diy solar

diy solar

6000XP/6500EX Generator terminals, good for? Beating a dead horse here...

Onehand

Outside of $2000 - $5000 inverter generator with low THD, (like less than 2 - 3%) what else can you connect to these inverters gen terminals?

I eluded to this in another post a while ago. Since I back feed the house mains with the generator, what I would like to do is run the inverter on grid/solar when power is available, if the grid fails, lock it out and feed the AC inputs on the inverter from the house mains being back fed by the generator, (if needed) using the same mains breakers already feeding the inverter.

Wonder if the AC inputs are any more forgiving with the ripple/THD than the gen circuit?

I am leary of doing this since I dont know how clean the power on the 12kw generator is and I don't want to cook anything in the inverters. In other words I'm not interested in trying it to "see" if it works at the risk of smoke.

The house load on the generator would be quite low, like 1000-1500 watts, if that. The rest would be available for the inverter and I could throttle the charging/bypass amperage but this still says nothing of the quality of the power. Guess I need to find a way to check the THD on this genset but from the vids I have seen, nothing out there is anywhere near the max numbers of the inverters spec. This plus, trying to determine THD is a bit of a hat trick, allot of variables and I dont know if any results would be accurate.

Wonder what EG4_jarrett on this forum would think?

Last edited:
So called dirty power from generators generally does not blow things up, it's just that the inverter will not accept it mainly because it's out of frequency range.

How do I use this jarrett ink? Start a converstion? Is that a pm or does it start a thread?

Adding to this, I dont see many people talking about their gen connections on this forum. Makes me wonder how many people do connect their gens directy to inverters?

I have worked with THD in high end tube audio gear, using waveforms to trouble shoot coupling and audio path issues. This is DC though so I have no clue how THD pertains to AC and how it performs when other draws are on the line. For instance, VFD's play hell on waveform deteroriation on AC. Then there is voltage and current THD. Which are they referring to?

The generator I have is a pretty high end unit, originally costing around 12k. Got it at a much reduced cost, like 1/4 of that, when a tornado ripped a roof off the warehouse and it suffered a couple of scratches. It is microprocessor controlled with many programmable parmeters and I believe it is brushless unit however I cant find any specs on it except whats in the manual and Elliott no longer produces it. So...

Last edited:
It's just to call them to the thread.
When they come on line.
Did you're simply posting his name above "call him to the thread", or do I have to do something with his name to summon him?

I still have some questions for Jarrett and I was fortunate to run into a guy who serviced these units and got allot of good informtion. Basically he said just dont load the gen up with a bunch of high current loads and dirty appliances that create more dirt on the line, like flourescent lamp banks, high load on again off again loads, VFD's, etc and keep the house loads down to leave enough headroom for the inverter draw. Sounds reasonable and what quattrohead was eluding to.

I imagine power would get quite nasty running everything at the bleading edge, trying to use half of the gen output to power house loads and whats left to charge batts at a high rate, with any generator, except for possibly an HO inverter.

I tagged them so that they will get a notification to come here. Nothing else needs to be done.

Outside of $2000 - $5000 inverter generator with low THD, (like less than 2 - 3%) what else can you connect to these inverters gen terminals?

I eluded to this in another post a while ago. Since I back feed the house mains with the generator, what I would like to do is run the inverter on grid/solar when power is available, if the grid fails, lock it out and feed the AC inputs on the inverter from the house mains being back fed by the generator, (if needed) using the same mains breakers already feeding the inverter.

Wonder if the AC inputs are any more forgiving with the ripple/THD than the gen circuit?

I am leary of doing this since I dont know how clean the power on the 12kw generator is and I don't want to cook anything in the inverters. In other words I'm not interested in trying it to "see" if it works at the risk of smoke.

The house load on the generator would be quite low, like 1000-1500 watts, if that. The rest would be available for the inverter and I could throttle the charging/bypass amperage but this still says nothing of the quality of the power. Guess I need to find a way to check the THD on this genset but from the vids I have seen, nothing out there is anywhere near the max numbers of the inverters spec. This plus, trying to determine THD is a bit of a hat trick, allot of variables and I dont know if any results would be accurate.

Wonder what EG4_jarrett on this forum would think?
I use a Champion 7,000 watt (running) open frame "inverter" generator. With my 6000XP.

Back