diy solar

diy solar

Split-phase Growatts with single phase generator?

Madcaroler

Good morning everyone, my two Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM's are working properly providing split phase to critical loads however I'd like to replace the existing split-phase generator with a single phase inverter generator. How would I wire it? L1 to L1 and leave L2 disconnected? I'm stumped.20221024_093728.jpg

Going through your manual, what I'm seeing is that each unit is single-phase, and when paralleled they can produce split-phase. You already know this of course. What the manual displays is that AC input is also split-phase. What MIGHT be possible is wiring a single-phase 120V generator only through L1 and N only? It appears that the manual never specifically mentions whether or not this is possible? Most likely you need to talk specifically with a Growatt engineer to find out if this is doable? Maybe perhaps it can work if one inverter is shut off, and it functions only as a single inverter putting out only 120VAC.

Perhaps one important question that needs to be asked is why you want to switch in the first place. I'm of the general inpression that split-phase generators are more or less of generally higher output, and maybe also generally better quality, so why is it important to you to switch from split-phase to single phase.
1666642534440.png

Going through your manual, what I'm seeing is that each unit is single-phase, and when paralleled they can produce split-phase. You already know this of course. What the manual displays is that AC input is also split-phase. What MIGHT be possible is wiring a single-phase 120V generator only through L1 and N only? It appears that the manual never specifically mentions whether or not this is possible? Most likely you need to talk specifically with a Growatt engineer to find out if this is doable? Maybe perhaps it can work if one inverter is shut off, and it functions only as a single inverter putting out only 120VAC.

Perhaps one important question that needs to be asked is why you want to switch in the first place. I'm of the general inpression that split-phase generators are more or less of generally higher output, and maybe also generally better quality, so why is it important to you to switch from split-phase to single phase.
View attachment 117692
The TDS of the existing generator is quite High so there is a concern of shortening the life of inverters

The TDS of the existing generator is quite High so there is a concern of shortening the life of inverters
I'm not sure what the "TDS" acronym is? Is that supposed to mean "Total harmonic distortion"? If that is the case, I'd agree that there are some quite dirty generators out there. But again, why replace a split-phase generator with a single-phase one? Is it just cost?

I'm not sure what the "TDS" acronym is? Is that supposed to mean "Total harmonic distortion"? If that is the case, I'd agree that there are some quite dirty generators out there. But again, why replace a split-phase generator with a single-phase one? Is it just cost?
We already have the split phase generator but the idea is to switch it for a cleaner option on second thought inverter might be too small anyway

If you are trying to convert euorpean (220V) to US 240 Split phase, I don't think it's possible unless you use an isolation transformer. [220||120,N,120] .

If you are trying to connect a 115V single phase generator to a 230 split phase you run into the problem that some circuits wont get power and 230 loads will have have the voltage. Maybe you can plan ahead for which circuits are optional and how to disconnect the 230V loads when you engage the 115V generator.

Back