diy solar

diy solar

how does grid-tie work?

CaliSunHarvester

Solar Enthusiast
Hello, I do have a possibly not standard situation where I have an existing permitted grid-tied solar installation (approx from 2003, 40 panels 125W each, with 2 strings -- the inverters failed in 2016 and 2017 and were replaced). No batteries in 2003.

In spite of average daily production of 12kWh per day (long term average), I still pay $5000+ for electricity. E.g. over 900kWh in September.

So, I put together a secondary system with a Sungoldpower 10kW inverter, batteries and so far ~6.3kW panels.

The new system is not tied to the grid. My idea is to move a few circuits like fridges, lights from the 200A "utility service panel" to the new 100A "solar service panel".

The problem is that in summer, I could probably move 20 circuits and in winter not more than 5.

I see that @Kenny_ hooked up the AC-in, presumably from a 50A-240V breaker in the "utility service" panel. My understanding is that this 50A breaker will work both directions. If the inverter needs energy from the utility, it will pull. If there is excess energy, it will back-feed.

Now, since I already do have a permitted grid-tied installation, this could go undetected.

My concern is the blue-box which does the "rapid shutdown" in event of a power outage.

How is this addressed? Can I prevent my inverter (Sungoldpower 10kW model) from backfeeding? I would prefer to have power from my secondary system during an outage.. which in our neighborhood has taken as long as a week (!) last winter.

How did you do this, @Kenny_ ?

One work-around for times of bad production is to use a 10A 48V charger to charge the batteries from the grid if there's not enough sun. Very slow, inadequate.

Attachments

• Notes_231223_131345.jpg
    Notes_231223_131345.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4
The SGP10K48 does not backfeed/feed the grid. It is off-grid only.
This apparently is in error. Sorry. See below setting 34. ?‍?

I have mine set up via a 6-circuit transfer switch....may or may not install a larger (more circuits) or additional one.
I am not powering any 220 circuits at this point.

Last edited:
Also you mentioned your default values in the inverter being different from what the manual says.

I had/have the same question and talked about it in my thread but have not tried the Factory Reset to see what/why and Sungold was no help wrt this as per usual.

Also you mentioned your default values in the inverter being different from what the manual says.

I had/have the same question and talked about it in my thread but have not tried the Factory Reset to see what/why and Sungold was no help wrt this as per usual.

my understanding is that the printed version of the manual is most likely the most dated version, and the electronic PDF downloaded from the web site is the most current one.

The differences are something like 55.8V versus 56.4V for a certain threshold. I haven't compiled the list. I left these numbers alone so far.

I need to further read on the different charge modes. If I am guaranteed that this inverter will never back-feed (and create a hazard for line workers in an outage), then I will hook up a line from the "utility service" to the inverter's AC-in.

The SGP10K48 does not backfeed/feed the grid. It is off-grid only.

I have mine set up via a 6-circuit transfer switch....may or may not install a larger (more circuits) or additional one.
I am not powering any 220 circuits at this point.
That must be a firmware difference between the SRNE...
Setting 34 - if enabled can backfeed excess energy to the grid.
Screenshot_20231223-192801.jpg
I have nearly 2Mwh of solar through mine with 34 disabled; I've had zero issues.

View attachment 184809
I have nearly 2Mwh of solar through mine with 34 disabled; I've had zero issues.
I'm apparently wrong. I thought it was incapable of feeding to the grid.
Hmmm...
but at least it is disabled by default. :)

View attachment 184809

Wow New Features Added Daily! :) :) :)
I really didn't know this inverter was capable of feeding the grid!
That certainly makes the AC Grid Connection much more critical!

Back