diy solar

diy solar

Electric oven

Dwd902

I know this has been asked but I haven't found the answer without people suggesting propane. We have been living off grid about 3 years now in a small cabin and are building a house. My goal is off grid and don't want anything propane. We are building a house. It will be about 2000 square feet 2 stories. With wood boiler radiant heat and 120 volt heat pump water heater. The dryer will be heat pump also. We will have a grundfos well pump and induction range. With 3 eg4 6000xp and 4 of the power pro batteries and 26kw of solar panels. Do you think with this set up it would be possible to go off grid completely. I know add up the kw blah blah. We will be conscious of what we are running but has anyone had real world experience off grid with electric oven?

It's totally doable, with just a bit of paying attention and sounds like you know what you're up against.

30 years ago it was almost crazy to even think using a standard fridge if you wanted to live off grid but you could do it. Propane fridges were common. I even knew people that used ice boxes, as in they bought a few blocks of ice every 3 or 4 days when they went into to town. Keep in mind 2.5 kW of solar was a big system ($4/watt just for the panels).

Air conditioning was totally out of the question but ~10 years ago the price of (super efficient) mini splits dropped to where they became common and modules were all over the place for less $1/watt. Suddenly living off grid with AC became possible.

Today there is a large selection new modules delivered to your door for less than 50 cents watt, 40 cent if you shop around. All electric off grid houses are far more possible today than air conditioning off grid was 20 years ago.

Not sure where you live but most off grid places in the US have to lean on their generator during the worst ~8 weeks of winter regardless of how much solar and battery they have which you probably already know.

Last edited:
There was no mention of the brand or specifications of the oven. I've tested our conventional side by side, double electric oven and found the narrow one pulls 1500W per element but only 1 can be on at a time. The wider oven pulls 3000W per element, only 1 can be on at a time. I have seen cases where both the top, broiler and bottom, oven element are on at the same time during the pre-heat cycle to speed things up. This is at 240V.

Assuming the 3 inverters are paralleled you have 18kW available and 50kWh of battery. Seems like the oven should be fine.

Electric oven is probably quite small part of your consumption unless you cooking oven potatoes 3 times per day.

Feasibility of all this would depend totally on location. Fairbanks vs Flagstaff

... We have been living off grid about 3 years now in a small cabin and are building a house. My goal is off grid ...
Color me confused.
Do you think with this set up it would be possible to go off grid completely. I know add up the kw blah blah. We will be conscious of what we are running but has anyone had real world experience off grid with electric oven?
Hard to say but for me I rarely use my 240vAC range anymore. It is a handy place to store some skillets and trays in the oven.

We have a 100lb propane tank dedicated to just our cook stove. Give or take I think we use it about what average family of three would and we get almost a year out of it.

~22 gallons of propane in the tank x 96,000 BTU's per gallon / 3413 BTU's per kWh = 618 kWh of cooking equivalent kWh. (please check my math)

I can only guess at the efficiency of propane cooking vs electric cooking but my initial guess is 50% so I think that works out to ~300 kWh's per for electric cooking. Does anyone have an electric stove on thier Emporia? It's probably not so much about average kWh per day as would be what the highest days of the month would be.

It's 100% about the blah,blah, blah. Which is about (ahem) DEMAND. The power companies nemesis. As long as you can keep up with demand you can do it, that means lots of AMPS, from batteries and to/from the inverters. The demand on induction (which i have) is no better or worse than a standard surface unit, though it will boil water much faster if you have the right cookware. Assuming you get a range, the oven part is the same old resistive element. Most run a 40A service/breaker, so figure 32A if you light it up all the way.

My wife's oven use. She is not a huge baker. 10kwh to 20 kwh per month seems normal.
It's the surface units that get you. Oven pre-heats somewhat intensely, then just keeps warm to whatever temp. To the point none of it generally stays on that long. Maybe 10-12 minutes to boil water and cook pasta. Rarely would you have 4 units on high. Once it settles and you have the beans on the back burner on low, maybe an amp? Induction seems to use less power on average, but I doubt you'd notice. I can say once you get use to induction, you'll never get a regular electric cooktop again. I have the least expensive frigidare. The first time you mop up a boil over you'll be sold, just throw the towl down and run it under the pot.

I know this has been asked but I haven't found the answer without people suggesting propane. We have been living off grid about 3 years now in a small cabin and are building a house. My goal is off grid and don't want anything propane. We are building a house. It will be about 2000 square feet 2 stories. With wood boiler radiant heat and 120 volt heat pump water heater. The dryer will be heat pump also. We will have a grundfos well pump and induction range. With 3 eg4 6000xp and 4 of the power pro batteries and 26kw of solar panels. Do you think with this set up it would be possible to go off grid completely. I know add up the kw blah blah. We will be conscious of what we are running but has anyone had real world experience off grid with electric oven?
Tbh sounds overpowered to me. With and estimate of daily kwh usage and your location you can know it fairly easy.
I use my bosch electic oven almost everyday. But for only 20 or 30 minutes, that is only 700wh.

Last edited:
Wwe have an Amana induction stove with convection oven. I watch my power consumption on the idaho power website daily. I have not noticed a great difference on the days we use the oven. (Seldom). We have an Outback 8048A inverter I hope to be commisioning soon after taxes are taken care of. We have a 1300sq ft home all electric and even on the days of greatest consumption this inverter won't even be breathing hard. We have made changes to our home to make it more energy efficiant and will continue to do so. With your building an energy efficient home from the ground up I don't see you having a problem with power. With 18kwh of inverter I would say the amount of battery power you build will be the telling factor. Cloudy/rainy/snowy days ya know!

It's the surface units that get you. Oven pre-heats somewhat intensely, then just keeps warm to whatever temp. To the point none of it generally stays on that long. Maybe 10-12 minutes to boil water and cook pasta. Rarely would you have 4 units on high. Once it settles and you have the beans on the back burner on low, maybe an amp? Induction seems to use less power on average, but I doubt you'd notice. I can say once you get use to induction, you'll never get a regular electric cooktop again. I have the least expensive frigidare. The first time you mop up a boil over you'll be sold, just throw the towl down and run it under the pot.
I just bought her a one burner induction unit to try, bad thing is most of her cooking pots and pans won't work so she is not overly excited with that. Also by not a big baker I also meant she uses air fryer, microwave, toaster oven, pizza oven, so lots of alternatives to just the oven and burners that I monitor on the emporia. My bad for not spelling that out more.

I have a small Breville toaster oven (as well as their inverter microwave). I cook a lot of stuff in it. It's about 1/5 the capacity of a standard oven. Unless you're going to cook a turkey, or have a huge family, I see no use for a "full sized" oven. Even when I've had them (most of my life) you only mostly use a very small part of it so I think that large box is inefficient anyway. It also only takes like 4 minutes to get to 400F compared to my full sized ovens that took over 20 minutes. My meal is usually done by the time the large oven even reaches temp. Lots of wasted energy. It's 120v and the heating elements just pop in/out without having to take anything apart.

I just bought her a one burner induction unit to try, bad thing is most of her cooking pots and pans won't work so she is not overly excited with that. Also by not a big baker I also meant she uses air fryer, microwave, toaster oven, pizza oven, so lots of alternatives to just the oven and burners that I monitor on the emporia. My bad for not spelling that out more.
We went to Wal Mart, though generally I stay away from there. Bought Thyme and Table cookware golden edition cookware. Love them. Once you know where to set your cooktop settings they are great. Eggs don't stick to them. Be sure to use rubber utensils with them though.

About right for the inverters. Not enough on the solar and battery, but location matters for sure. Plus add at least a small generator even if it's just in case.
I think you would be more comfortable with 45kw solar and 100kwh or more of battery.

It says 3840 watts 20 amps and 240volt. I live in New Hampshire and just wanted real world experience with ovens off grid. While building I'd rather built solar wise what we need then find out I need more. Thank you all who were helpful. Our off grid situation is a 12 volt system and we have a electric fridge, freezer, and ceiling fan with lights. Since we've been like that for 3 years we don't really have an idea of house usage. That's why I wanted real world experience from people. Thanks again.

Back