diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on this solar kit

MaineHomesteader

Hey all,

We are going to be setting up an off grid system. I’m a novice so any help is greatly appreciated. We are building a 1440sqft house. We will need to run a well pump (Grundfos 5-SQ-320) 240v. The pump will be used to pump into a cistern every few weeks so there won’t be a pressure tank. Other than that our loads will be fridge, chest freezer, led lights, food processor (probably once or twice a month) and charging phones and laptops. I might be missing some other items but this is the basic list.

I know most folks don’t recommend going with solar kits because it’s generally cheaper to buy everything individually. However I’m curious about this kit from Current Connected:

Does this look good? What would you change in this kit? I’m not familiar with solar panel brands, any thoughts on those?

I’m really interested in the PowerPro battery because it’s heated and we’re in a cold climate. I’m thinking I might want to add another battery.

Thanks in advance!

We are going to be setting up an off grid system. I’m a novice so any help is greatly appreciated. We are building a 1440sqft house. We will need to run a well pump (Grundfos 5-SQ-320) 240v. The pump will be used to pump into a cistern every few weeks so there won’t be a pressure tank. Other than that our loads will be fridge, chest freezer, led lights, food processor (probably once or twice a month) and charging phones and laptops. I might be missing some other items but this is the basic list.
There are others on here with a lot of experience of off-grid (I am grid-tied), but my initial thoughts is that looks like a small system to be off-grid with. Have you done a detailed energy audit?

I am thinking you haven't mentioned space heating, cooking or laundry. How will you be powering the oven, kettle, microware, air fryer, washing machine, tumble dryer etc. - those are the larger consumers of electricity IMHO.

And how many rainy days might you get in a row in Maine? That will determine likely storage needs and whether you will need a backup generator.

We are working on figuring out usage. We live with two other people right now so it’s difficult to calculate our actual use.

We are going to use a wood cook stove for cooking and heating. No microwave or other electric kitchen appliances. Washing is done by hand and line dried.

Two other items I forgot to add though- bath and kitchen fans that run as needed.

Hey all,

I know most folks don’t recommend going with solar kits because it’s generally cheaper to buy everything individually. However I’m curious about this kit from Current Connected:

Does this look good? What would you change in this kit? I’m not familiar with solar panel brands, any thoughts on those?

I’m really interested in the PowerPro battery because it’s heated and we’re in a cold climate. I’m thinking I might want to add another battery.

Thanks in advance!
Seems like a decent kit. Certainly with 18 X 415w panels (7470w) and the 6000w split phase inverter (3000w per phase) you ahve enough to run quite a few loads in a home. The 280ah 48vDC battery (~14kWh) gives enough storage for a day or more depending on house loads and it can be added to as time goes by.

The biggest potential issue I can see is large loads, if you run any, or a bunch of smaller loads adding up since 6000w/240v = 25a So likely you will have to practice load management if you go this route.

If you are doing ground mounts with rails, it adds more mounting costs to use smaller panels and I would go with 480+.

If you are going to use those ballast mounts and those fit well on that it looks like a decent kit.

One option for reducing your system loads would be to switch to a dedicated DC water pump for the well with separate PV panels. May not be an option depending on how deep your well is and other details, but in general a DC well pump will have much lower starting requirements than a traditional AC one.

Back