diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP setup questions.

Not sure if this is right spot to ask, but can you use a 120 volt generator with an EG4 6000XP. I have Kubota driven 12,500 watt generator with one wiring at 120 volts, 60 amps. Will this work or do I need 240 volts? Thanks

A 120/240v generator would be needed.

Not sure if this is right spot to ask, but can you use a 120 volt generator with an EG4 6000XP. I have Kubota driven 12,500 watt generator with one wiring at 120 volts, 60 amps. Will this work or do I need 240 volts? Thanks
Hello, no it will not work with 120v.

Hello, no it will not work with 120v.
Yep - not only does it require a split phase 240v generator, generally it requires the more expensive inverter generators as it requires a THD <3% which for the most part requires an inverter generator. Most other generators have a THD north of 20%. The cheapest option for you would be to get the chargverter for charging with your existing generator.

The EG4 Chargeverter works even with small inverters. You can set the amperage very low on start up and then just manually walk up the amps in little steps until you get it where you want it. for my Champion 4500 generator . I start at 30 amps and then slowly walk it up to 50amps in 5-10 amp increments. it only takes a minute. It powers my house and charges 440 amp-Hours worth of batteries from about 10%-100% in about 8-10hrs or so

Last edited:
So, because the EG4 Chargeverters were on back order I opted for a backup inverter. The 3000 EHV-48, which can accept 120V AC input from a generator. What I'm struggling with now is I can't get the EHV to charge the Powerpro..... sigh...

So, because the EG4 Chargeverters were on back order I opted for a backup inverter. The 3000 EHV-48, which can accept 120V AC input from a generator. What I'm struggling with now is I can't get the EHV to charge the Powerpro..... sigh...
Why?

I'm going to assume you mean why choose another inverter over the Chargeverter?...
Well, the Chargeverter was about $400 at the time (now $480 updated model I see) but the EG4 3000EHV-48 was only $750 (now $675 - a steal.)
Buying the inverter gives me the ability to pick up another solar string, have a small backup inverter, and it accepts 120V power from the generator. I just get so much more for the money - it's not the best "charging" inverter but it gets the job done since this is a rare backup function for the off-grid setup.

Just wanted to confirm if the PowerPro battery is charging now.

Can this inverter be wired from a 240v generator just two hots and a ground, no neutral?

I was referring to the 6000xp, sorry for the confusion.
Ok take 2.

Assuming the inverter has bonding enabled and the generator is bonded, it would work but it wouldn't be accepted or allowed by NEC.

Back