diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP +solar + 10amp grid

lowerpower

I want to run an EG4 6000xp to power a tiny home. I'll have at least 2K solar, 5-10kwh of batteries, and up to 10amp split phase grid (10 amp per leg)

Is it possible to set the EG4 to charge on grid but limit to 10A? I'd like to priority Solar, then grid to charge, but run the tiny home off the inverter only as I need the 20A legs in the tiny home.

FYI 10A comes from the location has #10 feeding from the main house panel, but it is a long distance and it is calculated for max 10A without critical voltage loss. I want to use the Inverter+solar+batteries+max10A grid

Is this possible with the EG46000xp? Was not obvious for me reading the documentation.

Is there a better way to go than the EG46000xp?

Thanks,

Mike

Is it possible to set the EG4 to charge on grid but limit to 10A? I'd like to priority Solar, then grid to charge, but run the tiny home off the inverter only as I need the 20A legs in the tiny home.
Yes you can do all that with the 6000XP. The charge limit is configurable.

For running the loads I have mine running like this: when the batteries drop to 20% the loads transfer to the grid connection and only the solar charges the batteries until they get above 30% then the loads switch back to the inverter. This is all handled by the 6000XP.

If possible you might want to get a little more solar, maybe 4kW. And I'd lean more towards 10kW for the batteries.

I want to run an EG4 6000xp to power a tiny home. I'll have at least 2K solar, 5-10kwh of batteries, and up to 10amp split phase grid (10 amp per leg)

FYI 10A comes from the location has #10 feeding from the main house panel, but it is a long distance and it is calculated for max 10A without critical voltage loss. I want to use the Inverter+solar+batteries+max10A grid

Is this possible with the EG46000xp? Was not obvious for me reading the documentation.

Is there a better way to go than the EG46000xp?

Thanks,

Mike

The AC charge current is configurable through the monitor app or website. 1711642487805.png

The AC charge current is configurable through the monitor app or website. View attachment 205320
I’m pretty sure the AC charge current setting is actually referring to DC amps going to charge the batteries from the grid input - so if you want to limit it to 10 amps on the AC side you’ll need to do some math. Should be around 45 amps for that setting to limit the AC grid input for charging to 10 amps.

@EG4_Jared - separate question- I don’t see a way to limit the bypass current - is that something that might come in the future or is the hardware just not capable of that?

I’m pretty sure the AC charge current setting is actually referring to DC amps going to charge the batteries from the grid input - so if you want to limit it to 10 amps on the AC side you’ll need to do some math. Should be around 45 amps for that setting to limit the AC grid input for charging to 10 amps.

@EG4_Jared - separate question- I don’t see a way to limit the bypass current - is that something that might come in the future or is the hardware just not capable of that?

Currently, I don't believe this is available. However, I will check with our engineering team to see if this is a future possibility.

FWIW I tried doing this with a Schneider XW and a 20A circuit for input, and even with the input limiter setting configured to 16A, it wasn't reliable enough for comfort. I would see it straying over the limit sometimes.

I ended up using the 20A input to run a charger based DC input instead.

Thanks all for the input. Still looks like I will have to just try it and see if it works for me.

Follow up related question: Since I have a possible voltage drop problem if I draw to much current, will the 6000XP work or protect itself if the grid voltage drops to much?

thanks

Yes you can do all that with the 6000XP. The charge limit is configurable.

For running the loads I have mine running like this: when the batteries drop to 20% the loads transfer to the grid connection and only the solar charges the batteries until they get above 30% then the loads switch back to the inverter. This is all handled by the 6000XP.

If possible you might want to get a little more solar, maybe 4kW. And I'd lean more towards 10kW for the batteries.

Back