on eBay that would be right up my alley, as I could use a USB-PD trigger set to 20v and just plug the packs in to my macbook charger with the module inside the pack. But I can't find much info on these, the addition of "4S Lifepo4" seems like an afterthought in the ads, and I'm guessing they charge to 14.6v without the ability to configure.

Thoughts appreciated, and sorry if this is wrong forum for this kind of Q

diy solar

diy solar
Back