diy solar

diy solar

Electric oven

This assumes you get a lower end induction range. Cooktop can be even less. This is from the Frigidaire web site, I paid something less than $1000 for mine.

1709584231292.png

I did not get a sufficient answer online as to how the oven of an induction range cooks the food. Can someone who has one explain?

The demand on induction (which i have) is no better or worse than a standard surface unit, though it will boil water much faster if you have the right cookware.
Curious, which induction stove do you have? I had a Electrolux EI30IF40LS. It had high ratings but this model was sadly discontinued.

30" Induction Freestanding Range with Induction Cooktop and IQ-Touch™ Controls | Electrolux

BTW, is not that big of a deal fot cookware add many make it. I believe it's under 5% nickel content which is much more readily avaliable now days. You can also use cast iron cookware.

Last edited:
I can say once you get use to induction, you'll never get a regular electric cooktop again. I have the least expensive frigidare. The first time you mop up a boil over you'll be sold, just throw the towl down and run it under the pot.
💯% agree... clean up is a cinch. Heck you can clean up WHILE you are cooking & not steam/ scorch your self with a wet rag while cleaning. Not to mention the other safety aspects. Instant on, instant off, instant higher or lower temperatures.

So much safer with kids! I could have boilng water on & then place my hand flat on the stove 1/4" away from the pot...totally safe. Then there is the fact that if the pot isn't on, the heat stops instantly. And...while there is some conduction, you can remove the pot of boilng water & lightly touch the surface. And no fear of gas issues. Lastly if the pan is removed, it will automatically shut itself off eventually.

You can also put any size pot/pan on & it adapts... even a double wide griddle. Nothing boils water faster... not even gas. You can use your cast iron cookware if desired. Induction is the best.

We are currently building (slowly) our home. Right now the plan is to have a propane range side by side with the induction stove top. However, it seems that it might be cheaper to have 2 full ranges side by side.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the same thing. Non-electric back up's can also go a long way. Most of us have a 2 burner Coleman (or similar) camping stove. I have one that uses screw on 1lb propane bottles.
Living off- grid is about having a backup for your backup...period. Nothing should be off the table in my mind.

Last edited:
Back