diy solar

diy solar

6000XP or 18kpv Off Grid Setup and Generator Questions

MaineHomesteader

I’ve seen a few posts on this in the forum but still can’t really make up my mind. We will be off grid and will be building a solar shed to house our setup. I think we want to go with PowerPro battery (one to start and probably add another later on) because they are heated. I’m also hoping to have around 8000w or so of panels. My big concern is which inverter to go with. The 6000XP says it only operates down to 32 degrees F. Even if our solar shed is insulated there may be an off chance that it gets colder than that. I really don’t want to have to run a heater in there either. The other concern is dust, I know the 6000XPs are pretty open and while we’ll try our best to keep the shed closed up, there’s a chance pollen and dust could end up in there. Which brings me to the 18kpv. Obviously it’s quite a bit more costly but it’s outdoor rated (and the warranty is better).

I would be willing to look into other brands that do well in cold climates too. I’ve been looking at Victron but having to buy all the other accessories to make the system functional is a bit irritating. I’ve also looked at Midnite, it seems like they also have some accessories but maybe not as bad as Victron. I also wonder about battery compatibility. Are there any inverters that wouldn’t be compatible with EG4 PowerPro?

Also another consideration. Do other companies allow for 120v charging with a generator? I have a 120v inverter generator and a 240v normal generator both are 4.3kw. I know there are small for battery charging but I really don’t want to buy another bigger generator. I would rather run the inverter generator because it’s more fuel efficient and quieter. I was eyeing the EG4 chargeverter which I could use for charging at 120v with a different plug. But would this work with non-EG4 systems?

Last edited:
The protocols applicable to the WallMount battery are easily accessible in the manual, which I'll also provide the page for here. Regarding the generator input on the 6kXP/18kPV, it necessitates a split-phase 240v connection. However, the chargeverter serves as a viable workaround, enabling its use with various inverter types by connecting to an external bus for battery charging. The suitability of the 6kXP for indoor use largely depends on the dustiness of the environment, given its IP20 rating. In most cases we see that it works well. However, if this was in an environment with a lot of sawdust, I could see this being an issue.

1711037254658.png

I don't know much about this but from watching the videos Will puts out and from what other have said you pay the money and get the good stuff that is designed for what you are doing with the best warranty... This is from a week of me reading and learning on this site. I would buy an 18 right now if it was portable but it is not. If they made a 6000 that was rated outdoor and had a 10 year warranty and was $2500 instead of 1500 I would have already bought it. E4G technical told me today if there is any sign the unit has been exposed to the elements it voids the warranty right then and there end of story where as the 18 will be covered. They lead me to believe the 18 is a much better made unit but what do I know...

Back