diy solar

diy solar

How to best power a camera on DC with fluctuating inputs.

IHaveThePower

Hi
So I have a security system which I've been running at my off grid lot and I've run into a problem..
I am powering the cameras directly on dc where I've cut the ac adapter and installed fuses to protect the cameras.
The cameras don't like voltages over 12ish v and when I have them connected directly at the 12v battery they fail to run when the sun is out because the panels are producing between 17-21v
If I install a 24v step down it will run when the sun it out but when the sun sets the voltage into the converter will drop and it will stop giving 12v. [I'm assuming]
Besides going back to running them on ac is there a solution.
The converter I have on my 24v system runs at 17-40v, it works fine because the battery is 24v but on my smaller 12v setup the same converter would probably not work the same. I assume the voltage dropping to less than 17v when the sun sets will cut power on the output side.

The reason I run them on dc besides the power savings is they are away from the Inverter and its just easier to tie them directly into the battery.

Nice
Hopefully I didn't fry the camera
I noticed it's offline even though the sun is down now.
It worked fine for a couple weeks but started noticing the diesel heater throwing a battery error and realized the panels were spiking the voltage.

Silly question but the order lugs were stacked couldn't ever change how a device draws power. Seems improbable.

you think?

Related thread:
What kind of batteries are you using?
May the SCC is performing battery eqaulization.

Back