diy solar

diy solar

Dual EG4 6000XP Wiring (please review)

Another issue is you will have tied your off grid inverters to the grid which they are not rated for. The power company will definitely take issue. If the grid goes down you will back feed the grid.
As already stated, the inverters are fed from the grid via their AC input -- at no point will they backfeed the grid.

What he says in post #8 leads me to believe that bypass block doesn't actually exist. As drawn it wouldn't but his reply indicates something else.Now that I re-read it it seems he believes the inverters will just switch to grid on overload but I'm thinking they just shutdown with a fault. So your right as long as the bypass is switched to inverter it shouldn't back feed.
The 100A bypass in the diagram is a physically separated bypass switch that determines which AC source feeds the Loads panel -- this could be EITHER the AC Output from from the [combined] inverters (via 100A breaker in the combiner panel) OR the grid (via 100A breaker in the main panel)....never both.

I see that now. However I'm afraid the inverters will not switch to grid when overloaded. The error and warning list in the manual indicate errors for overloads. It would be nice if they would. I've already installed a separate critical loads panel and will be moving select circuits to it so theoretically I should never overload.

Well, that's a different story. They are supposed to fail-to-grid (if wired/configured properly) when the load demand is > 25A (per). My expectation is they will function as designed (as rarely as I expect it to need it to). Not sure if any others have tested and confirmed the functionality, but there are many references to that being the case.

Unfortunately the 6000XP cannot provide grid assistance but will completely switch over to grid pass-through. I noticed several of the up-and-coming AIO's have that capability. I'm hopeful that will come in a future firmware update🤞(not likely, but hopeful).

EDIT: the errors in the manual are valid if there is no grid AC to pass through when demand is > 25A (or > 50A w/grid). In either case, the inverters will/should go into overload protection as expected.

Last edited:
Every overload test that I've conducted resulted in the inverter switching to grid bypass. Inverter will stay in bypass until the load drops below either 90% or 95%

As drawn it shows a 100A bypass. It could just be a 100a breaker in his main panel with a generator interlock. That's what I'm doing in my critical load panel.
*Edit* I didn't see that there had been a handful of replies, and someone already pointed out it was a transfer switch. Removed my duplicate (and late) reply.

It sounds like it should work for you. So I assume it just logs an overload error? I must have missed those threads you pointed out. What's your time frame for completion? If all this works as dedicated I may just run one 6000xp and keep the second in reserve.

Time will tell :)

I was hoping to have it up and running already, but work/life/diy balance has been quite skewed. Install location is at my cabin 2.5hrs away, which makes it even more challenging. My goal is to have initial tests going in the next month or so.

Hi diy'ers. I have used much of what I've picked up on a number of different threads (mostly: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6000xp-ac-out-load-wiring.73268/) to come up with a wiring diagram that I think will work for my off-grid setup in a remote cabin:

- 2 x EG4 6000XP, off-grid with grid backup
- Combined for maximum AC output (50A) + pass-through (100A)
- Support for all-grid bypass (emergency, maintenance, etc.)
- Fall back to grid AC only when absolutely necessary
- N/G bond disabled at each inverter
- N/G bond ONLY at main panel
- 10X Solarever 455W PV (going to 20X)
- 5X (25kwh) EG4-LLv2

View attachment 193596

Some questions:

- does this look reasonable / safe?
- should all the grounds be home-run to the main panel (vs. next hop)?
- are the breakers correctly sized to support max inverter AC output and grid pass-through?
- anything else?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...and thanks to all that have already contributed to get me to this point.
What product are you using for the combiner panel?

The 6000xp is an offgrid inverter. the Grid connection only draws power from the grid, it does not supply power to the grid. At least, as long as it's wired up correctly. The power company doesn't know or care about it's existence. To them, it's just another electrical appliance drawing power from them.
Do you know if power companies require a solar permit then for an inverter like the 6000xp if connected to grid power?

Do you know if power companies require a solar permit then for an inverter like the 6000xp if connected to grid power?
No permit needed when you’re not using a system that feeds power back to the grid 😎. To them the 6000xp is just like any other appliance when it’s drawing power.

Hi diy'ers. I have used much of what I've picked up on a number of different threads (mostly: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6000xp-ac-out-load-wiring.73268/) to come up with a wiring diagram that I think will work for my off-grid setup in a remote cabin:

- 2 x EG4 6000XP, off-grid with grid backup
- Combined for maximum AC output (50A) + pass-through (100A)
- Support for all-grid bypass (emergency, maintenance, etc.)
- Fall back to grid AC only when absolutely necessary
- N/G bond disabled at each inverter
- N/G bond ONLY at main panel
- 10X Solarever 455W PV (going to 20X)
- 5X (25kwh) EG4-LLv2

View attachment 193596

Some questions:

- does this look reasonable / safe?
- should all the grounds be home-run to the main panel (vs. next hop)?
- are the breakers correctly sized to support max inverter AC output and grid pass-through?
- anything else?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...and thanks to all that have already contributed to get me to this point.
I'm planning to use a similar wiring scheme with a couple of modifications. I'm curious your thoughts.

The main change will be eliminating the 100 amp bypass and wiring the combiner panel directly to the loads panel and wiring the main panel with a 200 amp breaker and accordingly sized wire to the loads panel. I plan to use an interlock breaker to act as a manual transfer switch between the 100amp line from the combiner panel and the 200 amp line from the main panel. The main reason that I'm using an interlock breaker is because a 200 amp transfer switch is very expensive - compared to a 100amp switch - and I'd like to have the possibility of having the full 200 amp service to my loads panel should I need it for any reason.

I think that'll work just fine. One of my goals was to make it as novice-friendly as possible. This is a remote location and someone other than myself may need to switch from PV to grid. 200A grid bypass would be nice, but I'd rather avoid anyone having to open a breaker and interlock.

If I find myself needing 200A more than on a rare occasion, I'll likely invest in the 200A switch (or do as you're doing).

If you ever do decide to make the switch (or if anyone reading is planning to do something similar), I did a little research on it and was able to find this.

It allows you to transfer the entire 200 amp service with two hot leads and provides a tie-in for your neutral.

Back