diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP setup questions.

Magellan

Just bought the new EG4 6000XP inverter to pair with an EG 14.3Kwh PowerPro battery.

My setup is completely off grid - Solar array of 7.8KW, Inverter, Battery, 120V Suitcase Inv/Generator, and maybe a Chargeverter

This setup is to power an RV (120V 30Amp) permanently parked on some remote property. Most of the time Solar/Battery combo should be able to keep up with the RV needs. The suitcase generator is for backup to fill up the battery when sunlight is an issue or for other downtime. Here are my issues/questions:

1. I don't really have a need for 240V power - the 6000XP is rated for 6000watts which at 120V is 25Amps on each hot leg for a total of 50Amps of 120V power, but it seems I can only pull 25Amps on a single circuit. How do I get 30Amps at 120? [[ 50Amps at 120 = 25Amps at 240 ]]
- Looking at setting 21 seems like I might be able to get both legs in the same phase - will that give me 50A at 120 (basically a jumper between L1&L2- seems sketchy)?

2. I want to use the inverter "generator" input to top off the batteries when necessary using a small 120V, 2500watt (running) suitcase inverter/generator. Again the 6000XP is set up for 240 - the lines from the generator to the inverter are L1, L2, N, Ground. How do I hook up a 120V input to that?
- I'm considering a EG4 Chargeverter if this won't work, and just keep the battery charging business away from the inverter, but I understand EG4's Chargeverter doesn't have the ramp up feature - so worried about overwhelming a small generator...

3. I can't find any load priority setting on the inverter. IF I have the suitcase generator feeding through the inverter I want the load priority to be (S)olar, (B)attery, (G)enerator. In other words (because the generator is small) I don't want the generator to take all the loads on it's own, I really only want it feeding the battery.

My understanding is that small generators produce "dirty" power.
By having the generator power the Chargeverter and that charge the batteries, your inverter is getting "clean" power.
Then your settings only are solar then battery.

I too am considering the purchase purchasing the 6000XP . I have gone through my owner's manual in the attempt to get some clarification on "dirty" and "small." I have a $600 gasoline generator on wheels that I would definitely classify as small and dirty. I would never hook this up to 6000xp.

I also have a 8kW Generac Guardian that runs on propane. I would have liked to have made the assumption that a $2000 generator is compatible & clean for the GEN Input of the 6000XP, but I would have been wrong. I called Generac, and asked if my model would be compatible and of course, they will not provide advice on compatibility with other manufacturers equipment. (Standard call center matrix answer)

After a little more digging, the question one needs to ask, is NOT is my generator "dirty" or is it an "inverter style gen" , but rather, what is the Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) of my cheap or expensive generator that I want to connect. I called Generac again, and the help line operator could not have been more helpful. Generac Generators are all designed to have less than < 5% THD. (this data is not listed in the owner's manual). If anyone has any additional information on this or contrary information that would be most appreciated.

Bottom line, if you want to connect a Generac Home Backup Gen to your 6000XP, connect your generator via the EG4 Chargeverter. This is spelled out on the EG4 6000XP Installation Manual, page 17, THD of your generator must be < 3%. The same page also recommends a back up generator be > 10kW.

My takeaway form all of this is, what is the THD of your generator you want to hook up, not if you have an "Inverter Style Generator or how much you paid for your generator to determine how "dirty" is.

Hope that helps someone out or saves someone some time.

Last edited:
I have an Enphase system, so I looked at their list of compatible generators (which I assume are "clean").
Look for Enphase-Generator-Support-Technical-Brief

Just bought the new EG4 6000XP inverter to pair with an EG 14.3Kwh PowerPro battery.

My setup is completely off grid - Solar array of 7.8KW, Inverter, Battery, 120V Suitcase Inv/Generator, and maybe a Chargeverter

This setup is to power an RV (120V 30Amp) permanently parked on some remote property. Most of the time Solar/Battery combo should be able to keep up with the RV needs. The suitcase generator is for backup to fill up the battery when sunlight is an issue or for other downtime. Here are my issues/questions:

1. I don't really have a need for 240V power - the 6000XP is rated for 6000watts which at 120V is 25Amps on each hot leg for a total of 50Amps of 120V power, but it seems I can only pull 25Amps on a single circuit. How do I get 30Amps at 120? [[ 50Amps at 120 = 25Amps at 240 ]]
- Looking at setting 21 seems like I might be able to get both legs in the same phase - will that give me 50A at 120 (basically a jumper between L1&L2- seems sketchy)?

2. I want to use the inverter "generator" input to top off the batteries when necessary using a small 120V, 2500watt (running) suitcase inverter/generator. Again the 6000XP is set up for 240 - the lines from the generator to the inverter are L1, L2, N, Ground. How do I hook up a 120V input to that?
- I'm considering a EG4 Chargeverter if this won't work, and just keep the battery charging business away from the inverter, but I understand EG4's Chargeverter doesn't have the ramp up feature - so worried about overwhelming a small generator...

3. I can't find any load priority setting on the inverter. IF I have the suitcase generator feeding through the inverter I want the load priority to be (S)olar, (B)attery, (G)enerator. In other words (because the generator is small) I don't want the generator to take all the loads on it's own, I really only want it feeding the battery.
  1. I believe the only ways to get more than 25 amps on a 120V circuit would be to either add a second 6000XP so you would have 50 amps available on both legs, or possibly a load-balancing autotransformer would work - effectively taking some of the load capacity from both legs.

2. To run off a 120V generator, you would have to use an autotransformer to convert the 120V to split phase 240V. It also requires a generator with a total harmonic distortion of <3% which my understanding pretty well requires an inverter generator. Also, 2500 watts is way less power than the manual recommends. For a single 6000XP they're recommending a generator >10kW. The chargeverter is probably your only viable option without upgrading your generator. I know the chargeverter can be configured to limit the draw to an appropriate level for your particular generator.

3. Yeah the 6000XP doesn't really have load priority settings like the Voltronic-based ones do. It's appropriate to say it's default mode is SBU. If you want it to charge from AC/generator, or go to bypass mode, etc., you can really only do those with the AC and generator charging thresholds and the discharge settings. For example, with a combination of enabling the battery ECO mode and setting the On Grid EOD SOC% to 20%, my unit runs off solar and battery unless the batteries get down to 20% - then it switches to bypass mode, completely powering the loads from the grid input only, and charges the batteries from solar only until the batteries get to 30% when it switches back to using the inverter and stops pulling anything from the grid input and effectively goes back to SBU mode. Plenty of other ways to configure it of course.

Last edited:
I sent SS an email a couple of days ago asking about a 120v generator to feed the 6000xp. No response...

Jarrett, question. Does EG4 reccomend a 20kw+ genny for two XP's simply because they are afraid people would try and run them on a cheap 5000kw/240vac unit while trying to power house loads as well, that would have no where near enough output to support one XP much less two XP's demand and while under load the power would dip/sag and get so dirty to the point where the XP would fault out?

What about a 12kw unit that has no house loads on it and keeping the charging current demand of the XP's load to a reasonable limit. Like 25-30 amps. Would this damage the XP's?

I have also been told that manufacturers say dont use a generator unless its so big to keep problems and calls to the manufacture down regarding faults, etc. As well I have heard that a genny of insufficient power usually only trips the inverter into fault and that no dmage will occour. It will either take it, or it wont.

Please review this thread and offe your opinion(s).

Last edited:
Jarrett, question. Does EG4 reccomend a 20kw+ genny for two XP's simply because they are afraid people would try and run them on a cheap 5000kw/240vac unit while trying to power house loads as well, that would have no where near enough output to support one XP much less two XP's demand and while under load the power would dip/sag and get so dirty to the point where the XP would fault out?

What about a 12kw unit that has no house loads on it and keeping the charging current demand of the XP's load to a reasonable limit. Like 25-30 amps. Would this damage the XP's?

I have also been told that manufacturers say dont use a generator unless its so big to keep problems and calls to the manufacture down regarding faults, etc. As well I have heard that a genny of insufficient power usually only trips the inverter into fault and that no dmage will occour. It will either take it, or it wont.

Come back in a day or two. You will get a different answer.

Hello my dongle is stuck on one solid light one flashing i can see its connected to my router the
S/N BJ35070367
PIn J24SC its only working with local when you try signing on using the web its all blank

Hello my dongle is stuck on one solid light one flashing i can see its connected to my router the
S/N BJ35070367
PIn J24SC its only working with local when you try signing on using the web its all blank
Call or msg eg4 or SS and ask them to check your dongle serial is assigned to EG4s server.

As long as the input amperage is less than 35 amps and the THD is <3% the 6000XP should be fine. However, if loads were ever applied and exceeded the generators output, issues could occur.

Not sure if this is right spot to ask, but can you use a 120 volt generator with an EG4 6000XP. I have Kubota driven 12,500 watt generator with one wiring at 120 volts, 60 amps. Will this work or do I need 240 volts? Thanks

Back