diy solar

diy solar

Mains panel backfed by generator while 6000XP tied into mains?

Onehand

Guess this aint gonna fly, is it? Unless THD is below xx%. My plan "was" to move all 120vac loads to solar/inverter/battery, while keeping two 240VAC loads, range and dryer, on the mains since they are rarely used. Then if there is a mains power failure, manually fire the genny up and let the inverters supply/charge from the power coming into their mains inputs being fed by the genny. NOTE: Not using the XP's gen inputs, but using the AC inputs, straight from the mains panel being fed by the generator.

Anyway, wondering if these new 6000XP's are better at handeling dirty power than its predecessor's, which I believe was around 2% THD or less. If someone has the actual fugure, it sure would be appresiated...

I have a 12.5 kw diesel 3600rpm genny that is a very high quality unit that I assume puts out very clean power. Really wont know how clean till I scope it to see if the allowable THD is below the max for these inverters to prevent damage.

Thoughrs?

Last edited:
So if the grid goes down, the 120 loads would run off battery.
If the batteries got low, you would disconnect from the grid by an interlock device, start the generator.
The gen would recharge your batteries and run any 240v devices.

is that correct?

Ya, I can do that as a backup option. Wondering what people are connecting to the genny inputs on the 6000XP's? Feeds from generators, can the gen input on these XP's handle little 4-6kw gens w/ dirty power? Or do they still have the input limitations as the 6500xex?

Still doesn't answer whether the AC input on the XP's can handle it.

Guess these are questions for EG4.

I don't see any problem with what you want to do.
It seems like you have a good quality generator.
Try it, you can always add a Chargeverter if necessary.

Back