diy solar

diy solar

Advice for wiring split-phase Growatts with generator and mains

Madcaroler

Hello. I have two SPF3000TL units for an emergency power system split-phase configuration. Attached is a picture of the current set up: a sub-panel fed by either generator or grid power. I can't determine where the Growatt units should be placed for this to operate correctly. The simplest solution I can think of is separating the switch and the loads and putting the inverters between the output of the switch and the loads. What do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-211632.png
    Screenshot_20220615-211632.png
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 15
I put in a subpanel with dual input 240v breakers. One for Line, one for inverter output. I can manual switch the subpanel over to "emergency". I added a generator input socket to feed the AC input of the Growatts. I also put in a grid AC line socket so I can feed the grid over the the gen input, if I want to (generator cord as a jumper).

I started out with the grid on the AC input of the Growatt and ran the Growatt in UPS mode but it seemed to be always taking or putting power into the battery for the 60 watts idle consumption. So I wired it as described above.

My emergency array is large enough I can run an air conditioner in the garage off of it. I am thinking of being able to have another panel that just for Inverter "free power" output that I can tap into while leaving my emergency loads on the grid.

I put in a subpanel with dual input 240v breakers. One for Line, one for inverter output. I can manual switch the subpanel over to "emergency". I added a generator input socket to feed the AC input of the Growatts. I also put in a grid AC line socket so I can feed the grid over the the gen input, if I want to (generator cord as a jumper).

I started out with the grid on the AC input of the Growatt and ran the Growatt in UPS mode but it seemed to be always taking or putting power into the battery for the 60 watts idle consumption. So I wired it as described above.

My emergency array is large enough I can run an air conditioner in the garage off of it. I am thinking of being able to have another panel that just for Inverter "free power" output that I can tap into while leaving my emergency loads on the grid.
So two double-pole breakers?

I think that you have the right idea, putting the inverter after the transfer switch and before the loads.
This gives you all available options.

So two double-pole breakers?
This is what I have, Square-D QO48M60DSGP. Home Depot and other places have it.

My inverter setup is on the same garage wall as my main panel. I was able to pull critical circuit wiring back toward the subpanel, which worked out great with all wires being longer than needed.

The 2 feed breakers and interlock are included. You can see I have one 240v circuit. I had to buy the connecting pin that ties the breakers together for 2 pole breaker of the thin type. I have six 120v, 15a circuits and one 240v, 15a circuit.

1655382140301.png

Hello. I have two SPF3000TL units for an emergency power system split-phase configuration. Attached is a picture of the current set up: a sub-panel fed by either generator or grid power. I can't determine where the Growatt units should be placed for this to operate correctly. The simplest solution I can think of is separating the switch and the loads and putting the inverters between the output of the switch and the loads. What do?
Sorry, I didn't study your photo (previously). Did you figure out what to do? Looks like you have a good panel if those two top breakers are tied together so only one can be on at a time,

Back