diy solar

diy solar

Automated Electric Heater when battery is full.

ascroggins

I have an Eg4 18Kpv inverter with an Eg4 PowerPro battery and 12 solar panels. My cabin is completely off-grid. I've connected a generator to the gen port and haven't used the grid ports. The load ports are currently supplying power to my electric panel. However, I want to make better use of the excess power generated by the solar panels during the day. By around 11:30 AM, my batteries are fully charged, and any additional power is going to waste.

I'm interested in connecting an electric heater to a circuit that only activates when the battery is full and the solar panels are generating enough power (around 1500 watts) to run it efficiently. I've considered using the 'sell to grid' feature or AC coupling, but I'm unsure which is the better option. My idea is to activate the 'sell to grid' feature when my criteria are met, which should theoretically send electricity to the Grid port, which I can then wire to my heater.

Would this approach work, or is there a better way to achieve my goal?

Usually sell to grid will require an actual stable grid connection before the power flows.

Check this device from Aliexpress. It may do what you want, but it is designed to detect when you are exporting to the grid and turn on the heater.
$128.80 | 3kw Solar Immersion Controller Power Distributor PV Mate To Get Free Hot Water MPPT

I actually use a space heater on my 18kpv... what I do is set up a timer on the heater. I turn it on in the morning...set the timer between 4-6 depending on the weather like clouds ⛅️ for the day. Today the heater ran 6hrs and my power bank(4 EG4-LL'S) reached 97 percent. This will work great if you use this technique in a small space or micro climate. Also thermal mass will help retain heat!

Not the way people want to use them... the settings would turn of charging usin soc or voltage, but not activate a relay or circuit.
To be fair I didn't mention im also use a ecoflow smart home panel... so have more control of individual loads as it does have relays I can enable or disable.

Back