diy solar

diy solar

How to connect the "black" style JK-BMS with the short B- and P- leads?

@Skypower
That's beautiful work. If you don't mind me asking:
Those RS485 / USB pieces, Is that a CANbus to inverter connection?
How did you attach those smaller pieces to the board? They look nice all aligned like that. Just glue?
Double sided 3M tape

If you do a search on the terms "positive" and "t-class" on the forum, you'll find a bunch of people suggesting the t-class fuse should be as close to the positive terminal of the battery as possible. Also that's how my system was designed by Todd the CEO at @ncsolarelectric. Could be they are all wrong. I just threw a couple quotes from others on the forum up for @Skypower in case they were helpful for him, he's free to disregard them if he feels they are incorrect. I'm not here claiming I am any authority, just trying to help and be helped by others who know more than I do.
Yeah a lot of people want the fuse on the positive, but the way I figure, it’s close to the cells and it’s going to interrupt regardless of what side the fuse is on. It’s like a few bms’s only work on the positive side, it just has to be in circuit to work. Using the fuse holder eliminated another terminal post and another jumper in the system. If I had a pos fused, that means a jumper from the cell to it. Then a post for P- cables. But yeah traditionally, you fuse the positive. But I know it’s there and if not it’s not like you can’t see it LOL!

Yeah a lot of people want the fuse on the positive, but the way I figure, it’s close to the cells and it’s going to interrupt regardless of what side the fuse is on. It’s like a few bms’s only work on the positive side, it just has to be in circuit to work. Using the fuse holder eliminated another terminal post and another jumper in the system. If I had a pos fused, that means a jumper from the cell to it. Then a post for P- cables. But yeah traditionally, you fuse the positive. But I know it’s there and if not it’s not like you can’t see it LOL!
Sounds good! I appreciate the feedback and envy the beautiful work you did on your system.

Sounds good! I appreciate the feedback and envy the beautiful work you did on your system.
Just fyi. Any time you tap into your batteries banks for voltage monitoring, powering shunts or a dc down converter, always fuse BOTH positive and negative of the little leads as close to where you tap into it. Most devices don’t have isolated negative and with unlimited current if un fused, it’s easy snag that little wire and cut right through into something unfriendly and get glow worms.

Back