diy solar

diy solar

How to take excess power when my solar system is full and use it

MKalman

I hBave a basic Victron charge controller which allows me up to 150 V and 70 amps to charge current. Some of these warm sunny days I have my batteries charged by noon and I have around 3 to 4 hours of sunlight which could be used about 6 kW. How do I take the power that's being wasted by the charge controller and implement a switch that will take the charge and move it to like a solar water heater to keep a tank of water warm? Or how would I use that power to power a solar fridge if I purchase one? Ect? How would the wiring look like? Would it connect to the charge controller? etc?

I hBave a basic Victron charge controller which allows me up to 150 V and 70 amps to charge current. Some of these warm sunny days I have my batteries charged by noon and I have around 3 to 4 hours of sunlight which could be used about 6 kW. How do I take the power that's being wasted by the charge controller and implement a switch that will take the charge and move it to like a solar water heater to keep a tank of water warm? Or how would I use that power to power a solar fridge if I purchase one? Ect? How would the wiring look like? Would it connect to the charge controller? etc?
I'm not the expert on everything available in our world of solar appliances (48v I assume) so somebody else is likely going to answer that. I would wonder off the top how much of of your inverter load you are using for starters? If you have available inverter capacity it could be as simple as just plug something else in to the output side of your inverter. Also on the other extreme there is adding more batteries. My rough understanding of 48v appliances is that this would essentially have to be tied to the batteries (and by default) the output of the charge controller so a solar appliance may be as simple as adding a breaker from your 48v buss bars and wiring the appliance from there but I would for sure wait to see if someone more familiar with this chimes in, I may have the solar appliance principle completely wrong.

Back